Sign in to follow this  
The_Dude

TOP GEAR - last of the series this week

lol - yeah, the "vegetarian option" made me laugh as well with the BBQ. It's quite a relief for the opening show to have made even us, the toughest of critics for Top Gear, laugh several times :)

lol - yeah, the "vegetarian option" made me laugh as well with the BBQ. It's quite a relief for the opening show to have made even us, the toughest of critics for Top Gear, laugh several times :)

I've come to accept the fact that Top Gear is no longer a programme for car enthusiasts, but an entertainment programme loosely based on cars and I've been enjoying it a lot more since doing so. You're not going to learn anything particularly insightful about the cars save for price, 0-60 times and how well you can sling the back out going round a corner, but they have some gorgeous and insane supercars to drool over and the challenge section is always good for a load of amusing tomfoolery in the name of trying to find the 'best' of whatever heaps they have bought that week by using a nonsensical points system.

Yeah, some part of me does want them to go back to actually doing proper roadtests, but then I think about 5th Gear and how stodgy its become.

Oh and that Reliant section had me in stitches last night :rofl:

Bump. Should be a good'un tonight. The boys have 5 grand to spend a sports saloon that's good for the shops and the track. Some good classic choices [but obviously no Rado as its a coupe :)] and Captain Slow does a power test with a couple of Porkas.

Good show as always, and then followed by "How to build...." (a Jet engine), so a brilliant night's TV :D

I never knew what a dog legged 1st gear was for until last night, so TG is also an educational program :D

I like the idea of the 911 Sports classic as those fuchs 'cookie cutter' rims are classics, but £140K for a base model 911 with some old school wheels and a tail is a complete p1ss take imo.

Yeah last nights episode was good, liked the £5k challenge - although used to have 190 cossie and there is no way in hell you could get it into reverse without knowing it, as May was doing, as you have to lift and push the stick miles to the left - but as someone has said before I'm coming to terms with TG being entertainment more than anything else now !!

I love the 911 classic, complete rip off but great.

I really enjoyed the Sports Saloons bit. I have a secret crush on the old Cosworths... :help:

Would have liked to have seen a bit more on that really. It not really a car program anymore, its automotive comedy.

I could be wrong, but there were only 2 car review in the entire program, both for cars that we either cant buy or are totally useless in the UK.

But they did a very good piece on Corrados a few years back so that buys them a lot of slack.

Almost soiled myself when they drove that 190E Merc over the bridge at the start of the segment. It looked stunning! Got a real thing for those old late 80's / early 90's Mercs :(

Almost soiled myself when they drove that 190E Merc over the bridge at the start of the segment. It looked stunning! Got a real thing for those old late 80's / early 90's Mercs :(

I’d consider swapping the VR6 to a black 190E 2.5-16 (one of the cars on my ‘realistic-next-car-list’), but would that be madness? :D

I’d consider swapping the VR6 to a black 190E 2.5-16 (one of the cars on my ‘realistic-next-car-list’), but would that be madness? :D

I had a 190E 2.3-16 and to be honest I wouldnt swap my C for it.....dont get me wrong the Merc was lovely, but I always felt it was at odds with itself......the engine is a beaut and when pushed will shift but your never quite sure weather you are driving a sports car or big tourer as it feels reasonably big and heavy !!

Rear wheel drive is nice though, seating four pretty comfortably is bonus and they are built like brick out houses ..... would imagine finding good one now is difficult though.

Total madness, what would you do with all the money you didn't spend trying to keep a Corrado going!!!!!!!! :shrug: :shrug:

Danny & Wullie,

I’ve always wanted a 190E 2.5-16 Evo II, so a normal Cossie would be the next best thing. Anyway ignore me; the C is a keeper anyway. :D

2778768242_289e0a198b.jpg

lol really Jim :norty: Kelly brook, or Jen Aniston do it for me mate but what ever float your boat :) im jokin :wink: :wink: seriously tho there is something about old german cars E30 BMW M3 the Merc 190 cossie an array of VW's and Audi for this ere is it just me and Jim ?? I think its just cos i was brought up in the 80's maybe, Jim ive just realised we like MILF's when it comes to cars! :roll: ahhhhhhmmmm Motors Id Like to............. Floor!!!!!! :eek: :roll:

......seriously tho there is something about old german cars E30 BMW M3 the Merc 190 cossie an array of VW's and Audi for this ere is it just me and Jim ?? I think its just cos i was brought up in the 80's maybe.........

its precisely that for me, just remember watching 190's and M3's racing around in the DTM on Eurosport.......what about the wide body Alfa 155 :luvlove:

Yeah I'm an 80s kid and remember the E30 M3, Merc Cosworth, Sierra Cosworth etc etc very well. And the Ferrari engined Lancia Thema was a pin up (next to Sam Fox and Linda Lusardi obviously!) :D

Thing is though, they say you should never meet your hero as he / she may not live up to your expectations and that is especially true with cars. In recent years I've been out in 993 911s, E30 and E36 M3s, Sierra Cosworths but in all honesty, their handling and performance is pretty average by modern standards....and the interiors :gag: I don't remember them being that bad at the time. I mean my Grandad's Manta GTE interior was pretty ghastly, but the Sierra's (apart from the excellent seats) is comedy :D

I think the only car remaining I haven't tried, but still have a very soft spot for is: The UR Quattro :notworthy:

Thing is though, they say you should never meet your hero as he / she may not live up to your expectations and that is especially true with cars.

Same thing with the Corrado; I wasn’t too sure if I would actually like it when I finally drove one. Luckily the C didn’t disappoint (though I had realistic expectation).

I moved from a MK2 Golf to the Corrado and actually found it to be a massive step up :D Performance and handling were dissapointing though, so I changed that. I think if you love a particular car enough, you will forgive it's shortcomings. It's about the driving pleasure it gives you at the end of the day. They are all good cars in their own right, and were special in their day, but current hot hatches will run rings round them..... except maybe an exceptionally well looked after and mint E30 M3 Evo.

I moved from a MK2 Golf to the Corrado and actually found it to be a massive step up :D Performance and handling were dissapointing though, so I changed that. I think if you love a particular car enough, you will forgive it's shortcomings. It's about the driving pleasure it gives you at the end of the day. They are all good cars in their own right, and were special in their day, but current hot hatches will run rings round them..... except maybe an exceptionally well looked after and mint E30 M3 Evo.

Amen to that one. I love the C and in some aspects don't care that modern hot hatches are on par as the aforementioned car where individuals and the current crop all share with each other.

I too would love a go in an UR quattro; a few years back I drove an E type for a couple of days round dumfries and galloway and it lived up to all the things I hoped it would be. Would never own one but it can be marked of a list of cars before you die. :D

Yeah I'm an 80s kid and remember the E30 M3, Merc Cosworth, Sierra Cosworth etc etc very well. And the Ferrari engined Lancia Thema was a pin up (next to Sam Fox and Linda Lusardi obviously!) :D

Thing is though, they say you should never meet your hero as he / she may not live up to your expectations and that is especially true with cars. In recent years I've been out in 993 911s, E30 and E36 M3s, Sierra Cosworths but in all honesty, their handling and performance is pretty average by modern standards....and the interiors :gag: I don't remember them being that bad at the time. I mean my Grandad's Manta GTE interior was pretty ghastly, but the Sierra's (apart from the excellent seats) is comedy :D

I think the only car remaining I haven't tried, but still have a very soft spot for is: The UR Quattro :notworthy:

Linda Lusardi :lol: now your talkin bloody hell mate Opel Manta GTE i think ive just had an 80's flash back,Manta sinclair Spectrum, Sega Master system, My raligh BMX burner I LOVE the 80'S why did i have to grow up!!!! Well my wife still thinks im 10 so maybe that all true :grin:

My brother has a UR Quattro sitting at the side of the house for the last 10years. His insurance at the time went up drasticially so he had to park it. It's sitting there now that long now that I hardly ever notice it anymore. From time to time strangers call in to see if he'll sell it but he won't even consider it :shrug: It's a Tornado Red one so as you can imagine it's mostly Pink now... what a waste. I was actually the last one to drive it when I brought it back from getting a full polish & valet. It has something like 77k on it & I have to say they do live up to all the hype.

I don't understand why people do that - leave cars to rot on their driveways and not allow them to be sold. My friends dad used to live in the states and when they moved over here to settle they bought over a number of cars with them, including a Dodge Challenger, an old Mustang, etc. Same thing with him. He's not moved them for 15 years and they're rotting away in his garden but he simply will not part with them.

It must be a type of insanity or something.

I think his intension is to restore it again to it's former glory someday. When that'll be, who knows. I was going to write to Top Gear about it when they were looking for an old classic car to restore a few seasons ago. Never got round to it though, it is a waste but it's not mine :)