Rams

Rotrex Charged Storm: She's Gone!

Ahh, cheers.

I will have a listen shortly, I hear the obd2 TB humming but didn't actually put my ear to it with the engine off.

Attended dub at the pub with Jez the other week, wasn't the best of shows, we were there for 10 mins and left. It also started raining.

Got it fitted.

Also checked aux pump and I'm not sure if its working, not hearing or feeling anything..

Would it come up on vat com if it wasn't working?

I will ask Craig to have a listen to his, or I have a wiring fault when I did the conversion?

Also this bearing I bought ages ago from VW, is it a bearing for a steering rack? Has anyone replaced one before? Or noticed any difference once they had?

No problems on the lights . Good to hear :)

I love what you've done with the car. We will have a chat about boost levels the next time I'm around.

In the mean time get the battery tray looked at... It's a bit sorry for itself.

No problems on the lights . Good to hear :)

I love what you've done with the car. We will have a chat about boost levels the next time I'm around.

In the mean time get the battery tray looked at... It's a bit sorry for itself.

Looked like it was a bit rusty on the edge but will have this done when the engine replacement takes place. The engine bay will be fully painted and sorted out along with a new slam panel. I've sorted a set of headlights out and will strip mine soon to clean the glass and use the different rear housings on the new ones.

Cheers again for your help!

My fog light on the driverside is not working. I connected that side back up as we were putting the bumper back on from when the car was having the charger fitted so I need to check this out. Need to get it on the ramp to check the wiring as the charge pipework is in the way.

I put some new fog light bulbs in just Incase it was the bulb and it still didn't work. New bulbs are brighter too.

---------- Post added at 6:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 6:29 PM ----------

Apparently the bearing is for the end of the housing on the steering column

Is that closer to the steering wheel end or the pedals? Would I need to remove the steering rack to replace this bearing?

Could it make the steering smoother?

Edited by Rams

Little update, not all good news but some good some not so good..

Start with the good news first, we sorted the suspension issue on the front and Gaz sent me the correct parts and its all gone back together nicely. Steering does feel a bit sharper but there was quite a bit of traffic around.

The not so good news, I heard a funny noise from near the charger and we found it was the tensioner, the belt has obviously stretched a bit and relaxed now since it was all fitted plus its been on the rolling rd etc.

So we re tensioned the belt and that solved the problem and the noise went. But we noticed the side of the tensioner pulley wheel has disintegrated and the belt looks slightly off centre to the next pulley.

So we need to space it out slightly to get it true, simple enough but need a replacement plastic pulley wheel if anyone has one spare?

Recently I've been noticing the power seemed to have vanished and I've been noticing that the car wasn't pulling properly, this has now been narrowed down to the belt / pulley issue. Phew. Since re adjusting the belt the power seems back.

It will give us the opportunity to get the pulleys lined up perfectly this time. I was always a bit dubious as you could see the belt just now spinning dead on. But the parameters are so fine with the fuel rail and bracket. Simple fix though. Talking a couple of few mm.

The next issue is this ******* of an aux water pump! Hands up, I'm defeated! Not usual Ramsay behaviour but I'm not getting anywhere. I've either got a wire missing from the 42 pin plug or its all to do with the yellow plug that works the aux pump/fan.

I bought another OBD2 loom and ancillary loom and wondering who I could take the car to for them to sort the loom and fit it? Happy to pay someone or take advise which company could do this. Happy to travel, just want it sorted really.

Or can I send the loom to a company/individual to delete what's not required and return it? I can then take the old out and connect new and hopefully find the wires I need to get the aux pump working to connect into that yellow plug.

Bought a Gruvenparts / second hand alternator pulley and ordered a new idler pulley from Gruven last night so no more plastic pulley.

I also re read the obd2 conversion thread and thinking about starting again myself and deleting the wires now I know a it more and take my time. Then fit it and remove it and re wrap it. Replacing the entire ancillary loom and main loom. I picked up a really good condition obd2 loom.

Or find someone skilful to do it?? Lol

Might give Vince a ring and see what they would charge to sort the loom?

My gruven pulley had a bit of slack in it (the bearing wasn't a tight fit like stock) which might help with your belt alignment issue.

Vince is good with looms and can sort your aux pump but the pump trigger is the same on OBD2. Pins 1 & 4 of the yellow (or green/black) trigger the pump, which is powered from the red/black wire in the T14 connector in the fan controller. If you're getting a signal from the sender and nothing out of T14, I'd say the controller is dead. If you're getting 12V from the black/red wire across ground, then the pump is dead.

Ahh, that's useful to know.

When we fitted the kit, it was nearing the end of a month or so of the car being in the workshop and my mech stripped 2 heads and an engine for me so I could prepare the next engine, stripped mine, all the fab and ARP's and I think we were all keen to get the thing fired up and out of the workshop.

Although it's the only snag I've had and I always knew the belt had a little wobble and was more to one side on the front pulley. My own fault really.

332.4 horses is bound to show weakness in the setup but the engine still feels and sounds smooth and strong.

I was reading some of the threads last night. Well until about 4am, once I start I can't stop. But a stock engine with a 1 point drop and ARP's, handle 15 psi? I'm at .8 nearly .9 of boost on a 90mm pulley, if the 80 mm went on, would that take me beyond 15 psi?

Need to check the conversion between bar and psi.

As we will be taking the charger off to sort the pulleys, I'm wondering to try the 80mm one. Could it be that simple or will Vince need her back to map?

So you're 9:1 at the moment?

It's hard to say with the pullies but it's likely 80mm will take you to 15psi, or a little more. Bobbi would know as he ran 18psi I think.

Yeah Vince will need to tweak the map if you up the boost!

Yes I'm at 9.1- used the schimmel spacer/gasket.

Bobby ran 18 psi, your right. Although he had the charge cooler and 4 inch MAF and shorter pipe work so I imagine I would loose some boost due to how mine is setup so until then I wondered if I could get away with it?

I imagine that with my boost loss I would be around the 15 psi mark with the 80mm pulley... I'm getting impatient again and really I should wait for the new engine rebuild but it is tempting.

If you hear of an engine that's been rebuilt or someone has bough all the parts and changed their plan please give me a shout..

Do you secretly miss playing with the Corrado or are you over them now? You've been a great help over the years btw. I've been using this forum for at least 10 years now and you've always had great input.

You'll be OK with 15psi on 9:1. Supers don't dump their boost into the engine in one great lump like turbos do but if you go over 15psi, I'd recommend 8.5:1.

I think I must have missed you mentioning a new engine, but are you getting one built up with forged pistons? If a new engine is in the pipeline anyway, go on, whack the boost up, you know you want to :D If you're currently not intercooled, you shouldn't be losing any boost but yep, the schimmel chargecooler is extremely free flowing. Not even half a psi pressure drop.

Have a look on the VR6OC forum as I know folk tend to sell engine parts on there quite frequently.

I do miss playing with the Corrado yeah. It was so easy to work on! But after the turbo and then the R32 engine, it was definitely time to move on and yep, I'm over them now :D Can you believe I've only seen one Corrado since I sold mine in September?!! Super rare cars!

Having said that, I've also only seen 1 MK4 R32 on the roads in 3 months! Plenty of MK5 Rs and like Corrado owners, there's mutual respect shown, which is nice and enhances the ownership a bit doesn't it.

No worries mate, I'm always around, lurking, to assist with any technical Qs :D

Well that's good, I did wonder if I will end up doing what you did but I guess you will know when enough is enough.

I think probably more people miss you not having a C than you do. It's always been Kev and the Corrado!

So the engine- I have a spare bottom end and top end from an obd2. So has the extra oil outlet. Pistons etc all removed so both are bare.

The plan was to buy all the Woosners and the likes and build it up so its as bullet proof as can be and then up the boost and charge cooler etc.

Recently I've been thinking, well, if I just stick that 80mm pulley on and it does go bang it's an excuse to crack on with the other engine build. But I think she can take it. Chains, tensioner, cooling system, albeit no working Aux pump, drivetrain etc is like new.

I do need bigger brakes as when you are in boost range and need to back off the obd2 doesn't quite shut down straight away like the obd1 does and when your hitting the brakes there's a moment of nothing till the boost drops off and they start biting harder. My 288 aren't really up to the job but suffice if your not stupid.

I read that the obd2 learns more of your driving style and as its electronically controlled there's a smoother transition between shifts as the throttle hasn't fully backed off. Do you concur?

I've for to remove the charger next week to change the pullies etc so I think I'm going to try the 80mm out. If I'm at 332 Don't forget the .4 lol, maybe I could see the magic 350..... Would It be a simple task for Vince to re map as in not take as long to do?

Or would it just be a quicker pick up and not necessarily more Brake Horse power?

Rams, yes Bobby did...but remember that was on a fully forged so 2 point drop in compression, and re-built engine!

Whilst his first engine made very good power (just using a spacer gasket)...I seem to remember he said in his build thread that when it was stripped down (the first engine) they found he'd been running on 5.5 cylinders for a while!!! Bearing in mind he had better cooling of his boost at that time than you currently have also.

Yes I'm at 9.1- used the schimmel spacer/gasket.

Bobby ran 18 psi, your right. Although he had the charge cooler and 4 inch MAF and shorter pipe work so I imagine I would loose some boost due to how mine is setup so until then I wondered if I could get away with it?

Don't know where all the text went? Vanished...

Anyway, new Gruven pulley to be fitted Monday then pullies can be aligned properly and full power should be resumed.

This is my new daily also

So managed to get the new Gruven pulley fitted, some spacers and pulleys line up. One thing though, once the belt is spinning it's got a wobble and doesn't look true.

Not sure if this is the belt that's slightly deformed or the other pulley at fault?

So either need to try a new belt or a different front pulley but the pulley looks fine.

The adaptor for this pulley needed to be shaved down, it's been shaved again yesterday so it's now flush when it's slides on the tensioner. See pic.

It's not rubbing and full speed is back and the car feels great again. So that's good news. Just want to see the belt to round without any wobbles...

Had the new spacers fitted to the front and stance looks good now. Debating on trying the 35mm adaptors on the rear as I still have space.

Also, next week, my obd2 loom is coming out, it's sellable as the aux fan wiring can be amended and for someone that needs an obd2 loom almost 100 percent complete along with engine hardness - give me a shout.

I will take mine out, sit them next to one another, re fit and make sure it's all neat and that my ballsing Aux pump works! Then I can re fit everything and finally have the interior all where it should be. It's been ages coming.

Edited by Rams

Some more bits trimmed, I just love the Alcantara bits. Feel so much nicer. It's a pleasure to lift the handbrake now! Lol

Also the rear plastic boot trim is done in Leather. Just need to fit it. I had a job removing it as the lock keep, one of the Allen bolts was welded on there. It's out now and copper slipped!

Before and after. Now I have a re trimmed leather one and Alcantara one. Like Saxso with interchangeable bits! Just a bit posher!

Dropped off my original gear knob for some Alcantara treatment and the little glove box strip that covers screws. This will be in leather.

now that is really nice. Would love to see your car some day Rams, just seems the pinnacle of Corrado luxury.

Cheers buddy, I want to do another steering wheel, Alcantara at the top from stitch lines and leather everywhere else.

I've also got back in touch with an old friend who works for a tunning company, met at a BBQ and didn't stop chatting all night.

Took the Corrado down to him so he could have a look as I think my inlet pipe is sucking closed when really going for it towards the red line. So we are going to make all new pipe work and run an intercool. We even discussed relocating the charger to sit below the alternator but these are just discussions as present. Also making a heat shield to fit the manifold and the intake pipe work. I think it's defeating the object to get cold air in with all that heat soaking the vital areas.

He's also talking to me about different ecu's but for now I'm going to try and improve the pipe work and fitter locations and see how that goes. Once I'm happy with that, the new engine work will commence. He will then make moulds that people can buy. Going for a black powder coated finish as the polished stuff irritates me where I'm not keeping on top of it.

Decided 4 wheel drive is just not what I want to do, so planning a LSD and stronger clutch and traction control. More than likely Wavetrac. Will also stick some new wish-bones in with r32 bushes as I'm not convinced on the poly ones I'm running.

Rams

Where do you get your interior parts trimmed? Looks like a very good job, and I'm gonna be doing mine in the next 6 weeks so need to find a place not too far away hopefully. I've been pointed in the direction of Trim Deluxe but was also looking for other options too.