dukest

The Tyre Discussion Thread - please read 1st post

195/50 r15 on a VR would naturally look and feel smaller because they are smaller than the OE fit 205/50 r15, both in width and aspect ratio (profile). lol

Look smaller yes, but I was talking about feel from a driving perspective.

Having said that, all other Corrados except the VR ran 195/50 r15 and they didn't look too puny, and my MkII had 195/55 r15 on it - why would it look so bad on a VR rather than the others ?

The VR6 rides higher as standard so the 195s can look 'lost' in the arches. It's really subjective, but I definitely preferred the look of 205s over 195s. But 195s are so much cheaper, so it depends how much of a factor price is!

Look smaller yes, but I was talking about feel from a driving perspective.

Naturally, 195/50 r15 is going to feel smaller than a 205/50 r15. It's going to be 10mm narrower than a 205, and the sidewall will be smaller (all be it a couple of mm), thus reducing the rolling circumference of the tyre.

so yes, it is possible for it to 'feel' smaller to drive on, especially under 'spirited' driving.

I'm replacing the rubber on my speedlines soon, currently have michelin exalto 2 on them and grip very well in the wet, have continental sport 2 on my other set and find these perfom better in the dry. Have been recommended uniroyal but don't know much about them except they are owned by continental.

Have any of you used all 3 of these so I can gauge a comparison.

I'm replacing the rubber on my speedlines soon, currently have michelin exalto 2 on them and grip very well in the wet, have continental sport 2 on my other set and find these perfom better in the dry. Have been recommended uniroyal but don't know much about them except they are owned by continental.

Have any of you used all 3 of these so I can gauge a comparison.

I've personally never used Michelin, but have always sworn by Conti-Sports for the past 5 years or so. Conti's are superb in the dry as you know, wear could be better but that's a compromise you pay for a sport/high grip tyre, I find they turn a faded colour easily and always need dressing with products to keep looking fresh. They are half decent in the wet but I have broke traction under fast turning before, afterall they are a summer tyre, but I ran them the year we had that awful snow and they did me well, but I was always aware they could lose traction with little warning in poor weather.

I'm currently running Uniroyal Rainsport 2's and in the wet/damp/icy conditions they are unbelievably good. No loss of grip under hard accelerating, excellent stability on the motorway, great when hitting large puddles. I have never had a loss in faith with them or an unsure moment.. Wet or dry. In the dry they are pretty good too, not as sticky as the Conti's but that's expected, still the Uniroyals are a good tyre where I feel confident of there limit whatever the weather.

In an ideal world I would run Conti's in the summer and Uniroyal's in the autum/winter.

But as an all around tyre I'd go Uniroyal everytime. The UK is wet more than it is dry meaning you need a better wet tyre more often, when it is eventually in the dry The difference in changing the tyres for Conti's isn't worth the outlay in my opinion, unless you have money to burn. Uniroyals worked out £150 a set cheaper than Conti's for me too.

Think i might go for the uniroyals , feel I'm better off having more grip when the road conditions are worse. Plus they are cheaper than the michelins ,will just have to see if they last as long.

Cheers Ben

Think i might go for the uniroyals , feel I'm better off having more grip when the road conditions are worse. Plus they are cheaper than the michelins ,will just have to see if they last as long.

Cheers Ben

That was my thinking too.

Just make sure you go for the highest speed rating available for your size. The high speed rating Uniroyals have thicker side walls, so are stiffer.

The VR got 205s to handle the additional power and weight..

As a nice bonus they overhang on the sides slightly and you don't tend to scuff the rims unless you're really badly taking the ****....

The UK is wet more than it is dry meaning you need a better wet tyre more often' date=' when it is eventually in the dry [/quote']

Not in the South East it's not ;)

Have to agree on the Contis although I would disagree on the break away warning. I find they slip very progressively with plenty of warning.

I haven't tried the Uniroyal 2s yet but I have run Rainsport 1s in a few different sizes. First impressions in the dry, soggy as hell and squealed like mad with very little provocation. Washed out easily in sharp turns. Not a patch on the Contis. I hope the 2s have stiffer sidewalls because let's face it, they may grip in the wet well but when it comes to summer, we do drive harder and faster and that's where Uniroyals let the side down, imo.

i'll supply any forum members tyres at cost , if you arrange your own courier, if you know anyone to fit them you will make a good saving ,thanks

I can vouch for Mr Lobitos, his company give a good service, so if you're local, it'd be worth calling in and getting your tyres fitted there. 👍😉

i have had a set of the cooper zeon 2xs fitted on my AZEVS for approx 7 months, and they have proved to be a superb tyre, i would say even better the the kumhos i raved about a few years back before they went sky high in price,

so far done approx 6k with them on and the tyre depth is 6.2mm so they wear really well, also very quite and are just awesome in the dry, but still very very good in the wet.

http://www.camskill.co.uk/m54b0s13p29649/COOPER_TYRES_CAR_COOPER_ZEON_2XS_-_205_40R17_84W_XL_TL_

karl

HI all,

Can't really find the Conti sc5 in 205/40-17. Does anyone know if they come in this size?

And do they have silica in them?

Cheers,

Redfox

Mr Lobitos - Wish id have read this the other day. OUt of interest can you tell me what a pair of Uniroyal Rainsport 2s would be 205/45/16 83v.

Mr Lobitos - also in 195/45/16s too. Thanks in advance.

Mr Lobitos, how much could you do a pair of 195/50 VR15 Toyo Proxes T1R for?

Not in a major hurry, but will need a couple in the not too distant future.

will include courier charges in all quoted tyre prices as long as whoever is buying the tyres makes a £5 per tyre donation to the forum , does that sound fair

stevef182- they will be either 91/94 load rating and v/w speed rating dependant on manufacter

grim1 - i'm off till sunday so will price then

cheers

will include courier charges in all quoted tyre prices as long as whoever is buying the tyres makes a £5 per tyre donation to the forum , does that sound fair

stevef182- they will be either 91/94 load rating and v/w speed rating dependant on manufacter

grim1 - i'm off till sunday so will price then

cheers

Sounds very fair mate.

When your back in, can you give me a price on both toyo T1Rs and Uniroyal Rainsport 2 in 195/45/16 please. Cheers

Finally, all the tyres I have looked at seem to have either an 80 or 84 load index? When I put in 91 or 94 as an option I cant find any for the size mentioned above?

Epic thread. Does a superb job of confusing people and making them go away and make their own choices.

This is a good thing ... :)

Ah, the joys of getting a screw through the tread just those couple of mm closer to the sidewall than you'd like ...

Yes, they will be okay. Later Corrado's had 205 tires on 7" rims as far as I remember.

Cheers,

Redfox.