dukest

The Tyre Discussion Thread - please read 1st post

My current set are the Toyos ( 205/50/15 ) and have just about reached the end of their life - not sure what mileage I've had out of them, but I seem to have had them for ages :)

They have been excellent, no grumbles or adverse comments at all from me, and never given me any kind of 'moment'.

I'm certainly considering replacing them like for like.

T1-R's are a massive £29.10 for my 195/50/15's :grin:

Haven't used em before but I've got a pair coming in the post tomorra!

Another shout for T1-R's. Had a couple of sets on the fronts on the old standard speedlines and although they do wear a little quick they've always been pretty grippy, also survived a couple of trackdays as well without putting a wheel wrong.

I've now got them all round on my Rota's.... although they're not so cheap for 17's....

Only thing I would say is the compound has changed in the past few years, so some earlier tyres aren't very nice. Some of the casings have been know to come away from the main tyre. I had this on one of mine and Toyo replaced it FOC but if the place you're buying them from has had them on the shelf for a while you might want to double check them every so often.

Thanks for the info. I should be alright buying the tyres online as they should be the latest right?

When you say they wear quickly, what sort of mileage are we talking? and does anyone know how the toyo's wear compares to Uniroyal?

Also how is the feedback for both these tyres? I've heard it can be a little vague/underwhelming.

had 205/45/16 Toyo TR1s on the VR, actually got a set on the rear now, but have had a set on the front before. Road noise was fine imo, but they do wear quicker then i thought they would. On the back however they've worn less quickly for obvious reasons.

For the £60 odd each, you cant complain. I do recommend them... But im sure there are better tyres, but as expected you pay more. So depends on budget.

Was that on OE wheels? Any pics? Im assuming they look a bit better than the bulgy as sh*t 205/50's they come with as standard?

Thanks for the info. I should be alright buying the tyres online as they should be the latest right?

When you say they wear quickly, what sort of mileage are we talking? and does anyone know how the toyo's wear compares to Uniroyal?

Also how is the feedback for both these tyres? I've heard it can be a little vague/underwhelming.

Yeah I think you'll be ok, my first set I had were in 2007 and I've had no issues since.

As for wear rates, I get through a set of fronts in 8k miles. Thats usually including a trackday and plenty of 'enthusiastic' driving. No idea how they compare to the uniroyals.

Feedback wise I'm not sure how good any tyre will be at that price but I still quite like the Toyo's. Seem predictable to me and at a trackday in 2008 at Snetterton I was the only C not to visit the grass at some point and that was with Toyo fronts and Bridgestone rears.

Best I've had on mine for feedback were either the Conti Sport Contacts I've just replaced with the Toyo's or the Goodyear Eagle F1's I went to the Nurburgring with.... so much grip, but expensive in 205/50/15 size I'm afraid.

at a trackday in 2008 at Snetterton I was the only C not to visit the grass at some point and that was with Toyo fronts and Bridgestone rears.

haha, i wouldnt necessarily blame the tyres for that :) a bit of over-enthusiasm and some off-line icy-wetness is how i prefer to look at it!

but expensive in 205/50/15 size I'm afraid.

its an expensive size in general unfortunately. as has been mentioned before 195/50/15 T1Rs are £30 vs £50, michelin exaltos are £55 vs £100 which is frankly criminal for such a minute size variation.

i've got rainsport2s on at the moment and I would say they must have done at least 10k by now and are about 60% worn. that has been 80% motorway driving but they're a good tyre if a little soft in the sidewall. t1-rs are known to wear on the outer edge more noticeably than the centre but thats not to say they're not a good performer nonetheless.

at a trackday in 2008 at Snetterton I was the only C not to visit the grass at some point and that was with Toyo fronts and Bridgestone rears.

haha, i wouldnt necessarily blame the tyres for that :) a bit of over-enthusiasm and some off-line icy-wetness is how i prefer to look at it!

indeed! I was chasing an M5 for my first spin and ice was definitely a factor on the second one. i think i had proxes on, but they were stretched and quite worn.

Im considering changing the tyres and going from 205 to 215/40/17's. I know tyre make etc has a lot to do with it but has anyone done this and noticed a better ride quality?

Oh and since Ive sold another set of wheels Im looking at the premium brands now. Conti 3's seem to be the best all rounder. Any other suggestions? Ive seen Kwikfit are doing some good deals but it looks like they are not adding on fitting, valves etc to the price so be wary.

Kwik fit are expensive, even with the 25 % discount. Conti CS3 is a fantastic tyre, highly recommended.

Yes I went for 215/40/17 on my comps. They work really well but look a bit plump in the arches.

Oh and contisports aren't available in 205/50/15.

Main difference is improved ride comfort. Feels the same through the corners etc. TBH, I only got them (KU31s) because they were available at the time. 205/40 ContiSport3s were £140 each at mates rates, so didn't fancy that just before xmas and 205/40 KU31s weren't available.

If I was to retyre the 17s now, I would stomach the price and go for 205/40 ContiSport 3s for sure....

Nice! I really like simple assymetric treads like that. Corrados like them too. Less tramlining!

Let us know what they're like!

I've got some T1-R's and I'm probably gonna buy some Rainsport 2's in 195/50/15.

Would it be more wise to have the Rainsport's on the front and the Toyo's on the rear?

The better tyres on the rear, so the rainsports on the rear.

My thought process was this though:

The rainsport's are much better at wet grip and aqua planing etc, so would they benefit more from being at the front, rather than the back?

The T1-R's are brand new as well btw

it depends on the situation really, people say put the best tyres on the rear because understeer from lack of front grip is more predictable than oversteer from a lack of rear grip. ie. going round a bend, running wide is more controllable than the back of the car coming round on you.

however, other people would say that they'd rather have the grip at the front so that the car grips and goes where they want when they want it to, and are happy to let their driving skill sort out any rear-end liveliness.

as usual, it comes down to accomodating the lowest common denominator (ie. the least capable drivers) rather than encouraging people to develop skills for all different road conditions who could then get the best out of the equipment that they are using.

(all that said, the rainsports are probably a bit more squidgy than the toyos so the benefits of their tread pattern may be balanced by a slightly less precise turn-in over the toyos and so it really comes down to whether you think you're going to be doing lots of wet driving or not.)

Has anyone had any experience with the Vredestein Sportrac 3's? They look like quite good value for money.

Yes, I've got a set of them and have been pleased with them. My only complaint is they sometimes struggle for grip in slow sharp corners. Aside from that I can't fault them much. They give way gently and have never caught me out.

Well Im going to try some Vredstein Ultrac Cento's. £90 fitted price. Will try two on the front to start with and if there any good get the other two. They look very similar to the Conti's and seem to get some decent wet results.

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Vrede ... -Cento.htm

I can report that in the 10miles test I had last night these tyres felt very good. Right up until I found a bloody massive pothole :mad2: . Alloy bent but tyre appears ok. Going to get 4 all round I think. Very Contisportcontact like in tread.

Quick photo of the new Vred's. I hade the other two fitted today and plan to do a couple of hundred miles this weekend including a trackday so I will report back on how they are. They appear less streched than the 452's I took off and they have a very good rim protector on them. Thats on a 7.5in by the way.