Sign in to follow this  
badgerman

Carbon Fibre Stuff - 3d scanning Updated 23/01/11

Hi all, as the title suggests this is a bit of a feeler.

I have a spoiler left over from a 16v I broke over the past year. I don't see that anyone will want this part as it is not really a part that fails (correct me if I am wrong).

With this in mind, I was wondering if anyone would be interested in a lightweight moulded carbon fiber version?

If answer to question 1 is yes - what money would you want to pay for it (so I can price materials and see if it is achievable)

It has also been suggested (cheers davidwort!) that a slightly bigger but OEM looking design could be crafted. What are thoughts on this?

Mods - it this is an inappropriate place for this kind of thread feel free to move it.

Edit - changed it to spoiler cheers jim for pointing that out!!

Cheers,

Chris

Yes, but they'd have to be the wider vr6 version, and with the arches flared losing the flat edge too. I have 2 wing already like this if you need to take molds.

Are you undertaking this work yourself?

Ah, thats interesting. I wasn't aware of variation between the models.

Yeh, I'll probably do it myself with assistance from one of the guys from work.

I think you're talking about the spoiler badgerman and I think you're talking about the front wings Paul... I don't think there is a difference in versions on the spoiler between early and late cars! :)

would be interested in FG or CF wings, full carbon fibre bonnet and cf or fg boot. Not fussed about the spoiler as I think this is already pretty light.

let us know rough prices and maybe we can firm numbers of those interested, ta

got a rough idea of how much your looking to punt these out at? i know of a few places that have made these already...

Not really, I asked my mate who does a fair bit of moulding (drift kits etc) and he said he wouldn't want to do it for less than £150. I think he's exaggerating a fair bit and probably thinks he should charge £40 an hour to do the work.

The reason I did this thread was to find a price and then work back to see its feasibility. It may not be possible to achieve a competitive price compared to retailer products but I have one advantage - my margin can be want I want it to be. It is how I approach my freelance work - assume my free time is worth nothing. What else would I be doing - sat on the corrado forum probably!

Sorry to put it back out there but there is method to my madness . . . . .

Holy Sh**! Its all about the wings!

I will talk to my mate that already moulds jap bits and see what his thoughts are on the wing front.

got a rough idea of how much your looking to punt these out at? i know of a few places that have made these already...

Not really, I asked my mate who does a fair bit of moulding (drift kits etc) and he said he wouldn't want to do it for less than £150. I think he's exaggerating a fair bit and probably thinks he should charge £40 an hour to do the work.

The reason I did this thread was to find a price and then work back to see its feasibility. It may not be possible to achieve a competitive price compared to retailer products but I have one advantage - my margin can be want I want it to be. It is how I approach my freelance work - assume my free time is worth nothing. What else would I be doing - sat on the corrado forum probably!

Sorry to put it back out there but there is method to my madness . . . . .

i understand what you are saying, at £150 id rather buy one from performance trim tbh...

Totally agree. £150 is way out - but like I said, he's not got the same mentality as me when it comes to stuff like this.

So say £75? does that make it an offer too good to refuse? - we're on spoilers now peopes, I will get back to you tomorrow on carbon body panels!

£75 for a carbon spoiler sounds good value tbh but im personally not interested unless theres some variation in design from the oem spoiler making it sexier!

Cool, I'm a designer by trade so stuff like that is kinda my thing ;)

I personally really want a 70mm splitter, not in carbon as it will hit the floor and i will cry but i noticed there's a group buy on Vortex for em... Sounds like a nice balance between the big chin, hit everything 90mm and the tiny 50mm lol.

Ha ha, brilliant, we have a 3 way mis understanding!

OK - I originally meant a carbon spoiler (the up and downy auto-spoiler)

Having described it as a 'wing' I then got interest for front wings (panels)

Now you have the the wrong end of the carbon stick as you are thinking splitter!!

Pretty funny - but it shows that if I can make a carbon Corrado I will be minted.

Ha ha, brilliant, we have a 3 way mis understanding!

OK - I originally meant a carbon spoiler (the up and downy auto-spoiler)

Having described it as a 'wing' I then got interest for front wings (panels)

Now you have the the wrong end of the carbon stick as you are thinking splitter!!

Pretty funny - but it shows that if I can make a carbon Corrado I will be minted.

Oh no, i know you were talking about the rear spoiler, i just thought i'd throw a custom 70mm front splitter into the mix!

lol! Brilliant - I need to get on this carbon thing!

I just had a little chat then with my moulding geezer and he gave me a ball park calculation for carbon fiber front wings and came up with a figure of £300 for a pair. He wants to do a proper calculation on material usage but that is the number that came from a quick calc.

There is always an opportunity to do a carbon - glass mix lowering the material cost and still lightening the component.

What I might suggest to him is doing some tester parts to establish their comparative weight to steel panels. GRP panels are often a bit of a farce as they are often the same weight as the standard component. In the case of the drift kits this guy makes they only want a disposable skirts that are inexpensive and replaceable. I guess the good thing about this potential setup is that they can be tailored to your requirements.

If you can do a carbon rear spoiler at £75, I'll be all over one at that price please! But will be impressed if you can do them at that price...

If you can do a carbon rear spoiler at £75, I'll be all over one at that price please! But will be impressed if you can do them at that price...

Same here too :)

I'd be up for a spoiler at £75. Would it be an OEM design or could it be a slightly longer pronounced tip to it?

Both of the ideas you guys are talking about are being done by spoonfedtuning in the states. The rear spoiler:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.p ... Wing/page7

The front lip:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.p ... ..../page6

Thats the front lip i was on about, i think its about $300 though, F*CK THAT!

I'd be up for a spoiler at £75. Would it be an OEM design or could it be a slightly longer pronounced tip to it?

A slightly longer pointy tip would be sexy! 8)