Sign in to follow this  
coullstar

Is this hard to repair?

Looking at another cheap 16v and it has some rust. The guy set this photo through of the fuel cap.

Is this a hard item to repair or expensive?

I had a mk2 golf with similar, years ago. Had it repaired. It came back in no time. You'd need to cut the bad stuff out and I guess lining a new filler cap up to existing panels wouldn't be an easy job.

Walk away. That is terminal.

Behind the plastic grommet, 2 panels converge. VW didn't put enough sealant up there and where the central locking rod passes through the 2 panels, it all rots to buggery. This will eventually kill off ALL Corrados if left unchecked. I've checked and repaired 3 now, which were just starting to corrode internally and hadn't quite reached the exterior bubbling stage.

:shock: it didn't look that bad to me, (just shows you how much I know)

So how should we go about doing some preventitive work then?

Yeah, I would recommend a poke around up there whilst the weather's good.

Remove the petrol flap and cap

Pull out the rubber shroud. There is a big C clip inside the lip securing it to the panel, it just pulls out.

And then get a good light up there brush away all the years of dirt build up (goggles recommended!) and prod the metal with screwdriver.

You'll see right in the top corner a plastic container. Unscrew and withdraw it to reveal the petrol flap locking rod. This the main area of concern and around the petrol flap opening.

Another rot area is under the filler neck. Undo the 2 10mm self tapper screws and pull on the filler neck. It will come away from the body about an inch, leaving you room to prod around and assess the damage, if any.

You might be lucky and all will be solid down there, but even if you see a tiny bubble, don't ignore it, treat it immediately!!

Cheers guys,

Good to know...a stitch in time & all that.

Should I put some silicone in there while I'm at it to seal it all up or just treat it with a rust killer?

cut it out and fit a TT/motorbike style filler... not to everyone's taste, but much easier than trying to repair the rot there... :o

oh no, another thing for me to worry about :sad:

Everytime I come here (about 200 times a day :lol: ) I find something else to check/worry about :lol:

Should I put some silicone in there while I'm at it to seal it all up or just treat it with a rust killer?

Nope. Leave it as VW intended but just treat the rust as best you can (very limited access :( ) and soak the whole area in good quality wax * afterwards. Then just regularly jet wash up there to keep the dirt from settling. It's big clumps of mud up there that stays damp for a long time which isn't helping us. Keeping the dirt away allows the air to get up there and dry it out. And never put a wet car in a garage over night. Leave it outside to dry out :wink:

* - Black Waxoyl is OK-ish but it takes too long to harden. Some decent stuff that will last and not wash away like Waxoyl does is better in the long run. Dinitrol products are very highly regarded and available from the this aptly named website :lol: - http://www.rust.co.uk/

i'm sure Judith can give us all some tips on keeping that part (and perhaps every other awkward place on the car) ship shape!

Looking at another cheap 16v and it has some rust. The guy set this photo through of the fuel cap.

Is this a hard item to repair or expensive?

hahaha i know the corrado your looking at. talked to the guy yesterday asking if i would able to collect in 2 weeks. but nope :(

i could fix it for you though. i work in a sheet metal engineering firm. and i have my own welding gear :)

I had a mk2 golf with similar, years ago. Had it repaired. It came back in no time. You'd need to cut the bad stuff out and I guess lining a new filler cap up to existing panels wouldn't be an easy job.

easy i just done it to my g60. replaced my rear qaurter.

Yep, kev's got the message.

You ain't seen nuthin', though, you younger guys.

Our first cars in the 60s and 70s had no underseal, wax or wheel arch inserts.

People who could afford it changed their cars every two years. Like my wife's parents - ordinary farmers - they had to. The things were heading for terminal illness by then.

Stick your hand up in the wheelarch and you could pull handfulls of wet mud - enough to half fill a bucket - from behind the headlights.

Poke a paint blister on top of the wing of a 3-year old Austin 1100 with your finger and it would burst right through. Jack the same car up to change a wheel and the mud-filled sills with blocked drainage holes crumbled. All well-designed rapid obsolescence and a credit to the great motor manufacturers of the time. Wasters!

Hey guys, ive just purchased my vr but its at a garage at the mo so cant go to inspect again properly but after i bought it i went to fill it up for the first time and when i opened the filler cap there was a ring of rust caked on the opening.... Easy to repair or is my car a complete lemon cos of it? :lol:

/\ nah mate, mine has a wee bit there too and have since cleared the mud out, most things aren't terminal, it just gets more difficult and pricey to repair, need to get mine sorted properly tho soon.

nice one on the vr purchase btw 8)

/\ nah mate, mine has a wee bit there too and have since cleared the mud out, most things aren't terminal, it just gets more difficult and pricey to repair, need to get mine sorted properly tho soon.

nice one on the vr purchase btw 8)

Thanks, i loved it for the 3-4 hours i had it before i had it towed to the garage (nackered crackpipe lol)...

Whats the best way to tackle the nastiness on the filler then? I really dont want it to spread lol.

well at least you got a taster journey, and its good to sort the crack pipe early i guess :lol:

guess it depends how bad it is, am hoping mine is surface only and can be taken back to bare metal and a repaint, maybe i'll have to learn how to weld tho, could get interesting...

would you think there is a market there? making a repair section just for that area???

I'd buy one for my 8v :lol: if it was a good job obviously.

I guess like anything the price would have to be right but if it fixed the job and stopped my car rusting to bits then i'd happily buy one even if cost wasn't nessesarily cheap as it has to be cheaper getting it done as opposed to it rotting away after all the work and money folk spend on their Corrados :?