Sign in to follow this  
Buddha

We know what you drive!!! What do you do???

Im an apprentice mechanical engineer with a company called DSG which overhauls and rebuild all current british military vehicles.

I am a logistics technician at Alstom Power, which build large generators for power stations worldwide.

I am also at college one day a week hoping to one day become a fully fledged mechanical engineer.

I work for TNT unloading the artic lorries all night, get to see how badly peoples stuff are handled

'Business Analyst' for a software company near Glasgow. I say business analyst because it's a bit of everything, solution design, analysis, testing and so on. :)

I'm surrounded by self confessed geeks, but am not a geek!

I'm a Test Analyst for Argos Direct. I basically test the loyalty schemes we have with Play.com, Amazon, AA, etc. And when I say 'Test', its User Acceptance Testing so I basically click it, if it don't work pass it to a techie :lol:

I worked for the largest automotive manufacturing company in the world who were recently shot down to size and put back in their place by something called Toyota recall lol. I was a Die maintenance fitter/technician at their aluminium casting division at their Engine plant in north Wales. Got to play about with thermic lances and big indoor cranes. :D

most of the top nobs in their usually end up going into the 'Lean manufacturing/management consultancy field.. so if you have recently been made redundant from a company that went thru dramatic change..it was probably down to one of those consultants...Boo!!!!1 :censored: I prefered not to follow the company way and continued to get my hands dirty.

I say that now but for the last 3 years I havent worked due several medical conditions. I was diagnosed with ME (yuppie flu - to you 80's dudes) a while back and a year later was diagnosed with type 1 Bipolar after many bouts of depression followed by total utter crazyness!!

Im now using my time off to re-educate, im at college doing foundation courses that will get me into Uni next year. i will be 35 and going back into full time education....doing a degree in.....Yes...computer science, to train and get into the field or IT lol..but then again I quite fancy being a lecturer of mature students.. theres lots of single hot chicks at the college!! :clap:

Im a Data Analyst at npower and deal with meter installs/removals and readings that are wrong on the system due to your meter reader getting things wrong!!! No i dont deal with your bills so no PMs!!! :lol:

I'm a Test Analyst for Argos Direct. I basically test the loyalty schemes we have with Play.com, Amazon, AA, etc. And when I say 'Test', its User Acceptance Testing so I basically click it, if it don't work pass it to a techie :lol:

BUT i also do UAT for the system we use, currently testing the new way of working your suppliers are goign to work - only getting your meters read every 6 months. I am however on the hunt to actually getting paid to do UAT, at the mo im doing it voluntarily and have been for the last 6 years.

Yacobwood, any idea if there's anything going at your company in the Leeds/yorkshire area? Ive been applying for jobs but havent got anywhere at the mo?

Im a Data Analyst at npower and deal with meter installs/removals and readings that are wrong on the system due to your meter reader getting things wrong!!! No i dont deal with your bills so no PMs!!! :lol:

So are you the f*cker who tried to bill me 1300 quid for a meter that wasn't mine? Or are you the b*stard who took a year to finally rectify it? :censored:

(no offence meant Gaz, you're a top bloke, but npower are utterly useless w*nkers)

Fix big 70 tonne tanks and other big diesels. thats why i drive a petrol :lol:

finished my advanced aprenticeship last year,all i do now(mostly) is inspect all the vehicles and help train younger lads.

whats difference between all this collage stuff? NVQs,advanced aprenticeship,distinctions.i got all these quals and dont have a clue what they mean?

Im a commercial team leader for Sainsbury's :gag:

Basiclly Im second in charge of everything to do with Pricing and ticketing (price changes, pricing problems, advertising ect ect), backdoor (recieving deliveries, unloading wagons ect) the cash office ( balancing the tills ect ) and all the third party contractors ( sercurity, cleaners, maintenance builders )

So commercial is preaty much the general dogs body for the store, with out us the store couldnt open, but every one seams to s**t all over us first chance they get :bad-words:

I do hate my job :( but I hate the customers even more, they all ways talk down to you and think you are stupid because you work for a super market. I had one customer say to me " can you tell me if you have any balsamic vinegar in stock, You do know what that is dont you?" So I told him we didnt have any knwoing full well there was a shelf round the corner full of it, arrogant :censored:

:grin:

Just graduated from university, got a 2.1 in politics, currently managing a shell petrol station whilst looking for a job in london to earn a decent amount so that I can get into property developing and eventually new builds. Most of my time is spent at work and messing around with the corrado but I also surf, ski, drum, play guitar and am really into extreme sports and getting huge adrenaline rushes! I also spend a lot of time with my girlfriend and am hoping to get a house with a garage asap!

Im a commercial team leader for Sainsbury's :gag:

Basiclly Im second in charge of everything to do with Pricing and ticketing (price changes, pricing problems, advertising ect ect), backdoor (recieving deliveries, unloading wagons ect) the cash office ( balancing the tills ect ) and all the third party contractors ( sercurity, cleaners, maintenance builders )

So commercial is preaty much the general dogs body for the store, with out us the store couldnt open, but every one seams to s**t all over us first chance they get :bad-words:

I do hate my job :( but I hate the customers even more, they all ways talk down to you and think you are stupid because you work for a super market. I had one customer say to me " can you tell me if you have any balsamic vinegar in stock, You do know what that is dont you?" So I told him we didnt have any knwoing full well there was a shelf round the corner full of it, arrogant :censored:

I can sympathise with this, because I work in a petrol station I'm automatically thick as shit it pisses me off so much, so next time you go to a petrol station don't talk down to them chances are they have more bewtween their ears than you do! I also didn't realise how badly people stink they literally stink so we have air freshner behind the desk lol I hate customer relations , most of them I want to punch in the face!

I'm a Live Sound Engineer, work for a PA hire company based in Liverpool, gig all over, we do a lot of the gigs in Manchester Academy 1&2 and supplied PA for the last Kaiser Chiefs tour. This summer's been an almost non-stop run of festivals for us, from Radio 1 Big Weekend through to Leeds/Reading so time for Corrado tinkering has been pretty limited of late! I love the job most of the time, despite the money not being great, I got to spend 3 and a half months in Ibiza, working on Ibiza Rocks in 2008 which was pretty cool. Got into sound while I was at uni, studying materials science and had to turn it into a career when I failed my degree...that was a decade ago!

Whereabouts were you doing Materials Science?

Design Engineer for Pipeline Systems (Oil,gas, etc).. :sleeping:

Currently contracted by BP, so apologies to all you crusties and lentil munchers out there :lol:

Well I left school and went into the car bodyshop, for stupid reasons I left after 3 months and started 4 years of plastering, loved it but hated it at the same time, it just didn't stimulate the brain as much as I need as I get really bored easily. So I moved into mechanical engineering, started out in air conditioning then moved into commercial refrigeration which is for the big supermarkets, been doing it 10 years now and again thinking it's time for a change lol.

I work at RAF Brize norton for Serco as a consignment tracker in air cargo :) work in all different aspects of air cargo, track all the freight in and out of warzones and other Raf Bases and get to drive all the different raf vehicles including the 16 tonne hyster forlift :)

I can sympathise with this, because I work in a petrol station I'm automatically thick as **** it pisses me off so much, so next time you go to a petrol station don't talk down to them chances are they have more bewtween their ears than you do! I also didn't realise how badly people stink they literally stink so we have air freshner behind the desk lol I hate customer relations , most of them I want to punch in the face!

Been there on both accounts! When I finished my masters I worked in Virgin Megastore for a year cos I couldn't find a job (lack of experience yadda yadda) and some of the customers were right :censored: s!

Thank God I now work away from the general public! And the free beer is another good point :grin:

BUT i also do UAT for the system we use, currently testing the new way of working your suppliers are goign to work - only getting your meters read every 6 months. I am however on the hunt to actually getting paid to do UAT, at the mo im doing it voluntarily and have been for the last 6 years.

Yacobwood, any idea if there's anything going at your company in the Leeds/yorkshire area? Ive been applying for jobs but havent got anywhere at the mo?

Unfortunately not sorry. They only hire internally and out of the 6 new secondies (me being one of them), i might have my contract terminated in march :(

so next time you go to a petrol station don't talk down to them chances are they have more bewtween their ears than you do! I also didn't realise how badly people stink they literally stink so we have air freshner behind the desk lol I hate customer relations , most of them I want to punch in the face!

so people who work in petrol stations are cleverer than most but have yet to fulfil their potential? :wink: