Kevin Bacon

The Baconator's latest victim

very interesting, Makes me want to get a 24v and start some tinkering! I thought you had a 2.8 not a 3.2?

It is good to see that engineers are VW dont just sit around and twiddle thier thumbs. So is it up and running yet? Im acutally starting to like the roughness of the 12v again after driving the Rocco.

Not dull at all mate - absolutely fascinating. I love any opportunity to learn how this stuff all goes together! Keep em coming!

A nice update there, Kev. That block does indeed look good considering it's been dormant for so long- top work! What management are you gonna run with this?

Looking good Kev, some serious skill you have there!

Now please clean the bay before you put it all in lol.

Nice write up and as others have said good skills Kev!

Where did you get the cams from and when do you think it'll be finished? I might have to come up and see you one day, find out if they are worth the effort!

Hope this doesn't get sold afterwards, 24V conversions have a nasty habit of making the owners fall out of love with the car!!

Hope this doesn't get sold afterwards, 24V conversions have a nasty habit of making the owners fall out of love with the car!!

I can't see it.. I think Kev is in for the long term!

I can't see it.. I think Kev is in for the long term!

I question this cowboys loyalty myself :lol:

Keep the 'dull' posts coming Kev - I think most of us find them very interesting

what size engine is it and whats the potential power without forced induction.

when fitted will there be room for a turbo, will it need one.

Cheers guys :D

Management wise I'll try the DTA first as it's all wired in from the previous engine but if it doesn't work out, I'll track down a MK4 ECU and loom from somewhere.

Yeah it will be turboed eventually but first I want to see what an R can do on it's own :D

I think people fall out with 24V conversions because A) it's never as simple or as cheap as some people claim, B) the engines torque curve isn't to everyones tastes and C) the fuel economy is terrible! As Jim says, I'm in it for the long game. It will be interesting to see what it can do! I'm not expecting anything in particular from it, it's just a big lego set to me and I will apply my usual program of changes until I'm happy with it :D

Technically it's a massive improvement over the 12V and improvements in materials and machining means it will last longer than a 12V too. The only problem with it to my eyes, is being shackled to an emissions tight ECU. In my world, engines get what they need and nothing more: fuel and air. The rest can take a hike :D

Hasan, I do still have a 2.8 24V but I got a good deal on the 32 lump which I couldn't refuse :D

I've had the 3.2 24v engine in mine for over a year and a half now and seriousely cant see why people fall out of love with them. Yes fuel economy is poor, but don't they expect that when going larger/more hp?

I didnt do the conversion for economy, I did it for the performance on tap and the extra that can be achieved with some tweaks.

Looking forward to seeing what the DTA can do (if anything) on your engine as my only gripe with my setup is the flat spot near low end.

I have zero flat spots on mine with DTA ecu.I think R32 engine suits corrado very well and Its a different league against 12V. Only one thing I miss is the 12V intake noise as there is none on mine. But the hell is coming passing 4000 rev. I will never put old one back.

Ditto, the 12v noise was much better. But I've had an exhaust on the 24v at one point which made it sound very nice indeed, only got rid of it as I wanted a "quite" system.

I would still have mine if the turbo hadnt come along. It was a lot better than the 12v, even noise wise but I had Techtonics which suited it very well. You can basically drive just as fast on half throttle compared to full throttle for the 12v.

We are getting of topic here a bit, what benefits will the DTA give you over the standard management as I thought it was quite good? Im assuming your running the standard clocks?

Hasan, I do still have a 2.8 24V but I got a good deal on the 32 lump which I couldn't refuse :D

Hmmm, interesting. Give me a shout if you want to pass the 2.8 on...

Good to hear some views from 24V owners!

You can basically drive just as fast on half throttle compared to full throttle for the 12v.

Bear in mind with DBW that half pedal isn't necessarily half throttle :D

what benefits will the DTA give you over the standard management as I thought it was quite good? Im assuming your running the standard clocks?

The standard ECU is way more sophisticated than the DTA. It has to be to control all the emissions crap. The DTA can control all of the key functions as VW intended but in a Corrado that doesn't need to meet EU4 or EU5 emissions, I don't need to worry about EGR, Auxillary air pumping, pre and post lambda, Exhaust cam retard / advance, sequential injection, sequential coils, EGT, none of it!

All I'm interested in is the inlet cam and intake adjustments as they are what give the engine it's torque.

Simple is the order of the day with this one :D

Hasan, I'll have a think about it. It's got all new chains and has been stripped and inspected. It's a good lump but it needs a few things to finish it off.

Couple of small updates....

I sorted the oil filter housing so I could retain the original oil buzzer circuit, the MFA oil temp and the oil pressure gauge. 24Vs only have one sender, so you need a T peice in the auxillary outlet. I used the T peice from my old VRT but it's 1/8 NPT thread instead of M10 x 1, so I just retapped the housing to suit :D

Img_0019.jpg

Hanging down conveniently out of the way was a fluke (it's a bulky sender). That's just the position where the T peice happened to fully tighten :D

Img_0022.jpg

Img_0028.jpg

Seeing an R32 lump in a Corrado is nothing new by any means, but I've always loved how they sit in Corrados and the near finished look is spurring me on :D

I'd love to run the stock Corrado air box in it's stock location and I'm going to look into it. For me this is just going to be a V6 Corrado, nothing fancy. I want it to look as original and plain as possible. I don't even like the R32's red coil covers, so black is the order of the day :D

I've made a start on the wiring too. The factory loom will be connected up in it's entirety (inc knock sensors) in case I want to run the standard ECU at some point in the future, so it will just be a case of switching plugs at the ECU end :D

Img_0023.jpg

Edited by Kevin Bacon

Oh and a question for the R32 gurus, where does the ECU pick up intake air temp from? There's no sender (or a hole for one) in the inlet manifold!