jedi-knight83

how to remove the heater fan assembly?

My heater fan is thing making most noise in my car now! i want to take it apart and see if it can be greased up of if not swaped for a new one.

How do i get to the fan though? does the dash board have to come off?

has anyone done this job before?

thanks

Remove the passenger side parcel shelf (about half a dozen screws).

You then should see the fan in the corner of the footwell. To remove it you just simply twist the fan off the assembly. From my experience greasing the fan up to get rid of a noise does not last too long. They start making noises if the bearings have worn out. Only real cure is to buy a new fan - about £40 from ECP.

HTH

Cheers

Mark

dead easy...

Take off the passenger side loewer dash tray and you can see it behind some plastic/rubber insulation stuff.

To take the fan out, there's a tab that needs to be persuaded over a lump, and the fan just turns about 20degrees and drops out of the ductwork. There's also an electrical connector on the side of it that you need to remove.

If it's squeeking, the odds are the bearings are shot and you'll need a new fan. They're not that expensive (GSF and Euro both do 'em) and they're the same as one from a MKII golf. DO NOT throw away the elecrical connector off the fan though! That's the resistor pack and is corrado only! It's also stupidly expensive to replace! :|

Should take you about 45 mins to take out and put a new one in. 8)

Looks like a project I might be undertaking myself soon then.. fan on mine is a bit noisy too!!

I imagined dashboard removal to get anywhere near it so didn't even want to bother asking about it... so nice one jedi-knight :D

always pleased to be of service *bows*

we'll see if its as easy to do in real life as it sounds on the forum

one question...one the passenger side of the dash is off which side is the fan, how do you get the plastic / rubber housing off??

ok that was 2 questions.

ah i did 'save target as' and i have it now

dont know what was wrong before...thanks though

You'll have a naff install of Acrobat then... :roll: It's a common one that, so don't worry about it... 8)

naff install on my home pc, my laptop and my work pc???? :?

im thinking naff file.

no matter i have been able to open it now and it turns out it doesnt actually show me what i need :roll:

cheers though

naff install on my home pc, my laptop and my work pc???? :?

im thinking naff file.

no matter i have been able to open it now and it turns out it doesnt actually show me what i need :roll:

cheers though

nope, just naff acrobat... :wink: It never integrates with IE very well... :roll:

I'll see if I can getcha a decent pic of how it all goes together when I get home tonight...8)

hey if we all just took some simple pics and wrote some basic instructions whenever we did a job / mod on the corrado we could put together a little 'haynes' type manual...i have seen a few threads of 'how to do this and that' could we have a proper section for instuctions on servicing and mods and repairs??

I'm pretty sure Kev's doing this all on his own! ;) :lol:

I've already started to do this with the jobs I'm doing these days... I just need to publish them! :roll: :oops:

I'm pretty sure Kev's doing this all on his own! ;) :lol:

I've already started to do this with the jobs I'm doing these days... I just need to publish them! :roll: :oops:

LOL, if I did a manual it would be about 3 foot thick, but would be free of Haynes like comments like these: "Simply slacken the hub nut....." Yeah, what about little details like a 6 foot pole and chocking the front wheels??

"Refitting is reverse of removal.."

Yeah right, not when it comes to gearboxes! Taking them apart is the easy bit!

K

I'm happy to say that I've never opened a gearbox... and I intend to keep it that way! ;) :lol:

Taking most things apart is the easy bit.. trying to remember where it all went is the bit I tend to have problems with... :oops: ;) :lol: That's why I've started using my digi-cam on most of the jobs I do, so I can see what it's supposed to look like as I put it back together! ;)

On 2/16/2004 at 2:22 PM, Henny said:

I've uploaded it again... 😎

Little late to the party 🙂
I need to swap out my blower as a result of a few issues.....

If that PDF is still available please let me know 🙂

- passenger side parcel shelf off

- fan unit is visible at the far left end of the ducting to the heater matrix

- unplug power loom to fan unit

- remove casing by twisting and remove fan unit

- insert new fan unit etc.

It's been a while since I've done it, but it should be reasonably easy tbh.

Edited by fendervg

There is also a plastic locating tab on the fan you have to lift to enable the old unit to twist out of it seating position. 

3 hours ago, fendervg said:

- passenger side parcel shelf off

- fan unit is visible at the far left end of the ducting to the heater matrix

- unplug power loom to fan unit

- remove casing by twisting and remove fan unit

- insert new fan unit etc.

It's been a while since I've done it, but it should be reasonably easy tbh.

Perfect!!

Parcel shelf is just 6 bolts I've heard.
Will the side panel in the footwell need to be removed to access any bolts for the shelf?