dukest

The Tyre Discussion Thread - please read 1st post

Well I've had a set of 195/50x15 Rainsport 3's on my 16v for 300 hundred miles now. I have to say I'm dissapointed.

My last set were Yoko S-drives and before that Semperit Speedlife? or something with a similar name. Both those tyres felt direct and talkative with a sharp turn in and good grip. I haven't pushed the Rainsports really hard yet with so few miles on them but just with cruising around they feel like they're half flat. The car wobbles around on them and braking has it squirming around and needing the sort of steering corrections my old Land Rover requires!

Uniroyals are good in their intended market place, which is somewhere cold and wet, but they're definitely not for the keen driver imo.

In temperate conditions like the UK where it can be 28 degs and dry one day and 15 and wet the next, you really do notice just how soggy the sidewalls are.

As a long standing contributor to this thread and suffering from stuck needle syndrome, everyone knows I'm a big advocate of Bridgestone, ContiSport & Michelin Pilot Sport.

The Bridgees and the Michees feel very similar, but Mr Bridgee has slightly better grip in the corners. Both feel superb in a straight line.

ContiSports are the perfect middle ground for those want the grip but with a less aggressive side wall, but the twitching is far less pronounced than lesser soft walled tyres. They're a great compromise.

Obviously budgets will prevail, but imo it's always worth stretching that bit further for the good stuff.

Edited by Kevin Bacon

Obviously budgets will prevail, but imo it's always worth stretching that bit further for the good stuff.

Wise words 'Ken' ;) lol

in all seriousness though, as it is the tires which make contact with the road your driving on they really should be a very important item rather than something to skimp on

Edited by g0ldf1ng3r

Don't be fooled by the rocks that I got, I'm still Kenny from the Block :lol:

Indeed!

Have you ever been to Longleat? You'll notice that the apes will only swing on the premium tyres and the remoulds and budget brands are given to the Lions to chew on :lol: Even the animal kingdom will take a Bridgestone over a budget tyre!

can do the bridgestone for £75.00 inc vat and courier

Ooh. Well, still on the Longleat tip, to quote Terry Nutkins "And now for something completely different" What price could you do on a set of Nankang NS2R 180 compound please?

The Uniroyals are still on there as I have to replace the back box and rear axle and a cv joint and and.. But in the next few weeks I want to splash out on some of these.

Oh yes! Usually firmly in the ditchfinder category Nankang seem to have made a decent track tyre.

The R is the important bit, the NS2 is a budget road tyre. The NS2R on the other hand is a decent budget semi-slick. Check it out: http://www.pistonheads.com/gAssing/topic.asp?h=0&t=1403755&mid=0&nmt=well+someone+had+to+try+them.Nankang+ns-2r+%2B+520hp+car+%3D%3F%3F%3F

My car is not running yet, but i've just put some new Vredesteins on my car. Just wondering if anyone has any experience of the squareness of the shoulder on this versus other tyres? ET is 31, but i don't really want to replace them with a 195 tyre, to avoid rubbing the rear left wheel arch (front bottom portion)

Im looking for a good road track tyre for the corrado for when its back on the road , id like to have the most grip in the dry obviousley and id like to not be killed in the wet

The reason for the road track tyre basically is because the car will be summer use only and i like the look asthetically of the track style tyres

I was set on some yoko parada spec 2 but iv been reading and im put of in the wet , also i cant get the tyre in the size i want

So iv been offered the advan ad08r neova and i also like the look

Basically what else is out there , at the moment iv got rain spot two's but i wont be beeding them any more even though they are amazing in the wet and not to shabby in the dry

A budget tyre that has surprised me massively on my wife's 520 is Nexen N8000. They were on when we bought the car but replaced the front two with the same type from Camskill. Decent traction in the wet from a BMW it's always difficult.

I've just got some falken ze914 205-50-15 and there pretty good

The side walls are little softer than the previous ze912

I do have to admit I still broke traction a little in second gear@4k rpm in the wet

They feel better than the ze912 and better than the Avon s

3rd set of tyres on the front in 13months lol

Edited by Mk3highline

Eagle F1s = Hate them. Had them ever since the GSD1 with the arrow head pattern, the improved GSD3 and now F1 Assysmetric 2, twice. Once on MK4 R32 and now on the MK5 Edition 30. Nasty nasty shat old tyres.

Why? Dunno really, they just are :D

Nah, it's something about them once they approach half worn. They either just go off (stiffen up) or just get a bit rubbish. Nothing like the consistency you get from new to bald that you get with Bridgestones. I've never before experienced a tyre that was great for the first few weeks, and then just deteriorate really quickly. The ride suffers, the steering becomes vague and the tramlining gets worse.

It's been exactly that way with every Eagle F1 I've tried.

Incidentally, I don't keep buying them, sometimes the car comes with them already fitted :D

:D ive got a fresh pair of bridgestone RE002's going on the rear of the VR on monday (to match the front finally) & a decent £75 nicker each fitted :cool:

Wicked. I see they still do the RE050A. Great tyre that. I'll defo be going back to those, or maybe the S001 as that looks good too.

Nah, it's something about them once they approach half worn. They either just go off (stiffen up) or just get a bit rubbish. Nothing like the consistency you get from new to bald that you get with Bridgestones. I've never before experienced a tyre that was great for the first few weeks, and then just deteriorate really quickly. The ride suffers, the steering becomes vague and the tramlining gets worse.

:D

That's what I noticed with the avons

I got these falkens for £55 each fitted

I think a wavetrak lsd would help a lot

Have just changed from Avon ZV5s to Uniroyal Rainsport 3s on the front (205/50R15), and the car feels a lot nicer. Avons were so vague! Will probably put Uniroyals on the back too when those Avons wear out.

Avons were surprisingly good in snow, though...

--

Olly

Wicked. I see they still do the RE050A. Great tyre that. I'll defo be going back to those, or maybe the S001 as that looks good too.

Ooooo the SO range!

i still remember how good the SO2's were when i used to run them on the valver years ago, they were awesome in the dry & you could barely tell the difference even when in the wet......& the SO3's were damn good too

what wheel sizes have you seen the SO01's Kev? (they didnt come up as an option for 15"s)

Corrado and one set of Audi rims have Michelin PilotSport3's. Very impressed with these.

Other set of Audi wheels have Hankook S1 Evo's and again I found them very good in all conditions. I tend to go for tyres with at least B rating in the wet as that when I'll need them the most.

Ooooo the SO range!

i still remember how good the SO2's were when i used to run them on the valver years ago, they were awesome in the dry & you could barely tell the difference even when in the wet......& the SO3's were damn good too

what wheel sizes have you seen the SO01's Kev? (they didnt come up as an option for 15"s)

I haven't looked yet mate as my F1s are (sadly) still full of tread, but they would be for my 18s. I doubt you'll get them in 15s :(

Corrado and one set of Audi rims have Michelin PilotSport3's. Very impressed with these.

Other set of Audi wheels have Hankook S1 Evo's and again I found them very good in all conditions. I tend to go for tyres with at least B rating in the wet as that when I'll need them the most.

I loved the PS3s on my R32. Probably because they were the original factory fit tyre. There's a lot to be said for that I think. It's the only thing that touches the road, so sidewall stiffness and rubber compound, tread pattern etc all have a bearing on feel and ride quality.

Hello gents,

Any thoughts on these tyres would be good. I've bit the bullet and ordered them from my local tyre place delivered next couple of days, hope i haven't made a boo boo?? x4 Toyo PXT 1's-205/50/15 for my speed lines, and do these translate into Toyo proxies? dunno.

Edited by Ray1965

:scratch:, hit the blue highlighted word tyres and it takes me to avon cobra bike tyres, never seen them fitted before but it's good to be unique

ok, prices as follows

205/50x15 toyo t1r @ £ 45.00 inc vat and carriage per tyre, only extra is a £5 per tyre forum donation, plenty of stock. so no problems, let me know

:scratch:, hit the blue highlighted word tyres and it takes me to avon cobra bike tyres, never seen them fitted before but it's good to be unique

Something similar happened to me yest... I hit a highlighted word CORRADO and it took me to ebay for corrado rad hoses...