dukest

The Tyre Discussion Thread - please read 1st post

The CS2 lasts longer, so maybe they are unofficially selling the two side by side for their different virtues? Ultimate grip from the 3, more life from the 2? I'd take the 3 though. Less road noise and feels a bit better on the limit :D

I had ZZ3s on a set of 17s in the past and they were OK in the dry, but rubbish in the wet. The Avon ZV1 should come with a health warning, they are dangerous in the wet :lol:

Still, it's good to experiment and find out what's hot, and what's not 8)

Kumho KU31 205 50 15

Had these fitted for nearly a week and am really impressed with them. the grip is awesome and the turn in is impressive. £185 for four delivered from Camskill.

Thanks to all those that suggested these and will add a further review in a couple of months once they've scrubbed off and been used a little more in the wet.

Yeah I noticed the tyre review in Evo this month too. I can't say I'm surprised the Conti Sport 3 won, it's a brilliant tyre :D The Rainsport did well overall, but was almost bottom on the dry laptimes, which supports my findings of them being too squealy (squidgy sidewalls) on dry roads.

They also tested the Kumho KU39, which I've not heard of. I was hoping they would rate the KU31 but seeing as the 39 came almost last, I think that's a sign :lol:

Another tyre I had my eye on was the Hankook Evo, but that didn't do that well overall either. Good in the aqua planing tests though, which is where the Conti falls down slightly as it doesn't have arrow head treads.

Back to the CS3s for me after the KU31s are dead I think :D Found somewhere localt that does em at a good price!

Just had 4 x KU31's fitted, glad I didn't delay. Shame they've been phased out, so far they have been excellent on mine, especially given the cost.

This is basically a summary of recent discussion:

Goodyear F1s - not nearly what they were

Yokohama paradas - generally thought to be dangerous in the wet

Khumo 31s - very good for the price

Rainsports/pirelli p-zeros (not 6000s) - ok for midrange

Conti/bridgestone/Michelin - all good but at top end of prices

I had the same problem with finding decent rubber for 15" wheels. I took a gamble and tried some Vredestein Sportrac 3's. I'm pretty pleased with them, they grip well in wet or dry. The sidewall feels a bit soft and sometimes the turn-in feels a bit soggy, but thats probably more down to my knackered steering column. They got good reviews in an autocar or whatcar tyre test.

Damn you Bridgestone indeed :lol:

Can you get the RE050A in 50/15"? That's a very nice tyre indeed.

Rainsports in 50/15" I found to have soggy sidewalls, causing squeal way too early within the grip envelope. They sound and feel like they're about to let go, but hang on surprisingly well though. Needless to say, in the wet, it is probably the grippiest tyre in the world.

I drive hard all the time (as anyone who's seen the brake dust on my front wheels will testify, LOL!) and I've not had any issues with the Kumho KU31. I stepped down from the more premium brands to those and so far I've been very impressed with them. They're not as predictable as a Bridgee or Conti in the wet, but they do grip well.

Yeah I was actually pretty surprised with my Kumho's in the pouring rain last week. I had just been go karting in the rain (which was awesome fun!) so getting back in my car felt awesome. I drove home pretty fast and there was plenty of predictable grip, really impressed me actually 8)

I bought four 205 50 15 Kumho KU31 tyres from Camskill (Spent ages trawling websites for the cheapest delivered). Had them delivered the next day. Took them to the fitter at the top of my road and had them balanced and fitted for for a tenner !

For the money they are very very good and would buy them again.

All, as you will notice, the thread is now much shorter - it only goes back about 2 years - and a lot of non-relevant stuff has been taken out. Whether you're a new or old forum user, please go and read the first post as I've put a whole lot of information in there that will hopefully be of use, sometimes meaning you dont need to ask any more questions!

Thanks

John

any comments on wear rate and internal noise of a Toyo T1-R compared to a uniroyal rain sport 2 please, on a VR in 205 50 15 flavour...... Yes I've read the thread even the longer version but still confused I change my mind each day. yesterday it was dunlop sport 01's :D just because my VR came with Dunlope from new.

help please me choose a tyre for my VR, I'm having sleepless nights about it :D

Oh I have some eagle F1's at the moment... the decent one's when they were made in germany.

wear on rainsport 2s is ok in my opinion, havent had T1Rs but had Sport 01s before and they came across as quite a hard tyre and wear on those was also ok (ie. 12kish and changed before completely dead)

sorry if this has been mentioned before. i havent read through the whole thread, but which tyres were fitted from factory for my 95 vr6,and are they still available, thanks in advance

I bought my 95 VR in 1997 with 5K on the clock.... It was sporting a set of dunlop sport tyres. Not the sport 01 that they sell now. one reason i was thinking about putting dunlop's on again to get her back to orig

had 205/45/16 Toyo TR1s on the VR, actually got a set on the rear now, but have had a set on the front before. Road noise was fine imo, but they do wear quicker then i thought they would. On the back however they've worn less quickly for obvious reasons.

For the £60 odd each, you cant complain. I do recommend them... But im sure there are better tyres, but as expected you pay more. So depends on budget.

Ive just put Conti Premium contact 2's on my solitudes have so much more confidence now in the wet them pirelli p6000s were damn right dangerous

Just flicked through December's Evo magazine and they've done another tyre group test. The Kumho KU31 that we love so much, came 9th..... of 9. Flat last :lol:

What do Evo know? :lol:

Just flicked through December's Evo magazine and they've done another tyre group test. The Kumho KU31 that we love so much, came 9th..... of 9. Flat last :lol:

What do Evo know? :lol:

:eek:

Have no complaints with mine.

just want a bit if feedback/comparison on the Falken 452s vs the Kumho KU31s. Just need to order a pair, but i need better grip in the wet, plus low road noise. Experience and/or suggestions? I've got some budgets on atm, which will be replaced.

I have been reading the winter tyre thread with interest and have decided that with current prices, to leave buying winter tyres for this year, plus the area where I live hasn't so far been affected too badly.

So basically I need some new front tyres and have brought it down to two options:

Toyo Proxes T1-R £83.10

Uniroyal Rainsport 2 £69.60

Just wanted to get some opinions on these tyres, if anyone has used them. Any other recommendations appreciated.

I tried to look at the tyre thread but couldn't access it. Tyres I'm looking for are 205/40 R17.

Thanks

Nick

Also took a look conti premium 2, a bit more of a pricetag, different tread entirely, but also highly recommended.