Sign in to follow this  
quicky1980

R32 and other 24v swapped corrado's fuel consumption

I know that putting a larger engine into the corrade was going to possibly increase my average fuel consuption but just wondered what others think and have found out.

I'm not too bothered as the oomph from the bigger engine makes up for the poor mpg but I wasn't sure if my 25mpg (combined) was on the low side. I did have a fuel leak up until recently which I think I have resolved but havent since calculated the MPG. I would have hoped that the r32 runs more efficiently the the 2.9 :shrug: I was I just nieve?

One thought comes to mind, if mine does have lower than average fuel consumption, maybe I have wired up the lambda's the wrong way around.

Daily I do a 7mile trip to work on dual carriage ways, then same again back so might be on the cold run engine map. But I'm sure the VR was about 29mpg and that was a very tired engine. Used to average around 290-320 miles per tank, now Im lucky to hit 280 iirc.

What are you guys getting with a similar engine swap?

Yep mine DRINKS the fuel mate so you're not alone there, I also thought there might be something wrong with mine but after speaking with other R32 owners etc it's just a thirsty engine :(

25 is probs better than I'm getting I reckon I only get low 20's, but then I'm always giving it some :lol:

You can have a more modern engine design, etc etc.. but you still ultimately have jumped from 190BHP to an engine putting out nearer 260/270BHP. I wouldn't exactly expect fuel economy to increase :)

Well I've only got the lowly 2.8 24v conversion, not like you R32 boys!...... so not sure this is any help but I'm getting about 33mpg on a long run at 75-80mph and averaging 29-30mpg over a whole tank. I'm averaging 375 miles between fills with a mix of motorway and spirited B road driving.

My VRT averages 27 mpg :lol:

What kind of mpgs do cars like BMW 330Ci, Merc CLK 320, Alfa 147 GTA etc etc return?

Mid to high 20s is about right for a 3ltr plus 6 cyl petrol motor I'd say :shrug:

mine averages more i would of thought, the roads are too busy to boot it on the way to and from work so i reckon im getting 30mpg

different story if i drive it any other time mind :lol:

I NEVER drive mine conservatively though really unless I'm on a run and even then I don't sit at 70! I rarely do runs though, my daily journey is busy town, then depending on how gay the traffic is being either a very fast blast down a dual carriageway or sitting in stop start traffic for a long time down a dual carriageway, then busy town again.

I reckon I'm only getting ~20mpg most days I used to get high 20's even 30mpg out of the VR (standard) and I'm definitely filling up a lot more often now with the R32. But I'm not really complaining, I don't see the point in having a fast car to then complain about how much fuel it's using you have to expect it really :shrug: If mine needs fuel I fill it up :lol:

My old one would be about 300miles to a tank with mixture of driving. I did get all the way back from Stealth on onw tank which is roughly 400miles @80mph.

Current one is 240-250 miles to a tank.

Last time i drove mine from Birmingham down to Dover two times and I did 370-380 miles on a full tank. Big thanks to a longer 5th gear?

I havent worked out my mpg yet but i am getting between 175 and 200 miles from £50 fuel......i dnt drive it easy tho.....but have gt a slight blow on my exhaust.

Plus mines is mapped and i onli use vpower @ £1.20/ litre....so not tooo bad i think.

I havent worked out my mpg yet but i am getting between 175 and 200 miles from £50 fuel......i dnt drive it easy tho.....but have gt a slight blow on my exhaust.

Plus mines is mapped and i onli use vpower @ £1.20/ litre....so not tooo bad i think.

Similar figures to mine really and mines also mapped to just under 280bhp and I only use V-Power which is £1.23/litre.

its all about momentum though :p

me and my mate both sware we get more miles with the 99RON rather than the 97RON, and its cheaper to

mine averages more i would of thought, the roads are too busy to boot it on the way to and from work so i reckon im getting 30mpg

different story if i drive it any other time mind :lol:

That average does include some boosting action to and from work every day :D

But as with any petrol engine, the smaller the throttle opening, the less fuel it uses!

That average does include some boosting action to and from work every day :D

But as with any petrol engine, the smaller the throttle opening, the less fuel it uses!

Easier said than done though in an R32 conversion with it's over sensitive throttle!

i want your mpg and bhp.

Ive got a valver and i get like 11 mpg... with a bit of a boot, ahaha.

Definatly not at grannys rate but.. when i chill im getting maximum like low 20s

Ive got it to 9 mpgs when i give it some....

Think yourself lucky.

Slow and rapes me on fuel.

Ive got a valver and i get like 11 mpg... with a bit of a boot, ahaha.

Definatly not at grannys rate but.. when i chill im getting maximum like low 20s

Ive got it to 9 mpgs when i give it some....

Think yourself lucky.

Slow and rapes me on fuel.

You must have a problem then mate i get 34mpg general in my 1.8 valver and i managed 44mpg on a run to Brum and back from Maidstone last weekend trying to sit at 60 in practice for driving to my new job in Nov. At the moment i reckon it'll cost me £125 a month on fuel which is a bugger!!

its all about momentum though :p

me and my mate both sware we get more miles with the 99RON rather than the 97RON, and its cheaper to

you should do - its a more efficient burn. Theres a misconception that cheaper fuel saves you money - it actually works out about the same from the increased unit price versus the better burn characteristics of the higher RON fuel.

I always assumed that the R32 would be worse on fuel but the 4mo engine wouldn't be that far off a VR6 or even better due to the fact it has low down torque so less need to plant your foot in the low down range but it sounds like the mpg is quite bad. I do about 14 miles to and from work and I get 360 miles to £60, mfa says im getting 35mpg so im actually pretty dam impressed now :D

Ignoring all the technical aspects and looked at very simply

Based on the r32 being 250bhp and the vr being 190bhp, thats a difference of roughly 31%. So if I used to get 30mpg in the vr then that should calculate to about 22mpg. I get an average 25mpg (as calculated on my very useful android app "acar"),

R32 = 78.125 bhp/engine capacity (l) , 10 bhp/mpg

VR = 65.5 bhp/engine capacity (l), 6.33 bhp/mpg