Sign in to follow this  
g60greeny

v6 4mo or an s3?

with the g60 going on sunday,i cant decide what to get?

im lookin at either a v6 4motion or an s3,both would leave me enough money to do what i need to do :)

so whats the verdict?

Surely both of those cars will not only cost more to buy than a Corrado, but cost more to run as well? Remind me why you sold the G60 again?!

Do you need back doors is a factor..

I guess it boils down to do you want a V6 or turbo, the car itself isnt much different...

Tricky choice, both have their merits.

The 1.8T engine is incredibly unrefined next to the V6 though, so the 4Mo would be my choice for that reason alone :D But it can dish out 260-270hp without much cost or effort.

Depends on your future goals. If you want big power, turbo the 24V. There's no replacement for displacement.

im sellin to free some money to sort out my personal life,sellin the g60 as allowed that but still leave me enough to get an half decent car,the runnin costs on the s3 will be about teh same as the g60 i reckon,as the tt i had wasnt much more to run :)

at the end of teh day i want to replace the rado something that will still bring me some pleasure,4motions are pretty cheap at the min,with s3's comin down in price as well :)

im still leanin towards the v6,as the biggest engined car ive owned was a cav gsi 2000 lol

V6 every time :wave:

how much you sell the G60 for? i thought you would need at least 3k for a decent V6 golf?

Have to say, having gone from a 2.0 16v to a VR6, the smoothness of the V6 and nice refined grunt it provides really is something else. It just feels like a far more grown up car than a 4 cylinder motor! You should definitely try and get a test drive / ride in each to see which suits you more :)

spotted a half decent golf an now a bora v6 for 2.5k :)

got someone tryin my schmidts on this week,so fingers crossed they will sell as well :)

nice motors the V6 4 motions, underrated in lots of ways IMO

trouble is they weigh as much as a Corrado VR6...

towing a polo :lol:

Refined power blah blah blah.......

All about the lairy kick that throws you into the back of your seat for me!

I've not driven an S3 but isnt the suspension more sporty than the 4mo?

I have a 5 door 4mo and love it. For what I wanted it is perfect... a family car which is a lovely smooth motorway cruiser. But the S3 is probably closer to the G60 experience.

I've not driven an S3 but isnt the suspension more sporty than the 4mo?

I have a 5 door 4mo and love it. For what I wanted it is perfect... a family car which is a lovely smooth motorway cruiser. But the S3 is probably closer to the G60 experience.

That sums it up. Ive had 2 4motions and 1 S3 and prefer the more door 4motion. Its practical, fairly quick, sounds good, 4wd is great and is understated. S3's are good cars though and more sporty. They both need decent suspension though and S3 needs a remap. 5dr high spec 4motion is the one Id go for. Not keen on the Bora's.

if you want a fast car straight away then get an s3, if you want a car that you can slowly make faster then buy a 4motion, see how much cash it would take to get an s3 beyond 400bhp, then see how much it would cost to get a 4motion past 400bhp.

first thing you wanna but for the 4motion is the haldex controller 8)

sooo u guys are voting 4 mo ?

Grab a test drive in both and see what you think. If this was the choice I'd get an S3. If you added in an R32 then I'd have that instead.

4mo for the money they cost. Theres a local one for sale, 5dr, 78kmiles, Indigo blue, remapped, Eibachs, R32 wheels, Milteck, Recaro leather 5dr in good nick for £3800ono. Very nice car and very tempting.

4mos are still alot cheaper than s3's at the min,ive sent a few pms about so will see what happens,i really want a 3dr though if i get the golf

my mapped s3 runs all over my mates 4 mo, so they will have more poke out the box and i prefere the looks of the s3 compared to the golf.....have a go in both if you can? as for running costs,compared to the raddo.....its cheap lol

What are the actual differences between a 4-MO and R32?

Is it just 0.4 litre engine capacity, bodykit, seats and brakes? Are there any major differences in the suspension/drivetrain between the two?

4mo versus MK4 R32 I take it?

Yeah different wishbones and hubs etc to restore the correct kingpin axis and roll centre from the reduced ride height.

Late 4Mo engines are very similar to the R32 engine. Both have VVT on exhaust and inlet and COPs. Early 4Mos have a VR6 coilpack and VVT on the intake only.

R32 engine also got a shallower and baffled sump and different exhaust manifolds, plus some other minor differences.

Interestingly, given how much more air the 4Mo flows than a 12V, it got a much smaller throttle bore than the 12V. VW were clearly doing everything to get the torque up on the 24V. Without all it's valve and intake trickery, it's even more gutless low down the 12V.