dukest

The Tyre Discussion Thread - please read 1st post

7 hours ago, fla said:

Well I'm still looking at 16 inch tyres! The 215 40 16 seem more readily available than 205 45 16. Anyone run them and any discernible differences? Looking at the vreds again or toyo tr-1. But any other good recommendations are appreciated

I’ve run Rainsports for about 10 years on the 8v. Last year changed to Vredsteins in a 205 45 16 variant on the rear of the 8v and am very happy with them ( will go the same way for the fronts in due course ). Toyo TR1 were fitted when I bought it 13 years ago and switched out as they were not only awful but downright dangerous.

thanks James.  I fitted some Toyos to my Yaris and fortunately had quite a good experience with them, but you cant really compare the two cars!  Would there be much of a difference fitting 195 45 16s instead of 205mm width tyres?  Only asking as they're a good bit cheaper but i dont want them looking too skinny on the car, or giving a hard ride.

Looks like a good price for the rainsports.  They seem to be a few dB noisier than the Vreds though..

17 minutes ago, fla said:

Looks like a good price for the rainsports.  They seem to be a few dB noisier than the Vreds though..

Every 3db is twice the real world volume (I have tinnitus now - factory work is great….), not sure what the values are. The rainsports have a nice compliant ride I found, the A2 mentioned came with 17s being a sports spec, theses were quickly swapped for lightweight 15s and I even went up 5% on the recommended factory aspect ratio for more comfort (I never thought I’d do that 30 years ago 😂).

suspension, tyres and the cars use should be considered as a package IMO

17s, slammed and shows at weekends is one thing, the same for a 40 mile per day over rutted, pot holes and speed bumps commute just wouldn’t be tolerable for 56 year old me now

I have run the Rainsports (16" 205/45) for about 10 years and generally quite happy with them. Tread pattern looks nice, if you like that sort of thing!

However, I was considering trying an, on paper, quieter tyre. I think a lot of the cabin noise I get at high speed is the tyre noise, so it is possible the Rainsports are a noisier tyre, but I don't have a direct comparison to say for certain.

Not sure on going to 215/40. I don't think I'd want a tyre that is that much harder - it's not like the ride is jarring; you hear the bumps more than feel them I find, and they're very noticeable. Especially when you get back in after a more modern car.

Edited by oneohtwo