dukest

The Tyre Discussion Thread - please read 1st post

Just put on a set of Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance tyres myself, sized 205/50 R16 load rating of 87. first thing noticed was the reducing in sound levels, also get a small bit more comfort going with 50 instead of the more normal 45 height. Grip levels much improved over the outgoing dunlops, will give them some time to settle in before commenting on the handling aspects.

Quite a few brands no longer seem available. Anyway just got fitted some Continental Premium Contact 2 to the front and shifted the Pirelli P6000 to the rear. All seems good:)

a9arejan.jpg

Just require your update recommendations on These RS's 17" rims.

I have Dunlop SP9000 205/40/17 at the back.

I'm thinking one from the continental range

The T1-Rs are useless in the wet. And that's based on a car with KW V3s, R32 wishbone bushes, replaced rear axle bushes and spot on geometry. Obviously any tyre hitting a patch of diesel on a wet roundabout won't perform well, but in general wet weather, the Toyos are poor. Not as bad as Yokohamas, but not far off, imo.

And I've found VR6s don't work well with an arrowhead tyre tread. Stick to assymetric patterns like Continental and Bridgestone.

You're not kidding!!!!!!!!!

I've got a set from the Tyre man (Mr Lob) when they will be fitted to a wheel and actually used not sure but can confirm firstly Mr Lob is the man especially with his price's and the Rainsport 3's are well smart looking tyre's and from all the review's I've read can't see them being anything other than awesome.

I've just ordered rainsport 3s from Mr Lobitos myself. Will report back on my findings!

Ditto! Will be getting em on the car in the next week or two hopefully.

Ditto! Will be getting em on the car in the next week or two hopefully.

Will be good to hear report's from you and Sean Jim as like I said don't know when mine will be utilised. I bought them to put on the A8 winter's I was planning to run on the R32 however I changed my mind again (couldn't be bothered with adapters) and decided to only run wheel's that bolted straight on hence why I bought Goldie's RC's and the fact I had been trying to get a set of them for a while and the tyre's on them are as good as new Toyo T1R's. Unless I by some more 17's :rolleyes:

Well I've had a set of 195/50x15 Rainsport 3's on my 16v for 300 hundred miles now. I have to say I'm dissapointed.

My last set were Yoko S-drives and before that Semperit Speedlife? or something with a similar name. Both those tyres felt direct and talkative with a sharp turn in and good grip. I haven't pushed the Rainsports really hard yet with so few miles on them but just with cruising around they feel like they're half flat. The car wobbles around on them and braking has it squirming around and needing the sort of steering corrections my old Land Rover requires!

At first I ran the pressures at 38 front / 34 rear. Hot they rose to 40/36. I put them upto 40/38 which went to 45/40 hot and still they feel like mush. The car's setup the same as it was four years ago when it had the Semperits on it (6x15 ET35 BBS's, basic Weitec springs/dampers, poly front arm bushes, rest are rubber). The only changes have been new genuine top mounts and the relevant camber/tracking adjustments 4 months back.

I'm seriously thinking of changing them asap but I should give them a few hundred more miles just to see what happens.. I'm a bit gutted really.

Ralph I think you may be disappointed with these due to the size of the sidewall I think the larger sidewall one's are not reinforced like the smaller. All the review's I have read have been very good for them saying that I was looking at review's for 205/40/17.

I've had these tyres in 205/45/16 for a few hundred miles as well, a lot of that in torrential conditions. They have always felt well planted with decent feedback. Not the best tyre I've ever had, contis sport 3's felt better when hammering along in the dry but the difference is only marginal.

As an all weather tyre they are really pretty damn good and considering how little they cost through Mr Lobitos, there isn't a better tyre for everyday road driving.

I'm not sure I'd love them on a track day but I don't really do those.

I run mine at 36 front and 32 rear so are still pretty supple over broken ground.

Edited by Sean_Jaymo

Yes the sidewalls are pretty big compared to a 40 or 45 profile tyre but even so they are hardly ballons.

The index is 82, same as the Yokos. I was suprised how soft the walls felt when fitting them compared the Yokos which came off, especially given the identical load rating.

Still as Sean says they are cheap and they are an all weather tyre. I paid £146 for four and the only other options at that price don't look too inspiring. I just wish I'd followed my heart not my head (wallet)

The 40 series one's have a reinforced sidewall. Mine aren't on wheel's I checked them and they are solid.

Yes the sidewalls are pretty big compared to a 40 or 45 profile tyre but even so they are hardly ballons.

The index is 82, same as the Yokos. I was suprised how soft the walls felt when fitting them compared the Yokos which came off, especially given the identical load rating.

Still as Sean says they are cheap and they are an all weather tyre. I paid £146 for four and the only other options at that price don't look too inspiring. I just wish I'd followed my heart not my head (wallet)

bridgestone all the way is my recommendation - you pay the price but get the desired results

The 40 series one's have a reinforced sidewall. Mine aren't on wheel's I checked them and they are solid.

I wish Uniroyal had pointed out that my size haven't. What I've bought is a different tyre with the same name and tread pattern as what I thought I was buying. I've done another 250 miles mostly on B roads to scrub them in but they're still no better. They're coming off next week. They're mushy rubbish and they've turned my tight little go kart of a car into a wallowy, unpredictable barge.

And yes I'll be spending more this time round..

I wish Uniroyal had pointed out that my size haven't. What I've bought is a different tyre with the same name and tread pattern as what I thought I was buying. I've done another 250 miles mostly on B roads to scrub them in but they're still no better. They're coming off next week. They're mushy rubbish and they've turned my tight little go kart of a car into a wallowy, unpredictable barge.

And yes I'll be spending more this time round..

just had a quick check on the site i used for my last bridgestones for you.....

bridgestone 205/45 R16 87W BRIDGESTONE POTENZA RE002 FZ @ £95.22 each fitted at your door by http://www.event-tyres.co.uk

they are not quite what the old SO2's or 3's used to be but having experienced a range of tires on the VR (michelin, avon, continental to name a few)personally it would take a lot to get me to not fit bridgestone's

can do the bridgestone for £75.00 inc vat and courier

thats a great price Mr L!

i will defitely be asking you for a quote when my current 1's need replacing.

Does anyone know an average kind of cost for a local tire fitter to fit & balance only?