Sign in to follow this  
Portent

Why a Corrado?

What is it about the Corrado that you love? A lot of cars have a fan base but what is it that attracts you to the Corrado? For me it's the looks, relatively small size, the sound (in VR6) and just as importantly the fact they are now getting rare. I could get a lot of other cars for similar money but I'm looking for a Corrado because they are unusual.

I suppose for me, some of the points would be:

* They're somewhat unique / individual.. you just don't see them around and I like that!

* I like that they have a pretty solid reputation for being a bit of a weapon.. gets you respect from fellow car enthusiasts :)

* All models / engines had their own characteristics.. they were all great for different reasons. But the VR6 is just sublime.

* The looks.. be it a nice clean early 1.8 16v on Sebrings, or the more muscular VR6 dropped on its original Speedlines - Karmann just got it right on the button with the looks. I never get bored of looking over my shoulder as I walk away from a Corrado.

* How you feel when you drive it. Took the VR out for a spin earlier today and after a quick dab of the loud pedal down some back lanes, I had a stupid great sh!t eating grin on my face all the way home. There just aint many 15 year old, £3000 cars that can do that to you.

from the first time i saw one, i was hooked.

seen as they came out in 1989 over 20years ago. i dont think they look old. the back lights let them down a bit on that aspect but hey. and then you drive one and it feels like a car should. makes you drive it rather than it driven you.

for me its just the lines i think they are amazing. for a mish mash from the volkswagen parts bin i think they came out trumps

and then theres, WHY NOT!!!

Been lusting after one since I was a teenager many moons ago and (as you know) I’m looking to acquire one right now.

Strange thing is that I have not met one person (car nuts or not) who doesn’t like the Corrado! Law of average tells me this is not possible, but honestly I have yet to meet one person who dislikes the C!

I have never driven one, but I remember all the car reviews at the time were good. EVO magazine had it rated as a 5-star car until a couple of years ago where it got downgraded to 4.5 stars! BOOOOO! :mad2: :D :mad2: :tongue:

Been lusting after one since I was a teenager many moons ago and (as you know) I’m looking to acquire one right now.

Strange thing is that I have not met one person (car nuts or not) who doesn’t like the Corrado! Law of average tells me this is not possible, but honestly I have yet to meet one person who dislikes the C!

I have never driven one, but I remember all the car reviews at the time were good. EVO magazine had it rated as a 5-star car until a couple of years ago where it got downgraded to 4.5 stars! BOOOOO! :mad2: :D :mad2: :tongue:

My wife hates them. She's the reason I didn't buy the brand new Storm I test drove in 95.

I've driven a few recently. Don't expect to be blown away compared to a modern car. I got back in my mk4 Golf 4Motion and realised how much cars had evolved since 95. My 4Mo feels quicker too. But they have real character and it feels a very 'personal' car.

Because you will be near enough a qualified mechanic after a couple of years owning one.

or know one very well :D

You guys are doing very well putting me off from buying one! :(

:D

Because you will be near enough a qualified mechanic after a couple of years owning one.

I can relate to that... i've learn so much since owning a Corrado.... though i dont mind getting my hands dirty if i've got a fair idea what im doing :D

For me -

- Again the looks, they still look damn sexy despite them getting on a bit now and even my modern standards dont look out of place and infact stand out in the sea of bland looking motors! :D

- The rareity of them, ou can gaurantee at least one person on each trip you take will point or thumbs up or even comment on the car.

- It may not be the fastest car on the road, but it just a pure pleasure to drive (when everything is working as it should)

and finally....

- The fan base is brilliant - this is members forum has cool, friendly and knowledgable folks 8) and this is just one of the corrado sites.

Dont let people put you off with tails of breaking down etc, that can happen with any car. The pros greatly out weigh the negatives. :D

My wife hates them. She's the reason I didn't buy the brand new Storm I test drove in 95.

I've driven a few recently. Don't expect to be blown away compared to a modern car. I got back in my mk4 Golf 4Motion and realised how much cars had evolved since 95. My 4Mo feels quicker too. But they have real character and it feels a very 'personal' car.

I have a 4mo aswell as the raddo (G60) and my previous car was a supercharged R32 i can relate to differences in terms of noise etc but i truely feel the raddo is just as good, the turn in is better it handles like a sports car should you have big disks all round fully independent rear suspension its so ahead of its time,

IMO styling is soooo dated but thats what i love about it its pure 80's styling and thats why it looks so dam cool,

Pete

Yes, I'm not disputing it's just as great a car. The handling will be far superior. But getting back into my 4Mo it just felt smooth, quiet and quick. But they are entirely different cars. The Corrado is a sports coupe. The 4Mo, at least my one, is a fast hatch that eats motorway miles and takes a family comfortably. It's the 4 door version, leather, aircon, cruise, etc, etc. It's just so smooth and pleasant to drive.

But it lacks character and fun, which the Corrado has in spades.

depends what carrado your after though. vr turbo will leave a 4motion for dead.

you havnt actually said why you want one other them being unusual. which in my opinion they are not - its a scirocco mk3 and a bridge between mk2/3 golf. its never going to be as refined as a car 10 years its junior but thats part of the appeal to most of us. it was made to drive not to be filled with electronic comforts/parts to weigh it down and interfere with handling/power/you actually driving the car based on your own abilities.

as you seem to have picked up on it was designed to be a sports coupe, very different to your golf so they are never going to compare well.

a corrado does what it says in every review since it was first made. looks good, drives well and will put a big ass smile on your face when you drive it like you stole it (might have swapped a few words there).

dont think they are the most reliable car in the world nor the most unreliable. they are getting on a bit and do need some tlc and some general updating of sensors/brakes/bushes etc.

on the whole if you really need to ask why people want one i can only conclude that you dont really want one in the first place.

And you're still married!? :eek:

The shape!

Bought it as a stop gap after my '53 plate focus got written off, and found one for a decent price so after an 80 mile journey I snapped it up!

Figured I'd keep it as a stop gap/short term project but think it might turn into much more...

It turns 21 at the end of may so I might have to treat it to something special!

Loving the attention it gets though, even if it's not in terribly good condition :p

The shape!

Bought it as a stop gap after my '53 plate focus got written off, and found one for a decent price so after an 80 mile journey I snapped it up!

Figured I'd keep it as a stop gap/short term project but think it might turn into much more...

Loving the attention it gets though, even if it's not in terribly good condition :p

89 model WOW! Yeah def deserves something special. What model and colour you got?

I see you're from leeds mate, may have seen you around Leeds. I see a few corrados round leeds but they never seem to be off here :( Im from Crossgates area.

there isnt many cars i would have over my VRT, number of reasons, Jim hit the nail on the head really...

golfs are boring :sleeping: my as well get a volvo if you want a comfy drive! corrados are for people who like their cars, who like driving their cars, and people who like driving in a damn site better looking car that you get nowadays

For me the first time I saw one, i fell in love with the way it looked, my opinion it has an aggressiveness about it that you dont get nowadays, the shape is timeless. I have seen mine parked up next to much more expensive prestigious cars (namely an Aston Martin that I'm thinking about at the moment) and ok I might be biased, but it didnt look out of place.

The looks is one thing, the way it makes you feel when you drive it is another thing. It is pure pleasure driving one, no gimmicks, nothing to interfere with the driving experience. The feedback is amazing on the car, makes you feel at one with the car, HUGE smiles at the end of a great blast down a nice road! The handling is something to talk about, the VR engine is something to talk about, the damned space in the rear is a lot more than most current coupes.

I've had mine near enough 5yrs now, and I still dont see me ever getting rid of it! I'd rather spend lots on it, to the point of it being uneconomical to keep rather than get rid of it!

I was originally in the market for a Porsche 944 Turbo or an S2, but I spotted 'my' Corrado in a little roadside dealer in the deepest, darkest depths of Norfolk. As the right 944 was still a lot of money back in 2003, the Corrado seemed like a steal for £5K, so I bought it and quickly fell in love with it. I don't know what it is with the Corrado. There is nothing remarkable about it at all mechanically, but it puts a grin on your face. It just does :D. It's definitely one of those cars that is greater than the sum of it's parts.

At the end of the day, you like what you like, it's as simple as that. There's no need to justify your choice of car to anyone :D

Oh and 4Motions are definitely slower than Corrado VR6s :D The 4Mo may 'feel' quicker on initial throttle opening, but point to point, it's not faster. If anything, the Corrado is quicker. And ask Pat McCrotch. His VR6 keeps pace with a MK5 R32 manual :D I don't get the same sense of over engineering from the newer VWs like I get from the old timers. Everything is built to a cost and specific stress level these days.

In a short drag race mine has comfortably outpaced a 4motion and kept pace with a MK4 R32, power to weight

Why a Corrado?

Its something you don't see on the road very often, even a little exotic :nuts: Doesn't compare too badly to other rare cars (maybe pushing things a bit now :norty: )

260720093091.jpg

My VR6 had cams to be fair ;) I reckon as standard the R32 would've been slightly faster

But not remapped to get the full benefit though :D

Have you seen the smoke from Edition 30 MK5s when they put their foot down? Not sure if it was just the one I followed today, but it didn't look healthy. 35mpg? My arse. As I say, VWs aren't made like used to be :D

I'm an old school fool....

The shape!

89 model WOW! Yeah def deserves something special. What model and colour you got?

I see you're from leeds mate, may have seen you around Leeds. I see a few corrados round leeds but they never seem to be off here :( Im from Crossgates area.[/quote:34p3ha0f]

Sorry it's a '90 model :( I'm a plonk and forgot how old I was :p I'm from Pudsey myself, but one of my friends lives in crossgates so I'm out and about there! I know there's 2 'rado's somewhere in harehills/roundhay, and 1 possibly in bradford (although rather misused sadly)