daves16v

Query regarding windscreen seal

I've noticed part of the windscreen seal has an equal gap of about 5mm each end - see photo. Now I know this isn't right, no gap on my valver.

I'm guessing when this strip was pressed into the gap it wasn't stretched enough or maybe it just isn't long enough, probably not the latter as it would have been pulled out to change the screen then popped back in.

So can I remove it and refit properly?

Thanks

there is four pieces all together,the one main outer trim, two sides and the top seal that you have,but like most rubber seals they shrink over time... :( leaving that gap.

there is four pieces all together,the one main outer trim, two sides and the top seal that you have,but like most rubber seals they shrink over time... :( leaving that gap.

Is it available from the dealer?

Probably mate,but i know auto windscreen places do a seal kit which will be a fraction of dealer costs,but be warned you will have to remove the outer seal which will probably be glued in place if the screen was replaced and the top trim is slotted on to the top of the glass as is the two side sections,its not a easy job and might end up having the screen removed to do it properly,it might be best to fill it with silicone?

i fitted windscreens for living and i wouldnt attempt it mate youll end up with more problems then the gap youve got allready

stu

i fitted windscreens for living and i wouldnt attempt it mate youll end up with more problems then the gap youve got allready

stu

Stu, what are my options, silicone sealant or something similar? Will I get leaks if don't bother filling it?

Dave

Check mine out Dave.

http://the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=87283&start=15

I really don't wanna scare you here mate but I definitely would wanna know if there was something like this lurking on mine ever again in plenty of time. I'm sure worst case scenario your's won't be anything like as bad as mine. Mine had a new screen at some point in the past that was never properly sealed. Good job I found it when I did or it would have gone beyond repair! I hope you don't have to look at anything this depressing on your new motor.

I'd defo check behind the rubber and if all seems ok then you've lost nothing just gives you the peace of mind. But if there is some rust there best to find it sooner than later.

Thankfully mine's in the garage now being welded and waiting to be sprayed.

My outer seal (the one on top that runs all the way round) has come loose. What do you guys suggest for sticking it back down?

i got the same problem with my valver to, at 90mph (not that i dirve that fast :wink: ) it comes out and starts vibrating the hell out of the roof, so annoying... when i finally get it back from being painted the last thing i want is that seal vibrating on the new paint

i got the same problem with my valver to, at 90mph (not that i dirve that fast :wink: ) it comes out and starts vibrating the hell out of the roof, so annoying... when i finally get it back from being painted the last thing i want is that seal vibrating on the new paint

Yeah, I'm getting tiny scratch lines appearing above it. Need to sort it before winter.

Yeah, I'm getting tiny scratch lines appearing above it. Need to sort it before winter.

annoying hey. It does polish out with a DA, but not the point, bloody thing

Check mine out Dave.

http://the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=87283&start=15

I really don't wanna scare you here mate but I definitely would wanna know if there was something like this lurking on mine ever again in plenty of time. I'm sure worst case scenario your's won't be anything like as bad as mine. Mine had a new screen at some point in the past that was never properly sealed. Good job I found it when I did or it would have gone beyond repair! I hope you don't have to look at anything this depressing on your new motor.

I'd defo check behind the rubber and if all seems ok then you've lost nothing just gives you the peace of mind. But if there is some rust there best to find it sooner than later.

Thankfully mine's in the garage now being welded and waiting to be sprayed.

Oh that's crap! Could you see any rust creeping beyond the seal inside or outside the car? I want to check without removing the screen.

Just a really small blister underneath the paint, just starting to show itself creeping out the top of the rubber. Thought at 1st it was just a flaw in the respray (coz it wasn't a screen out job) so we ignored it for a bit.

If your car doesn't stink everytime u get in it then I'm guessing you don't have a leak. Just trial and error with the hose pipe should be enough to reveal anythin wrong. I'm sure you'll get away with just resealing though.

Good luck mate let me know how u get on :wink:

my windscreen outer 'seal' is loose in both the top corners, giving a lot of wind noise at speed. Looks like the windscreen as been replaced at some point in teh past because teh channel into which the seal fits is clogged with sealant. Whats the best way to remove the sealant and refit the top trim piece? Or would it be better to remove teh seal entirely, clean it all up and refit? Knowing my luck i'd end up scratching half the paint again...

my windscreen outer 'seal' is loose in both the top corners, giving a lot of wind noise at speed. Looks like the windscreen as been replaced at some point in teh past because teh channel into which the seal fits is clogged with sealant. Whats the best way to remove the sealant and refit the top trim piece? Or would it be better to remove teh seal entirely, clean it all up and refit? Knowing my luck i'd end up scratching half the paint again...

Thread Resurrection :)

I've got the same problem. First "spirited" run today after having the screen replaced in December. The outer seal across the top of the screen keeps popping out.

There is sealant in there. But not a lot of it. What should I use. Sikaflex, Wurth Classic Plus, Tiger Seal? Should I cut the existing sealant out before reapplying?

Never done this job before and I know this area can be a rust trap. Mine is like factory at the moment.

Or maybe they reused the old push-in seal? I wasn't there at the time to see them fitting. But it is a fitter well known and regarded on the Forum. Does a new push-in seal come with a new screen (Pilkington)?

I see the seals are only £7.50

535853307A01C

Edited by MikeVR6

When i had my screen fitted the guy had the screen and all the seals, He refitted the old outer seal as the new one was so out of shape it looked terrible and wouldn't sit very well. It come all screwed up in a tiny bag.

That £7.50 seal isn't the outer one, that the top one i think, fits onto screen before it goes in. Someone was recently selling 5 or 6 of the complete seal kits (on ebay) for about £36, i bought that for the outer seal, it came in a long tube so not all kinked etc. Not fitted it yet though. But i'll probably go around the seal with some silicone sealant before fitting it.

i would call the fitter out to sort it, it should come with at least a years warranty?

the last thing you want to do is squirt in lots of sealant and block the drain channel or seal in water

stu - autoglass fitter

Edited by STU175

i would call the fitter out to sort it, it should come with at least a years warranty?

the last thing you want to do is squirt in lots of sealant and block the drain channel or seal in water

stu - autoglass fitter

I would do Stu. But the fitting was done in the UK and the car is now back with me in Germany. So I gotta take care of it myself. Shame really as the rest of the job was as good as everyone on here who'd used them said it would be.

At least they didn't go the other way and completely fill the gap with sealant. I can see the bodywork around the screen when I pull the seal out. It's all like factory.

So how should I go about it and what do you recommend as a sealant?

And you're right Jim. The part no. is 535 845 127A

£26.80 from VW heritage. And the picture on their site is exactly how it shouldn't come :)

https://www.vwheritage.com/shop/535845127A/front-windscreen-surround-cover-section-corrado-89-95/

Looking at the trim today. I'm sure it's new and it's not kinked. They just were too careful with the sealant.

Edited by MikeVR6

Stu, what are my options, silicone sealant or something similar? Will I get leaks if don't bother filling it?

He said he did it for a living. He didn't give any indication of how good he was.

The Fitter has checked his e-mail and is sending me the right adhesive and some instructions. I'll post up how I get on.

Edited by MikeVR6

From VW/Audi

DH009100A2 for the Adhesive

D002000A2 for the Adhesive Remover (in case you get some on the bodywork ;)