Sign in to follow this  
Buddha

We know what you drive!!! What do you do???

some peeps have some great jobs on here ..me im just a plasterer!, this thread reminds me of goin on friends reunited , i just look from time to time .saw a comment from a geezer in my year at school ,it said in ahman cant say any more , saw a mate a few months later n he said oh that guy who's family were all in the army? yea he's in the regiment ! fair play to him what an achievment .

I'm a commercial pilot in training, currently doing an aviation studies degree at kingston uni along side my flying...not cheap!

:wave:

n1624020019_5822_1121.jpg

I'm an Emergency Dept (A&E) Doc in the Army, currently placed in the NHS and working in Bath. Spend my time doing inordinate amounts of anti-social hours and looking after all kinds of punters from grannies who have had funny turns to your proper traumas etc. Love the interesting bits, get bored of the drivel that comes through the doors though, esp the pissed up w**kers who rock up drunk! Hopefully off somewhere interesting on deployment soon.

I'm an Emergency Dept (A&E) Doc in the Army, currently placed in the NHS and working in Bath. Spend my time doing inordinate amounts of anti-social hours and looking after all kinds of punters from grannies who have had funny turns to your proper traumas etc. Love the interesting bits, get bored of the drivel that comes through the doors though, esp the pissed up w**kers who rock up drunk! Hopefully off somewhere interesting on deployment soon.

Do you (army/navy/raf medical officers) spend a lot of the time placed in the NHS?

I know at Selly Oak, a significant proportion of doctors and other medical staff there are from the armed forces, understandable with it being the RCDM

I graduated from Staffs Uni in 2006 with a BSc in Software engineering, and have worked as Software engineer, Systems engineer and now Technical Sales and Product Support Engineer for a company (Pi Shurlok) that makes ECUs for the automotive industry, predominantly focussed on Engine, Chassis and After-treatment control. Customers range from Aston Martin, through to Eaton (as in superchargers). We also design and manufacture infotainment ECUs for the likes of Jaguar. I provide support to those customers for our brand new cutting edge prototype-to-production OpenECU products, that allows our customers to rapid prototype control systems, on the same ECU that then goes into production. All very exciting for the business, as 3 years ago, we only offered consulting engineering services!

Just graduated with Applied Computing degree, currently working as bar staff :( while I save for a masters in Networking and Internet Systems at Lancaster Uni.

Was an apprentice CNC/manual machinist from 2005-2008 and carried on with the job til redundancy earlier this yr!

Was unemployed for a couple of months and now work as a delivery driver for Johnson's Dry Cleaning :lol: Cushty hours, get paid to drive, in an 09 plate Caddy! :thumbleft:

Currently studying web development...

some peeps have some great jobs on here ..me im just a plasterer!, this thread reminds me of goin on friends reunited , i just look from time to time .saw a comment from a geezer in my year at school ,it said in ahman cant say any more , saw a mate a few months later n he said oh that guy who's family were all in the army? yea he's in the regiment ! fair play to him what an achievment .

Don't sell yourself short mate, there's very few people who could do plastering for a living. Very tough job and skillful. Most don't realise how complex construction trades are. Half the time you're overcoming problems caused by some numpty doing drawings who doesn't have a practical bone in their body :nuts: On our job at the moment, the drawing shows the roof we are building. Only trouble being is, it is nothing like the drawing in reality. So we are having to design and build on site, not many people could do that :gag: Still I must be nuts as someone in a nice office being paid three times the amount I get produces crap drawings that are no use to anyone :censored:

I wouldn't change my job at all!!!

I'd be careful with people who claim to be SF, especially over the internet. There are chaps that claim all kinds of things, just for being attached to SF units in support roles or regular teeth arm units. I'm not saying your old mate is a liar - but the vast majority of people who claim to be SF - are in fact...not.

I'd be careful with people who claim to be SF, especially over the internet. There are chaps that claim all kinds of things, just for being attached to SF units in support roles or regular teeth arm units. I'm not saying your old mate is a liar - but the vast majority of people who claim to be SF - are in fact...not.

Mmmm I agree.

SAS... the worlds biggest regiment... everyone's in it...

...and if they're not in, their mate is!

Mmmm I agree.

People who are SF, dont talk about it.

I've spent the last 10 years in the RAF, joined up straight from school.

Trained up as an Avionics Technician.

Mmmm I agree.

People who are SF, dont talk about it.

i agree no one brags about it thats a given ,but i would not be supprised if he was ,it wasnt him who told me though

School work - serving wench at medieval banquets.

'Real' work - Joined Lloyds Bank Ltd, became LTSB, became Lloyds Banking Group plc.

Did 18 years in branch network starting with all range of back office routines, supervisor of back office routines, senior cashier and finally foreign bureau & international trade (forward exchange, letters of credit, foreign guarantees).

Then in the dreaded Head Office where I began maintained reference tables e.g. branch details, charging structures, and changing Base Rate.

Currently working in Commercial Banking, Credit scoring and Risk data systems.... managing the data feeds into the system that the computer uses to decide if to say NO or not :nuts:

Specifically working on amalgamating HBoS data into LTSB systems :brickwall:

Have spent most of my working life wondering whether to admit to working for a bank or not. I think it would be safer to say I was a tax inspector or traffic warden some times. :help:

Have spent most of my working life wondering whether to admit to working for a bank or not. I think it would be safer to say I was a tax inspector or traffic warden some times. :help:

Yup, unfortunately as soon as you say you work for a bank people assume you're an arrogant tosspot who gets paid millions and makes irresponsible decisions with other people's money. :brickwall:

Yes, I am personally responsible for the banking crisis. :roll:

What have you spent your £1000's in bonuses on?

There's bankers and theres Bankers.

There's a difference between 1000's of workers getting £500 (for jumping through the hoops they have been told to jump through when they are also told they should look to the whole picture of renumeration and not just the annual salary) and

500 workers getting £1000's, £10,000's, £100,000's

I blame the media.

Who's going to admit to working in that???

I work as a video conferencing support technician for a motor manufacturer. Have some networking background, having already done a CCNA/CCNP.....just bought a lab off ebay to get started on the CCIE.

Need some networking knowledge to troubleshoot videoconferencing issues... duplex mismatches, QoS verfication on switches, telnetting to video sytems via IP to make config changes, etc.... nothing too complex..... but hopefully if I can get myself a CCIE I can move more towards LAN/WAN support and eventually design/planning

Surely you could get a LAN/WAN support job with the CCNP? The route to CCIE is long, expensive and the well paid jobs few and far between. I'm a network engineer myself working on a good size network (600 odd sites, 30,000+ users) and have never felt the need to progress beyond CCNP, unless your employer is footing the bill it doesn't seem worth it anymore.

Nah.....no real experience....and to have a CCNP with no real experience means I'd have to take a lower level role, which although I wouldn't mind the work, would mean I'd have to take a fairly hefty pay cut :(

The only way I'll be able to move into a Network Support role that pays similar to (or more than!) I earn now, are to apply for roles that specifically ask for a CCIE.

The problem with the CCNP is it's undervalued......people who study geniunely for it don't get the credit they deserve.....people just think they used testking or pass4sure/examcram to pass the exams :(

Don't get me wrong, there are alot of CCNP's that really know their stuff.....and no piece of paper will ever compare to real experience.....but unfortunately that's not enough to even get you the interview in the first place.

Also, with the CCIE you cannot cheat....you need to take a full lab exam in front of a panel of network professionals.....once you have the CCIE you can PROVE you know your stuff :clap:

What have you spent your £1000's in bonuses on?

There's bankers and theres Bankers.

There's a difference between 1000's of workers getting £500 (for jumping through the hoops they have been told to jump through when they are also told they should look to the whole picture of renumeration and not just the annual salary) and

500 workers getting £1000's, £10,000's, £100,000's

I blame the media.

Who's going to admit to working in that???

I bought a Porsche with mine. Yeah right...

No bonuses for us, not even a payrise. Pay frozen last year, this year, next year. It really gets my goat when you read in the media that bankers are back getting their bonuses and that other unions (such as the tram drivers in Croydon) strike because they didn't get their full 3% rise and turn around and say "well if the bankers can get it, why can't we?" Grrrrr.

Like you say Judith, it is the tiniest of minorities who get those bonuses, yet thousands of normal office workers like you and me are still being shafted. But of course, the media doesn't care about that, they just care about Goldman Sachs who are setup to make shedloads of money anyway because that's the type of business they run.

And I got fed up of being shafted so I handed my notice in and moved north.

Trouble is I still work for them, but as a contractor. It's strange hearing all the bull sh*t talked about at annual performance review time as I don't have to play that game anymore but I feel bad for all those that still do.

Nah.....no real experience....and to have a CCNP with no real experience means I'd have to take a lower level role, which although I wouldn't mind the work, would mean I'd have to take a fairly hefty pay cut :(

The only way I'll be able to move into a Network Support role that pays similar to (or more than!) I earn now, are to apply for roles that specifically ask for a CCIE.

The problem with the CCNP is it's undervalued......people who study geniunely for it don't get the credit they deserve.....people just think they used testking or pass4sure/examcram to pass the exams :(

Don't get me wrong, there are alot of CCNP's that really know their stuff.....and no piece of paper will ever compare to real experience.....but unfortunately that's not enough to even get you the interview in the first place.

Also, with the CCIE you cannot cheat....you need to take a full lab exam in front of a panel of network professionals.....once you have the CCIE you can PROVE you know your stuff :clap:

True enough, I've met a good number of well-paid IT bods on courses who have the quals but really struggle with simple stuff like VLSMs. Really good engineers do tend to stand out, where I work there's a bloke who hasn't even taken his CCNA but is easily the most knowledgeable person on the team (of 3 CCNPs and 6 CCNAs), certainly as good as any CCIE I've met.

Good luck with it though, it's not an easy field to get into when you've not got the experience, even with a degree in Software Engineering from a top uni I still had to start at the bottom and work my way up.

Be thankful, my paycheques are signed for by RBS.

I created the whooooole world recession apparently. Nevermind the fact it was GS hiding toxic assets in ABNAmro and over valuing their portfolio before selling it on. Pah.

And I don't even work for a sodding bank, I'm under the Insurance side umbrella at work.

My brother currently works as a contractor for LTSB, he's actually based next door to our callcentre at their IT services thingy... although he's dealing with the Serviceline stuff for them...

I'm a commercial pilot in training, currently doing an aviation studies degree at kingston uni along side my flying...not cheap!

:wave:

n1624020019_5822_1121.jpg

Haha I like that! Like it a lot!

Do you (army/navy/raf medical officers) spend a lot of the time placed in the NHS?

I know at Selly Oak, a significant proportion of doctors and other medical staff there are from the armed forces, understandable with it being the RCDM

Yep - there arent enough places in the MOD hospitals for all of the doctors, so they farm us out to the NHS, i'm a bit out of the ordinary as should have gone to sandhurst 12 months ago but injured my knee, now two operations down the line and am set up to go in oct. So have ended up with an extra year in the NHS. Then a little more training and off on deployment :wave: :wave: , the wifes not so happy tho :roll:

Forum newbie here, but I work too (!) so figured I'd post.

I narrowly avoided a lifetime of petty crime in downtown Medway in the late 80s & joined the Army,

I then left the Royal Signal's in the 90's now work for B.T @ Sevenoak's in Kent on Avaya & Call Manager(Cisco) in Client support.