Kevin Bacon

The Baconator's latest victim

I looked at this and its not worth it. The gap between 4th and 5th would be huge and you wont sacrifice to much mpg keeping stock 5th. I never had a problem in my old car and managed about 28mpg on the run down to Inters at 80-90mph.

Glad to hear it's all sorted Kev, hearing how it goes makes me wish i'd get a move on with mine to get it properly finished and on the road, unfortunately the house rennovation comes first!

I have a nearly new (less than 1k miles I reckon) Jetex if you are interested?

Good to hear, it does sound just like my old green one with a little bit extra. Ive heard that might be up for sale....

Anyway good to hear its going well and the R engine is suiting you. All I can say is do not go in a car with one of these engines with a turbo fitted. Was out in a turbo'd R Mk2 on Sat and the power is relentess. Compared to my old car where it would pull but tail off slightly this thing was like it shifted another gear. That was with a GT3582 as well, utterly mental.

You hit the nail on the head when you said you make rapid progress with a 24V without using much throttle. Before I drove it I just couldn't see that happening, but it's true! :D Looking at my ECU logs, I've not yet exceeded 47% throttle and that was when I was chasing the ST.

Hmmmmm, I had all but convinced myself to sell my GT3582R over the weekend as "no longer required". Damn you! :D

Yeah my 12V T was like that too. Strong as you like from 3500rpm but noticably tailed off around 6500rpm. The engine's flow clearly max'd out. No such issues with the big R!

Really glad to hear its running right, I always kick myself for not finishing my R32 conversion but its all about circumstances. Will definitely need a good poke around this at the rolling road day, might give me a push into going down that route!

Quick question about the final drive you might know, I've been looking at doing the G60 final drive but I would hate to lower the gearing at top end as in my opinion 4th and 5th are too close. Would you have any idea what a g60 final drive and a diesel 5th would be like? I'm hoping that would give me best of both worlds.

And I wish I'd done it sooner! :D I can't believe how "yeah, what ever" I used to feel about R32s but in a lighter car like the Corrado, it's an epic engine! History repeats itself. Back in the day, MK1 16V owners used to comment on the 16V engine leaving the factory in the wrong car too :D

As Graeme says, it's not worth it mate. You'd get nice and high up in the rpms in 4th and then when you select your diesel 5th, it'd be like you've mis-shifted and selected 6th by mistake :lol: The big 6 is so smooth you don't really notice the busier cruise rpm and always being in the meat of the torque at motorway cruising speeds more than makes up for any [very] minor downsides.

In fact the ONLY downside I can think of is a slower top speed, but frankly, Top speed is meaningless as it has no place in every day life. Improved acceleration on the other hand is something you'll appreciate on a daily basis :D

---------- Post added at 04:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:15 PM ----------

Glad to hear it's all sorted Kev, hearing how it goes makes me wish i'd get a move on with mine to get it properly finished and on the road, unfortunately the house rennovation comes first!

I have a nearly new (less than 1k miles I reckon) Jetex if you are interested?

Really? I thought yours was done ages ago! I must pay more attention to people's builds!

Is yours the 3 or 2 silencer flavour? I could very well be interested if it's the former :D

why cant you just say its a crap engine and its pants in a corrado, that way you may stop people on here spending there hard earned you swine.

But glad your happy with it mate, may be down your way in a few weeks so may drop you a text if thats ok??

Hmmmmm, I had all but convinced myself to sell my GT3582R over the weekend as "no longer required". Damn you! :D

Im sure I could take it of your hands along with the block......lol.

Edited by coullstar

Sounds like you've created something really special in this latest re-incarnation and shown those so inclined the art of the possible. Great work! Your car will live forever

[/color]

Really? I thought yours was done ages ago! I must pay more attention to people's builds!

Is yours the 3 or 2 silencer flavour? I could very well be interested if it's the former :D

Well it was just about finished,but then I took it all apart again to redo the engine loom in corrugated stuff and I haven't put it all back together again since! Just haven't had time really.

It's a three box system, I'm only selling because I would like to experiment with exhaust flap valves etc.

Edited by KipVR

Thanks guys!

7 months is a long time though? :D

Kip, PMd

Karl, sure thing chap! I wish I could say it's crap. I did actually think it would be crap initially :lol:

So the old girl is accelerating, over-running and cruising nicely now. Just the dreaded idling and cold starting / warmup to sort, which are always by far the hardest and most time consuming to get right.

I think I've nailed the idle, it's 80% there. Cold starting takes a few more turns than I'd like but I'll sort it.

Once that's done, it's time to play with the VVT and revel in some monster torque :D

And then when that's done, time to throw the cams in. By that time it should have a 1000 or more proofing miles on it.

Fingers crossed I won't need the VW ECU. I want to stay on the dark side of the force!

Really fancy this conversion now remembering how easy the 24v was to drive. Not really had any time in the 12v yet, but soon will and I have a feeling I will miss the lazy 24v. Love you attention to detail Kev and the way you present it in your thread.

With regard to the slow starting I remember when I was wiring up my 24v conversion and used the whole loom, the fuel pump was primed when you opened the drivers door, which threw me at first when I was wiring up the doors and the fuel pump kept running :) VW obviously designed this in so as soon as you turned the key it was ready to go as most people don't wait between ignition and start like we all probably do. Doubt its anything more than that, but worth bearing in mind for yours.

Jay

Thanks Jay!

Since it's completion I've been struggling to think of reasons why more people don't do it :D It's completely exceeded all my expecations :D

Now would be a good time to look into it with news of an imminent 3p fuel increase fresh in people's minds, plus another rise planned for August. Despite this and the current recession, I can actually forsee R32 engines holding their value or going up in price. Mainly because MK4 and 5 R32 owners who love their cars as much as we love our Cs will want to keep them running for as long as possible and also because installing one into an older VW is cheaper than rebuilding a VR6 engine (professionally)!

And for those who want more power, lots more power, the R32 is the perfect base platform for that too!

Food for thought :D

Yeah our Polo does the pump prime thing when you open the door too, and replicating that on your Corrado was a really nice touch! I did always admire the fact yours used so much of the donor car, right down to that level :D

In this case though, the standalone ECU primes the fuel pump for 5 seconds when you turn the ignition on, so it's essentially the same function. It's mainly because I haven't found the sweet spot for the amount of fuel to throw in whilst cranking. The DTA does it with percentage against water and air temp, but the OE ECU will have way more sophistication than that, plus it can start the engine anywhere in the firing order, whereas mine has to do a full 360 degree sync first. I'm not that fussed by a super quick startup to be honest, so long as it does just start, I'm happy :D

And what Kip means by that is, have I fitted this Jetex exhaust yet, which somehow found it's way into my spare room? :D

Erm, no is the answer. I have a very low enthusiasm for jobs that involve climbing under the car, especially this time of year!

Jetex_63mm_corrado_exhaust.jpg

That must be a pretty light exhaust. An OEM one would tear that box to shreds in seconds :lol:

Weather is meant to be pretty good this weekend so it's your last chance before winte really kicks in! :D

Must have missed it but what wrong with the Techtonics one? I loved mine, perfect sound. Cut the tailpipe of this one and get an OE looking tailpip on.

Yeah it's seen it's fair share of exhausts :D The Techtonics one on there currently is the single silencer one. I did a swap with Leon a while ago for my dual borla one (wish I hadn't now!!). I was going to import another one but they're £450ish before shipping and taxes now!!! The Jetex was quick and easy to get hold of and not too horrifically priced.

Cut the tailpipe of this one and get an OE looking tailpip on.

That's exactly what I planned to do on mine!

Havent been on the forum for ages and god to see you are still 'posting the envelope' Kev. Great work on a great car

rgds James

---------- Post added at 03:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:19 PM ----------

Havent been on the forum for ages and god to see you are still 'posting the envelope' Kev. Great work on a great car

rgds James

Thanks mate, long time no see!!

I'm a little gutted. See the first Jetex silencer there? Well it's too darn tight in the tunnel!! There's like, less than a cm's clearance either side of it. Not sure what's going on there but I've decided to bypass it as it's going to clonk. I'll just run the other two silencers for now. The tube drops to 1.5" inside the front silencer anyway, so not sure what that would do to a throbbing great 3.2 litre trying to relieve itself of it's waste gases!!

This means I won't be able to make tomorrow's RR Day as I've had to order some parts :(

Img_0002-4.jpg

I also had to lose the cat. Never mind. No front silencer or cat should make it breathe a little freer! It's all I managed to get done today.

Notice the hammerited brake lines :D I would do yours if they're rusty too. Should buy some time. Top tip for painting them, get a piece of sponge and dunk it in the hammerite and rub it up and down the pipes. So much easier than brushes / spray etc.

Img_0003-3.jpg

Edited by Kevin Bacon

Its tight either side of the tunnel ,isnt it kev? I get the occaisonal tap when driving but youve gone for the same system as me expect youve got a big 3.2 in there! the exhaust is a nice sound btw.

looks like they have changed the design from when i bought mine years ago, the first silencer on mine was a lot longer and narrower than that.

Compliments about the exhaust!! Post a video of the sound if your finished please!

The sound will change over time, it will get (even) better.

Somthing else:

I got a question; are you still using the oiltemp - oilpressure sensor setup as on this picture?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]50395[/ATTACH]

To get a better oil temperature reading you could switch the pressure sensor and the temp sensor.

Now the sensor sits on the end of a nice cooling blok (T-piece) and gives you a wrong temperature reading.

It could be more then you think. I know the R32 doesnt have a temp sensor on the filter housing (only in the sump for service interval calculation), but you'll get the best temp reading where the pressure sensor sits right now.