Kevin Bacon

The Baconator's latest victim

Looks great Kev :) I'm going to have to invest in one of those pin-extracting kits, I'm fed up of messing around with jewellers screwdrivers trying to dismantle OE plugs - total pain in the arse!

Keep up the good work!

did you not look at loosing the r32 fly by wire throttle, and use the alfa v6 throttle body with standard cabled throttle body instead, so to loose the r32's very much on/off throttle response, and god all those wires bring back painfull memories :-(

karl

did you not look at loosing the r32 fly by wire throttle, and use the alfa v6 throttle body with standard cabled throttle body instead, so to loose the r32's very much on/off throttle response, and god all those wires bring back painfull memories :-(

karl

I think you can map the throttle response differently with the DTA ecu?

Cheers Kev,

yeah I have to go to uni to find out the stuff you already know! :/ Firing order is indeed important for a smooth running motor and reducing imbalances :D

I'll have a look at that wiki for sure.

Yeah one thing I've learned over the past few years is you can never have too many tools!! That laser pin extraction set covers most European cars, so if you ever buy a Bimmer or Volvo or a Peugeot or something, you're covered :D

Yeah Karl, you and me both! The reason I've kept the DBW throttle is just in case I need to or want to swap to the VW ECU. It will also allow me to play with other DBW throttle bodies because I'm not convinced the R32 needs a 3" throttle, which is partly why it's so snappy. The smaller 63mm throttle from the 4 mo might tame it down a bit! And yeah, Andy is right, with the DTA you can use something they call "Throttle translation" which can open the throttle plate more or less based on pedal %. So if your granny is driving it, you can tell it ti open the throttle 5% for 90% pedal movement!! You can also have nice things like cruise control, valet mode and down shift throttle blips :D

The one thing that's concerning me is the bloody coils. They are Bremi model no. 20122 and I can't even get any information from Bremi themselves, so I'll probably end up blowing a few before I get it right. Just as well I have 13 of them then really :lol: Or I still might just run a VR6 coilpack and HT leads and gaffer tape it to the block somewhere :lol:

Edited by Kevin Bacon

Nice work Kev, I've just (a couple of months ago) totally rewired my engine bay stripping out all the extra stuff I didn't need as i couldn't stand the mess in the engine bay, I always find it looks so daunting when you start with the millions of wires, but it's fine when you get into it....Probably a bit late, but you could make the engine looms fit the VW ECU, and then make a short conversion loom for your DTA (you'd have to find a knackered VW motronic ECU for the loom socket). A bit like car stereos have.

My Airbox is on the LH side, it's fairly easy to mount, I still need to make a cold air feed to it though which is quite tricky.

Cheers Kip! Yeah the wiring isn't so bad once you get stuck into it. Dare I say it's actually quite enjoyable altering the loom fit the car! I like to leave a few redundant loom sections around the engine bay as it makes adding accessories further down the line very simple :D VW's looms are made to a very high standard too, so I'm loathe to chop out the critical bits, such as the grouped sensor grounds.

Progress is sloooooooow. Mainly because I only have time for the odd job here and there and the wiring just takes an age to do neatly and reliably.

So I bought a Cosworth air temp sensor as it's an open bead type, therefore doesn't heat soak. It also refreshes immediately instead of once every 15-20 seconds like the stock VR6 one. Admittedly quick response air temp sensors are more important with turbos, but none-the-less, I like to over engineer :D

cossie_air_temp.jpg

It fits in the R8 intake bellows absolutely perfectly and tightly....

air_temp_sensor.jpg

And the necessary plug...

airtemp_in_bellows.jpg

Map sensor installed using a redundant outlet....

map_sensor.jpg

I don't know about other R32 intakes but my MK5 one only had 4 brass inserts installed, which angled the motor housing at 45 degrees. I wanted to prop it up vertically to give me more room round the back for the proposed 180 deg elbow, so I pinched these inserts out of my 4Motion intake and stuck them into the R32 one!

inserts.jpg

....much more like it! :D

throttle_angle.jpg

I've seen some excellent OE+ 24V installs (yours especially Kip) done with as many MK4/5 parts as possible, but I want to use as many Corrado parts as possible, so I'm liking how well the R32 lump sits with the stock airbox :D

I wish there was a way to plastic weld a throttle flange on the left hand side though!

airbox.jpg

Edited by Kevin Bacon

Hello whats going on here! :o

If this doesnt have a turbo on it within a couple of years I will be round to have a word! :D Either way be nice to finaly meet up lol

Looks like top work as always Kev

Cheers guys!

The car is back together now and I've just got the fans and ECU to wire up, and it's done!

Img_0045.jpg

I've read about people chopping rear engine mounts, dipsticks pressing on fans (slimline), only being able to fit one fan etc but I don't seem to be having any of those issues. Never the less, things are bloody tight in R32 land!!

Img_0046.jpg

Believe it or not there's about an inch clearance in there, which is plenty with VT mounts.

Img_0048.jpg

As somebody showed an interest in my pin extractor toolset, I thought I'd recommend another quality wiring product: PressMaster crimps :D They're very reasonably priced at around £30 for the ratchet and £25 each for the crimp dies. You can get all sorts of dies for cars, computers and radio / satellite equipment, so they're another tool for life!

Img_0042.jpg

They're really nice to use and make a perfect crimp every time :D

Img_0041.jpg

Not sure how you got away without the engine mounts being modified but good news. Mine didnt sit level so needed the rear left (subframe) shortening slightly to make it all sit nicely.

Loving that tool, will look at getting one, great idea how the dies interlock like lego so you dont loose them.

I'm going to have to learn how to read wiring schematics with my plans on the corrado any suggestions where to start. How did you come about at being so good with wiring etc and so able at getting bits like r8 intakes lol

It all went in without fouling anything and it sits at the same angle as the 12V, so modding the mounts didn't even cross my mind tbh! :D

Yeah those crimp tools are brilliant. I stumbled onto them on RS's website when looking for a cheaper version of the tool DTA use to crimp the ECU pins. The official Tyco crimper for that connector type costs £1000!!! They also came in handy when hardwiring my PC's, Xbox and AppleTVs etc to the switch (I hate Wi-fi) as it also has RJ45 and RJ11 dies :D

LOL, the R8 intakes were a lucky guess :D I was reading Evo in the bath one evening (as you do) and I saw an engine bay shot of a V10 Gallardo. I saw the intake bellows and I immediately thought of a good use for them in the Corrado! I got my mate at the local Audi dealer to order a pair the next day and they turned out to be absolutely spot on :D They're only 20 quid, so they're a cheap way to brag to your mates you have supercar parts on your Corrado :lol:

As for the wiring, I learned through a mixture of mistakes and wiring up standalones! I used to be very blasé about car electrics as I hated doing it. Cheap 'make do' crimps, crummy soldering attempts, half-hearted insulating and clumping loads of wires together without making a note of what they do etc etc. I'm lucky the car didn't catch fire! Silly things like botched crimps disconnecting 40 miles from home and wires abrading through on metal corners...... you soon learn to do things properly!

I'm not sure what to recommend by way of learning car electrics as every car is different. Decent tools do help a lot though but it's hard to justify the cost of them if they will only get used occasionally. Best thing to do is start your wiring project and figure out what you need from there. I think I saw you live fairly near Heresites? I could pop up with my 'bag o wires' and lend a hand if you get stuck!

Yeah I'm not far from him, may take you up on the offer if I get really stuck.

I ask as I plan to have ESP and TC fitted to mine so I reckon I'll need to pretty compitent at reading diagrams. I'm happy to learn and have the time/space to do it, it's just a case on where to start lol. More recently Iv'e started to do the wiring properly, for example I made myself a complete new loom for the recaros including the vw connectors, in the past I would have used cheap crimps like you mentioned. Doing it right made it much more rewarding, even if its never seen once installed.

Will have to catch up at some point, maybe at a Corrado meet, if you ever go to them?

KevFish, great updates as usual.

I was thinking of you the other day :camp: about your high power NA aspirations (no pun intended) and wondering whether you were thinking of throttle bodies or such like? Also maybe some bottom end mods like R36 crank (not sure if it fits, just thoughts really!) or knife-edging the standard to reduce drag etc etc.

Sam, it's a lot a more satisfying doing a proper loom isn't it? You don't have that horrible doubt in the back of your mind about it failing like you get when you 2 wires together with a bit of tape! Creating a new loom when you know exactly where both ends go is also 'fun' compared to troubleshooting a fault in an existing loom!

So this TC and ESP, this is in the VW ECU yeah? Or are you going to be using the Dark side of the force? Shouldn't be hard to do wiring wise, but mapping wise there will be a few challenges to overcome but once you get started on it we can chip in with some assistance :D

BoostFish, cheers for the suggestions! Actually, my high power NA aspirations are temporarily on hold. Project "Get the thing running first" has taken priority :lol: I'm not sure about the R32 crank as it's designed for the 10.5 degree block and I've got ye old school 15 deg block. Nice plan though. It might be a rpm limited though having uber long crank throw? Throttle bodies would be lovely if enclosed like BMW M engines, but open ones, nah.... not my cup of tea! The R32 sump has a nice windage tray in it anyway, which stops any oily frothing action?

Well, I am considering the wiring via standard ECU but I could be routed to something else. I actually didnt consider any other control systems as they firstly scare me and secondly I didnt realise they offerd ESP (tc I knew of).

Looking forward to seeing this one get to the "running first" stage, then will be excited to see where else it goes (obv for biased reasons so I can learn by your mistakes *cough*, sorry I meant experimentations ;-))

I spent hours trying to figure out a way of getting the Airbox onto the other side. In the end I concluded the easiest way to do it was to use a turbo!!

Fair play HayWick, I think you're right that a long stroke would be a more lazy torque turner. ITBs enclosed sound like a good idea. I love the noise but they can be a bit pikey if they open to the elements. I wonder if we could get a group buy going including a custom enclosure? :D :D :D

With the airbox on t'other side, I guess custom manifold would be one of the only options? Obviously this is met by the use of a turbo, unless you fancy keeping the stock inlet!

I spent hours trying to figure out a way of getting the Airbox onto the other side. In the end I concluded the easiest way to do it was to use a turbo!!

Indeed and what a great excuse to use one :D I don't even know if the standard airbox is A) big enough and B) if that massive intake tract will completely kill the top end power or not, but it's a curiousity I can't let go of!

Well, I am considering the wiring via standard ECU but I could be routed to something else. I actually didnt consider any other control systems as they firstly scare me and secondly I didnt realise they offerd ESP (tc I knew of).

Looking forward to seeing this one get to the "running first" stage, then will be excited to see where else it goes (obv for biased reasons so I can learn by your mistakes *cough*, sorry I meant experimentations ;-))

If you're going 4WD then defo use the standard ECU. You'll need the interior harness though and the yaw sensors etc. The R32 also uses a steering angle sensor for the ESP, so you might even need to use the whole steering column from the donor car. But in doing so you'd have the only Corrado in the UK with airbags?! :D

If she fires up and works nicely then there'll be lots of experiments to follow :D

Fair play HayWick, I think you're right that a long stroke would be a more lazy torque turner. ITBs enclosed sound like a good idea. I love the noise but they can be a bit pikey if they open to the elements. I wonder if we could get a group buy going including a custom enclosure? :D :D :D

With the airbox on t'other side, I guess custom manifold would be one of the only options? Obviously this is met by the use of a turbo, unless you fancy keeping the stock inlet!

The stock inlet is going to be the biggest restriction to my power goals. Apparently there was an R32 race series in Germany a while ago and those engines were making well over 300hp with cams and short runners. I see the R32 as a big lump of untapped potential. With the 12V you were always going to be power limited as the head is rubbish, unless you squeeze air in with a turbo. The R32 has tonnes of flow, so the only thing holding it back is cams, intake and mapping.

Slowly getting there.

The wiring is by far the most time consuming bit but finally it's done and looks like a Corrado again.

Img_0010.jpg

That big bunch of wires now have a job to do, which Mr DTA will duly ensure they get on with :D

Img_0012.jpg

This time round I've installed a seperate fuse and relay for the fans and a heavy duty connector in case the front end comes off again. The DTA will run both fans and I'll bring Fan 1 in at 93 deg and Fan 2 (the big one!) at 96 degrees. This will reduce the load on the alternator and stop the revs dipping when they cut in, which is what happened previously when I fired up both fans together.

Img_0011.jpg

I calibrated the throttle and that's working nicely now. I've uploaded a video of it working, which is basically the throttle plate moving as I jump up and down on the gas pedal :D [video=youtube;R4mzR-L5-lc]

The throttle is calibrated in DTA's TCWin software. You basically just tell it the open and closed positions and it's done :D

DTA_TCWin.jpg

This is what I'll be using to tune the fuelling and advance when it's running, which is a DTA Dyno box. DTA charge a fortune for them but a guy on the DTA forum makes them for a good price. With this box I can make fuel and timing adjustments on the fly and save back to the map. It's basically how I'm going to nurse the car up to Vince for mapping!!

Img_00172.jpg

As the car had been sitting still for 6 months and it was such a nice day, I thought I'd wheel it out of the garage and give it a clean and stop the tyres getting flat spots. After nearly 8 years of modding, it's almost standard again, well, externally at least!

Img_00023.jpg

Edited by Kevin Bacon

Looking good on the Speedo's... so when is 'turning the key in the ignition' day? It can't be far away now..?

Not sure yet mate! I need to order a few bits to sort the intake and fuel lines, which are the only 2 things remaining. Maybe next weekend if all goes to plan :D

Can't wait to hear that R32 Bwaaaaaarp !!