Kevin Bacon

G 000 450 02 - Sunroof lubricant

Just thought I'd mention I now have a fully operational sunroof again after 7 years of manual cranking, thanks to that grease.

It seems Bentley weren't exaggerating when they say "DO NOT use a multipurpose lubricant"

That's the good news. The bad news is the grease is apparently soon to be obsolete, or obsolete already. I got 3 or 4 tubes of it when I had the chance. Basically I stripped down the sunroof, cleaned it all up and reassembled with a whole tube of that grease and it's absolutely perfect now 8)

Yep, from the stealers.

I started taking some pics to do a rebuild guide, but never got round to it. I think there's a guide on the site's wiki actually....but here's the grease. It reminds me of a slightly runny Vaseline actually, so maybe that could be a good alternative?

Kev, it's not obsolete. The tube had EXPIRED! i.e. Past it's sell by date last month and had to be removed from stock. Hence why it was 'thrown away' :lol:

Don't ask me why it has an expiry date... :gag:

Yep, from the stealers.

I started taking some pics to do a rebuild guide, but never got round to it. I think there's a guide on the site's wiki actually....but here's the grease. It reminds me of a slightly runny Vaseline actually, so maybe that could be a good alternative?

would KY jelly work?

Yep, from the stealers.

would KY jelly work?

Depends on what your trying to lube up!!!! :lol:

Kev, it's not obsolete. The tube had EXPIRED! i.e. Past it's sell by date last month and had to be removed from stock. Hence why it was 'thrown away' :lol:

cool, i'll have some more that is in date then please!

obviously contains organic ingredients if it goes off, so yeah, ky jelly should work too !

All lubricants regardless of manufacturing source (petrolchemical or organic) have a shelf life. The reason is that they are a blend of materials that either separate over time or they attract moisture which degrades the performance. (So now you know :))

The best bet is a fresh unopened pot of lube for whatever you happen to be lubing :eek:

Got a tube of this from the stealers last week - circa €23 - see below. I've done the front guide rails and the wind barier pivots, but it is pretty tricky to get at the mech that's used for the tilt position - anyone any ideas ? Does the roof have to come out for greasing up - I'm thinking of using a small conical tip that's quite long, with the end cut off.

I've done the front guide rails and the wind barier pivots, but it is pretty tricky to get at the mech that's used for the tilt position - anyone any ideas ? Does the roof have to come out for greasing up - I'm thinking of using a small conical tip that's quite long, with the end cut off.

Any further useful advice on this? gonna do this myself soon

Thanks

It's easier to lube the front and rear channels with the panel removed. Removing the old dirty grease first is a good idea too.

It will get everywhere once you wind the roof back and forth a few times anyway. I would just cram a load into the channels and then wipe away the excess after several back n forths.

That grease works really well on double glazing and other sliding mechanisms too :D

lol... I can actually picture Kev going around his house, applying this stuff to door hinges, the toilet seat hinges, etc.

The current price is £22.52 including VAT minus discount if you can wangle it..... so quite dear

The current price is £22.52 including VAT minus discount if you can wangle it..... so quite dear

Sqeezed from a rare German mammals is it? My lord, you get by Goose grease cheaper :lol:

would KY jelly work?

I wouldn't use it, its a Water based lubricant that will quickly dry out and may cause corrosion. You save that bottle for your own use :camp:

£23 is alot but mine only ran out a few months ago and I must have had it for over 10 years.

If you don't get your car serviced by VW every year then you really must buy this as ist's part of the shcedule!

Any chemists on the forum who could do an analysis on the grease?

It's probably just whale blubber or something :lol:

It's the same with VAG's "Holt bolt paste" which is crazy money, but it's just nickel paste (like copper ease) you can get huge tubs of for 3 bucks in Walmart....

Any chemists on the forum who could do an analysis on the grease?

It's probably just whale blubber or something :lol:

It's the same with VAG's "Holt bolt paste" which is crazy money, but it's just nickel paste (like copper ease) you can get huge tubs of for 3 bucks in Walmart....

My Dads a polymer chemist... Does it not have an ingredients list on the back of the tub Kev? I could ask him to decipher the Systematic meanings for us

Get it done!I can get mine for £17 plus the vat but if we can find the same stuff cheaper I'm on it!