Sign in to follow this  
PhatVR6

Carbon Fibre Bonnet

Anyone in the UK running one of these? if so, where did you get it, how much did it cost, is the quality any good, and can we have some pics please!

I've never seen one in the uk but on some US sites I've seen a couple.

I saw a corsa the other day which had a carbon bonnet, well I thought it was. It turned out to be a carbon look sticker that covered the bonnet, the bubbles in it looked fantastic.

I been quoted around the £500 mark from auto perfections in Harrow, London, at the same time i saw one they had for a mk3 golf and they are really light compared to the originals, also mates got one on his honda i have to rush off now but i'll try to post some picutres tonight

the bubbles in it looked fantastic.

ROFL, I can imagine ;)

they are such stylish geezers

Anyone in the UK running one of these? if so, where did you get it, how much did it cost, is the quality any good, and can we have some pics please!

Contact All Smile on 07970422554

g-man was looking into geting a batch made. Dont know what the outcome was.

Bahn Brenner do a late shape one....the exchange rate is good just now so it might be a bargan! Dont know the quality tho.

I've seen all smiles mk2 bonnets, not that impressed with the quality of finsih to be honest with you, not for £600 anway... maybe £300.....

the problem with importing one from the states is that you can't see it first, and it's likely to be damaged in transit too.

The steel Corrado bonnet is a weighty structure, so I can see the advantage of a CF one.....but will standard paints stick to it, or do you need a special primer?

The steel Corrado bonnet is a weighty structure, so I can see the advantage of a CF one.....but will standard paints stick to it, or do you need a special primer?

The only ones I've seen have been left unpainted.

Also I've heard horror stories of people being de-capitated by the un-bending CF bonnets in serious frontal impacts... :shock:

Golf Rallye style bonnet hinge hooks would solve that problem.

Then again, if I crashed my Corrado I'd want to die!

Carbon Fibres are now being coloured in the US, Looks really good but expensive!

Theres a company doing saxo,106 carbonfibre bonnets for around £400 for the grannymobile racers,

then they'l chuck on there £10 led washer jets! :roll:

I'm looking to spend £600 max, and I want a carbon one with a red kevlar weave in it (so it looks purple).

If you see one, let me know please.

I dont understand why you would pay 600 pounds for a cf bonnet for reducing about 6-7 kg in weight. The real weight cuts would be replacing the bumpers with plastic or fibreglass ones, have you felt how heavy the front and rear bumpers are?? You will be saving about 20-30 kg right there,remove spare wheel and tools and you got another 15kg off,plus there are loads of other lil things which contribute to the weght before you have to result into a cf bonnet. I think it would be better if you spend that money on the engine rather than weight :wink: .

Yeah doing the bonnet alone isn't going to do wonders on the 1/4 strip......you need to look at the whole car when doing a weight reduction program. Lighter bonnet, wings, doors, thinner glass or perspex, sunroof removal etc etc but then you're reducing the structural integrity of the car.....so you might aswell just buy a bloody Caterham where all the weight reduction has been done for you.

Only a 6Kg weight saving?? I don't think so. have you any idea how much the corrado bonet weighs?!!?

As for spending the money on the engine instead, that's the biggest load of b4lls I've heard all year. Weigh saving is far more effective than engine tuning. You can't do much to the VR6 with £500 except maybe a set of cams or a re-chip.

Oh, and before you lecture me on drag racing and weight saving you might want to take a look at my last project car....

It ran a 13.75. Which, as far as I know, is the fastest normally aspirated VR6 in the country.

that green C is :pukeleft::pukeright: New thread: "worst looking corrado ever"? that green one would make a great start...