Sign in to follow this  
robrado974

worse job to do on the c?

it has to be the sunroof cassette ,sunroof and headlining what pigging nightmare! oh not to mention the glovebox! .

Two words that send fear into the hearts of any Corrado owner. Ignition switch OR heater matrix.

Two words that send fear into the hearts of any Corrado owner. Ignition switch OR heater matrix.

ignition switch = loads of swearing and throwing of all screwdrivers you own.

heater matrix = more swearing and throwing the entire halfords pro tools over the driveway and giving the missus a slap when she says "it cant be that hard to do"

So far ive had to do the sunroof and ignition switch, im sure heater matrix isnt too far down the line.

Ignition switch was horrible. Seats out, lying on my back with the thing in the floor in my back, trying to undo a screw that i couldnt physically see, using a screwdriver i had to bend to a 35deg angle. Nightmare!!!

Just broke the metal lump that the ignition switch sits in - due to trying to get out those stupid bolts that they purposly used "rounded" of heads on and some locktite...:(

Well, well, new orderes.........but yea, it includes a he** of a lot of swearing doing that switch...

thank god my matrix is fairly new! talking of nuts n screws you cant see ,how bout the dashboard nuts under the metal frame where scuttle panel is?.they must come high on the list to cause you to curse ,sweat n swear :lol:

thank god my matrix is fairly new! talking of nuts n screws you cant see ,how bout the dashboard nuts under the metal frame where scuttle panel is?.they must come high on the list to cause you to curse ,sweat n swear :lol:

done four heater matrix's so i can do that with my eyes closed, i took my dash out toady and it seriously took me no more than 20 minutes.

AGREED HEATER MATRIX IS UTTER NIGHTMARE :shocked!:

Heater Matrix is defo the worst one I've had to do. Most other things just very fiddly, rather than difficult, spoiler mech, brake pos sensor etc.

its got to be the heater matrix , and the ignition switch i need to do the sun roof which i've been putting off :?

when doin sunroof the felt type seal is a pig , getting it all in is a two man job realy . where abouts in berks you based b4ljx? i moved from london to berkshire ,spent a good 20 years there before movin to devon .

windsor - i've had the g60 parked up a couple of years in storage, just gettinig bits ready for mot in a couple of weeks :D

good luck with her mate. i used to live in reading .worked in windsor ,slough and the like aswell.

The heater matrix write up is excellent Kris :notworthy:

I had a problem with the heater matrix on my A4 & everyone was telling me that it was an all day job and that it was gonna cost big time. Then my next door neighbour told me to locate the two hoses that sit through the bulk head, remove both hose clips & hoses. Then put a pressure washer to one hose & blast it. I couldn't believe the amount of brown stuff that came out the other hose :D I didn't think it would work but thought it was worth a try.

If anyone had of seen me... I was standing holding the pressure washer & laughing to myself like a raving lunatic with brown water gushing out all over the engine. That was last summer & its still working fine. Not everyone will be so lucky but its just something to try before getting the tools out :salute:

Ignition switch is a PITA but in terms of complexity, it's not a terrible job. It's a few screws. If you've got the right screwdriver and you've done it before, it doesn't take too long.

I can imagine that the heater matrix or something where you need to rip the engine out is as bad as it gets tbh!

All I need now is for someone to come up with a quick fix for repairing the sunroof :)

sunroof is a piece of pee to replace,

I can get a headlining and roof casette out in 10 minutes on a bad day.

Getting it back in is more hassle if your working alone but even so its still not a bad job.

Retrofitting air con, thats what i call a pig of a job especially when your trying to do a neat job..

one job ive actually given up on and not tired since is fitting the bit of metal that the door pin screws onto. I just cant get it to stay :brickwall:

With removing the ignition switch it helps if you replace the screw with a small allen screw; 1-2mm. It's then really easy to remove and replace just using a ball-end allen key. Obviously this won't help getting it out in the first place though :). Alternatively/additionally you can get the sheer bolts off really easily using Irwins. You can then take the ignition barrel off the steering column altogether and the ignition switch is easy to remove. Obviously you need to replace the sheer bolts with cap screws or similar though.

Funny thing is, im the single worst mechanically minded bloke i know but i managed to change the ignition switch in about 20 minutes once i found the right screwdriver to get the tiny screw off (finding the right one took half the time!)....

I dare not try do anything else... im yet to even service a damn car!

this post should have a health warning,gone into a cold sweat after mawrick suggested may ignition switch coud be at fault.!!!!

Funny thing is, im the single worst mechanically minded bloke i know but i managed to change the ignition switch in about 20 minutes once i found the right screwdriver to get the tiny screw off (finding the right one took half the time!)....

I dare not try do anything else... im yet to even service a damn car!

Was not able to get a screwdriver in there - but not sure if it might differ due to tilt on steering and airbag.....reason why I think it was PIA was the 2 bolts holding the switch assembly - beiing rounded of from the factory :(, and ended up braking some stuff...lol...:)