By 140mph we were neck and neck.

This went on for a good 10 miles, just playing cat and mouse. It was brilliant fun

Do you value your licence :shock:

Cant see it being fun if you end up with a VRT as an ornament....mind you wouldn't be short of buyers :D

By 140mph we were neck and neck.

This went on for a good 10 miles, just playing cat and mouse. It was brilliant fun

Do you value your licence :shock:

Cant see it being fun if you end up with a VRT as an ornament....mind you wouldn't be short of buyers :D

sorry again for the thread hijack here...

but what's the point in having a fast car if you're never going to drive above the speed limit?!?

granted, i hate immature driving and inappropriate speeding, but if the situation permits it then why not do speeds like that and beyond?

as long as you keep your wits about you, you'll be unlucky to get caught by plod. it's undoubtedly a risk we all take; but what's the point in having a car that will top out at over 150mph (and get there quickly) and then only using it to race up to 70 and sit there???

we may as well all drive round in diesel hatchbacks going by that train of thought

Loving the steels Graeme 8) I bet they weigh a tidy amount :D

Fitting the 3.68 final drive would effectively be free labour if you time it to coincide with a box overhaul, fitment of an LSD, new clutch etc.. Including the Quaife or Wavetrak and s/hand final drive, you're looking at around £1500 drive-in, drive-out price for somewhere like Stealth to do it. Doing the FD on it's own is going to cost you a strip down and rebuild anyway, so it doesn't make financial sense to do that on it's own.

I hate spending your money for you but again, a Vince gearbox rebuild is a thing of beauty :D The guy used to work at Gemini transmissions, so knows his way round a gearbox :D A chap called "HotGolf" on ClubGTI is also highly regarded with a rebuilds and can supply s/hand parts such as gears and final drives.

Remap not required 8)

I'm probably tempting fate saying this, but I've driven my VRT daily for nearly 4 years and never been stopped for speeding. In fact I can't remember the last time I voluntarily sat at 70mph. You physically can't do that anyway these days because there's always pensioners and trucks to slow down for and overtake, so you might aswell just sit in the outside lane doing 80-90 and avoid the f'ckers!

Just to reiterate, I don't drive at 100+ everywhere and race everyone in site. I just keep up with the flow of traffic and have fun every now and then. As Pete says, it's the whole point of owning cars like these :D

i have done 160mph, wont be doing it in a hurry again... i take mine to 140/150 if im giving it some or racing though :D

Stealth mode ............. :norty:

What brakes you running on this mate? Amazed you've been able to fit beetle steels over what look like 4 pots?

Top work!

IIRC they are Willwood Superlights, Mic. Can't remember the disc diameter however....

Wilwood 6 pots, 312mm discs!!!! :lol: 10mm spacer on the front. I had them lying about as I was going to put on my Mk4's winter tyres on them but maybe not now. Some 8in banded steels with Bora flat face wheels trims anyone.... :wink:

The car went to 143 on the rolling road at Stealth once but apart from that would not normally go above 100 the exceptions being early morning convoys to shows where we might tickle 120/130 - usually what happens is I'm then passed by a VRT :lol:

It does worry me that I'd lose my licence but adrenalin often gets the better of me - you try and be hyper aware of any danger of getting nabbed.

Apart from the handling much of the fun for me is the way it can accelerate above 50 and keep pulling for overtaking :) excessively high speeds don't really float my boat although its nice to know that the engine is capable of them when the mood takes you.

Looking very nice, but I'd leave the Compomotives on.

This car is built for a purpose, no point adding extra weight in the form of steelies :wink:

New C2 cat welded in, taken a little bit of edge of the exhaust note. Still think I'll try a centre silencer. Brand new lambda and LC1 probe as well. Seems to be running a lot smoother so Im confident the lambda was a bit iffy.

but what's the point in having a fast car if you're never going to drive above the speed limit?!?

granted, i hate immature driving and inappropriate speeding, but if the situation permits it then why not do speeds like that and beyond?

as long as you keep your wits about you, you'll be unlucky to get caught by plod. it's undoubtedly a risk we all take; but what's the point in having a car that will top out at over 150mph (and get there quickly) and then only using it to race up to 70 and sit there???

we may as well all drive round in diesel hatchbacks going by that train of thought

Reality check...sitting at 70 is one thing, having a 'blast' when most appropriate is another!

However two cars neck and neck at double that is another dimension as is 10 miles of cat and mouse.

As long as you don't get caught by plod though :cuckoo:

If you're looking for a 3.68fd I have one spare £50 + Post

I've gone back to 3.3 on mine, just hope I don't regret it as Kev says, the 3.68fd is great on the road.

My old shed is a lot lighter than a Corrado so it shouldn't matter too much. :sleeping:

3.68 is brilliant on the road, but no good for top speed runs :lol:

That cat looks too small to me. There's no expansion chamber to compensate for the restriction of the cat matrix. How many cells is it? Is it ceramic or metallic?

I had a metallic cat similar to that a few years ago and it did virtually nothing for emissions. Does the exhaust smell catalysed?

Its the one from C2 Motorsport, 300cell I believe. Not really driven with it yet but intend to put a few miles on this weekend to see if its running better with the new probes.

OK, 300 cell should be fine. It's the 100 cell ones that do virtually nothing and are pointless emissions wise. Just seen it on their website actually. It is indeed a metal one (stainless), which is what I had and it failed the MOT on emissions. The bloke even said I should fit a cat :lol:

Not necessarily. The stainless cat I had was a Milltek 300 cell and the car was supercharged at the time. I wasn't the only person to notice it's lack of effectiveness as a, erm, cat converter. I've also read some posts on various forums about ceramic cats being better at catalysing.... but anyway, see how it goes at the MOT. C2's is probably a Magnaflow one or something, which is a decent brand and a lot better than Milltek's junk.

Cars running fine now. Was worried as I was still getting high boost spikes so thought Id investigate and found the wastegate line was split. Now sorted.

Collected a few things today from the postie. First thing was the baffled sump from PurpleTom. 2nd I got myself a new silencer, what do you think?

Lastly Ive put the original plate back on to blend in a bit more. Thought about airflow to intercooler and tried doing something with the original plate. Didnt think this was too good so ordered a relfective stick on plate which luckily came with a plastic corregated backing plate. Cut the letters out and cut the backing plate. Think it looks ok and shouldnt attract any attention unless someone is really looking for it.

Sorry mate but this has been in my mind from the start, I even defaced my old VRT pate as those on the Scottish trip will testify.

Haha it's not an original idea by any means, I can't claim to be an influence