Sign in to follow this  
skinnyman9000

My R8 driving day

Had my R8 driving experience this morning at Bruntingthorpe.

Bloody awesome machine! Acceleration is amazing. Agree with what some people on here have said though, the driving position feels very similar to a rado, although i'd say the steering feedback isnt as good as a well sorted C. :luvlove: I managed to hold off a Carrera GT on the first lap and pass a 430 on the 3rd lap. We'd been having a tussle for most of the 2nd lap and the instructor encouraged me to floor it out of a corner a little sooner than i should have to get past him, the instructor was more excited about it than me! I know he's never going to tell anyone they're crap, but he sounded genuinely impressed with my driving, even managed a 38/40 score :norty:

I got the typical reply too when i told the instructor i drove a rado, the old "ah G60 or VR6?". ALWAYS the same, and always the same "oh" when you say the 1.8 valver.

Some random trivia for you here too, my instructor used to work for Spax and actually designed the coilovers used on the Max Power Reiger kitted rado.

All in though a bloody good day and i cant wait to get back out in something else.

Lucky man, glad you had a good one :) ......I absolutely love the R8, unfortunately the rado is as close as I'm ever gonna get and lets be honest thats not particularly close despite some of the comments on the CF :(

Glad you enjoyed it mate. I don't know about you but when I drove the R8 I felt right at home and it was immediately REALLY confidence inspiring - it was perfectly behaved & very sure footed. I drove the R8 on the same day as a Lamborghini Murcielago and an Aston DBS and I would have had the Audi R8 several times over the other cars. Just SO much more of a drivers car and everything about it blew me away, apart from the very slow semi automatic gearbox which let it down marginally.

cool mate. always fancied something like this.. im guessing it was a gift but if you had bought it for yourself would you say it was worth the money?

It was a christmas gift. Unfortunately i think my missus paid a pre-crimbo inflated price, but you can do it now for £80, definately worth it at that price.

cool mate. always fancied something like this.. im guessing it was a gift but if you had bought it for yourself would you say it was worth the money?

Worth padding it out and doing a few more cars if your budget can stretch. It is well worth the experience even at £80, but it's over so quickly.. you could probably find a 2 or 3 supercar "bundle" for the £160 mark.

But yea - definitely worth it :)

Thats excellent mate, good on ya! I would love to eventually be able to do something like that! :D

You have a Nissan GT-R! You don't need to! People normally PAY to come and drive a GT-R! :)

Thats excellent mate, good on ya! I would love to eventually be able to do something like that! :D

You have a Nissan GT-R! You don't need to! People normally PAY to come and drive a GT-R! :)

Haha, I would still love to drive other supercars :tongue:

`i had one for my 21st birthday and i drove a Porsche 911, Lambo Gallardo, Ferrari F430, and a Aston DB9, all of which are awesome machines.

R8 definitely very close in feel and soul to the Corrado, having driven both the V8 and V10 versions, and better built than Astons and Ferrari etc.

I also liked the Gallardo's I've driven which are very similar if a bit harder edged than the R8s. One thing I would say is the Italians/British know how to make a car sound great. The R8's aren't a patch on the Astons and Ferrari's for noise and road presense.

Never driven the GT-R but would love to, only a week left at the current job though so I guess that's not going to happen now! :(

The only disappointing part of the day was the silences on the cars. When i arrived they had them all lined up, so i was looking forward to hearing them all fire up and drive off, but when they did they all sounded like middle of the road hatchbacks. Couldnt even hear the R8 on tickover