Stafford16v

My Corrado likes a drink

I have never owned such a thirsty car! The trip computer showed 16.9mpg on my journey to work. Its struggled to get in to the early 20's on a long run (cruising at 70mph). My mates 911 does better mpg!

Is this normal? I wouldn't mind so much if it was the VR6 model, but this seems a bit silly. The car has obviously been messed with over the years as it has a loud exhaust and a K&N. Its lacking in low down torque - maybe its had a cam change?.... Seems to pull quite well at the top end.

What do other 16v owners get?

Definitely not normal! I'd usually see mid 30's or higher from my valver. I'd do an old fashioned calculation check on the MPG before you panic though

Funnily enough I have the same thing going on with my valver although the only thing changed on mine are the wheels.......

Definitely not normal! I'd usually see mid 30's or higher from my valver. I'd do an old fashioned calculation check on the MPG before you panic though

not on my 2 mile trip to work i dont, usually around 23mpg. however when i went up to derby last week i got around 250 miles on 1/2 tank of fuel...

I got 30 mpg from Sheffield to Nottingham and back yesterday, that was at 70 on the M1, but included all the driving through town to get to the motorway.

On a drive down to the shops I might get 15-25ish depending on what the traffic is like and if there's lots of stopping and starting.

I reckon if I sat at 60 though on the M1 it'd even out in the high 30s

MPG whats that? :wink:

What mileage are you getting to say half a tank? Take the plusg out and check them, if there black/coked up then its running rich. Black soot in the tailpipe will show the same. Maybe just the lambda probe thats needing changed.

What mileage are you getting to say half a tank? Take the plusg out and check them, if there black/coked up then its running rich. Black soot in the tailpipe will show the same. Maybe just the lambda probe thats needing changed.

My tailpipe is covered in soot now, and it does smell a bit rich when booting it.

Also the exhaust pops quite a bit (not loudly though) on overrun, would this suggest it's running rich too, with excess fuel being burnt in the exhaust?

Ok thanks guys.

My plugs are indeed black as I checked them the other day and am going to replace them this weekend. Not sure about the tailpipe as its a big bore with a black insert (if you see what I mean).

I'd expect 25ish around town and 30+ on a run.

The reason I noticed is that the fuel gauge has dropped from just under 3/4 to a 1/4 in the past week. Its only done about 60 miles!

The reason I noticed is that the fuel gauge has dropped from just under 3/4 to a 1/4 in the past week. Its only done about 60 miles!

I never read too much into the fuel gauge. Mine takes no time at all to get to mid way, even near the bottom but will happily stay near the red line for over 100 miles

The fuel gauge on my rado does all sorts of wierd and wonderful things.

Reading fuel accurately isn't one of them!

At 70 I can coax just under 40 mpg out of the rado with some sensible motorway driving. I'm running it on VPower at the moment, which seems to do best.

My tailpipe is covered in soot now, and it does smell a bit rich when booting it.

Also the exhaust pops quite a bit (not loudly though) on overrun, would this suggest it's running rich too, with excess fuel being burnt in the exhaust?

Check your spark plugs and see what there like.

Check your spark plugs and see what there like.

Not so easy with a Schrick manifold...

it's going to Awesome pretty soon for a full service anyway so I'll ask them to have a look

I have this problem on mine the petrol guage goes up when i brake and down when i accelerate lol also my car has the black soot in the exhaust and also pops and grumbles when it at tick over ! Also smells rich when i hammer it the kid i baught the car of told me he had had the timing advanced on the dyno to gain about an extra 6or 7 bhp so im guessing thats what my problem is so maybe its worth you having it chrcked for the same problem!!

Sorry to go off topic but whereabouts in Stafford are you Stafford16v? I've not seen you around.

Nice to know there is another valver in the area to compare problems with. Lol.

I've only recently bought the car. I'm up the north end on Holmcroft. I work on Cannock road and to be honest I only drive the car to work and back as its not my main car so you wont see it about much.

I have replaced the plugs and dizzy cap and rotor arm this weekend. The car seems to run a bit better. Its still a lazy starter from cold though....

A couple of the plugs were quite black. The tailpipe is quite black also (but then they do that dont they). However the exhaust does pop when you back off the throttle sharplyd so it could well be running rich.

Mine is the same, i struggle to get 200 miles out of a full tank!! incredibly poor for a 2 litre!

I may as well of kept my VR6!

I've only recently bought the car. I'm up the north end on Holmcroft. I work on Cannock road and to be honest I only drive the car to work and back as its not my main car so you wont see it about much.

I have replaced the plugs and dizzy cap and rotor arm this weekend. The car seems to run a bit better. Its still a lazy starter from cold though....

A couple of the plugs were quite black. The tailpipe is quite black also (but then they do that dont they). However the exhaust does pop when you back off the throttle sharplyd so it could well be running rich.

Yeah, i'm much the same mate. I only really use the rado to go work when its pissing down (quite a bit lately) as i live on western downs and work at Alstom on the lichfield road.

I was having issues with rich running but mine is a bit simpler to sort as i have k-jet fuel injection. I do have a good mechanic mate who could probably have a look if your losing patience. Give me a shout if so.

Mines quite thirsty on the fuel, i've had new injectors and the fuelling set up by DG Autotech. I get just over 30 mpg on my trip to work which is A46/M40 at about 70- 80 Mph. around town anything from 16 - 26mpg

TBH the mpg doesn't bother me, more that I know the car is running properly is what I care about. The ignition has been advanced previously, which probably doesn't help the MPG, although helps with the horsies!

Well it doesn't sound like there will be a cheap fix for this or something that I can do myself. I'm not so sure its worth me paying out to get it tuned up as it seems to run OK.

I did see a black Corrado this evening in Stafford just after 5pm. Looked to be a 16v and fairly standard....

Done 29mpg from Sheffield to Leeds today, then 32mpg back again. (According to the MFD anyway, it seems to be pretty reliable, +/- 2mpg)

That included coming off early at J36 so I could thrash it down the A61/Penistone Road