badgerman

Leather Trimmed centre tunnel / pillar trims - now in cream!

Following the sale of a couple of sets of pillar trims I was asked by a couple of people if I could trim the center tunnel bits. So, I had a go the other night to see how difficult it was. Although it was more tricky than the pillar trims I managed it and here are the results.

I am going to fit them this weekend to see if there are any unforeseen problems with the added thickness of leather on the parts that join/overlap. If all goes well I will post more pics and then sell them. Of course then I can trim them and the pillar trims sets to order.

th_PAn.jpg

th_100_1553.jpg

th_100_1560.jpg

th_100_1559.jpg

How much are we talking my friend if i supply the leather in the colour i want? Or maybe you can supply different colours?

Discount if we buy the pillar trims too? What else can you do? This is interesting stuff!

How much are we talking my friend if i supply the leather in the colour i want? Or maybe you can supply different colours?

Discount if we buy the pillar trims too? What else can you do? This is interesting stuff!

I was thinking £150 and a tenner postage for these. I have guesstimated this price by adding the material cost (which is currently very favourable), the time to do them (at minimum wage as I am not pretending to be a professional) and the price for the parts originally (I have approximated this as I don't know how much I can buy them for).

If you want your own colour then I will need to buy a cow hide specifically instead of using what is available to me. I currently make use of material stock that is left over from contract furniture manufacture. It isn't free - but its cheaper, which is why my prices actually reflect time more than anything. If you wanted a specific colour I would encourage pillars and tunnel jobby bundle as it will use the hide up instead of me having to buy a hide and leave half of it (especially if you want purple or some other out there colour!). Not doing this would leave me no choice but to load the price slightly to absorb the cost of the hide.

You could supply the leather - but I would be reluctant to take the work on without a sample as it may not be suitable for the job. The stuff I use is a nice as it is soft enough to manipulate but not really thin like some shit leathers. The price probably wouldn't drop massively because as I mentioned above, most of the price is reflected in the time taken to do the job. Its negotiable I guess ;)

I would probably knock off postage if you had a bundle which amounts to £25-30 so I would consider doing it for £300 (£150 for each set) I have done the pillar trims for less in the past - but thats cos I wanted to get shot of them. In future I won't trim parts without an order.

These are all totally ball park figures and there is also an opportunity to reduce costs further if you supply your own parts to trim. I can't stress enough that I am a hobbyist and by no means professional . All I can say is that I have high standards for anything I put my name to.

I also trim steering wheels. . . .

th_100_1461.jpg

th_100_1452.jpg

th_100_1457.jpg

good work chris, getting good with that sewing machine. i think there may be serious interest if you can re trim late vr steering wheels, as almost all of them are worn out on top, if you can match the grade and type of leather originally used from factory at a reasonable price , them im sure many ppl and myself would be interested.

p.s do you still have the 16v fuel pump and accumulator, injectors or any of the fuel system left, cheers alex

good work chris, getting good with that sewing machine. i think there may be serious interest if you can re trim late vr steering wheels, as almost all of them are worn out on top, if you can match the grade and type of leather originally used from factory at a reasonable price , them im sure many ppl and myself would be interested.

p.s do you still have the 16v fuel pump and accumulator, injectors or any of the fuel system left, cheers alex

I am going to try my hand at some late spec wheels soon (if I can get one). Each trim is different and it takes a couple of goes to get it right so I would never commit to doing them without prior experience.

I don't have the pump and accumulator but I do have the injectors and the all the shizz engine side (bar the FPR). I'm back this weekend if you fancy a journey over.

Sounds good chap, i wouldn't be able to commit to this just yet but maybe in a few months. Ill speak to you about it in further detail closer to the time via pm.

Thanks!! Prices are good btw imo.

Cool mate, I always feel a bit funny when it comes to costing because at the end of the day it is still a fair wedge. Glad you like the trims and the price tho!

Very interested, :D

Can't keep away can ya!! tell you what, you can have first refusals if you like matey as you had my first set of pillar trims ;)

I like the sound of this...... Once my car is painted and I have robbed Barclays, I will be contacting you

Very interested, :D

Can't keep away can ya!! tell you what, you can have first refusals if you like matey as you had my first set of pillar trims ;)

I will have first refusal then :D

they will fit in mine as i have the flat rear bench

Ok, two minor set backs.

One, I knew there was 2 different types of back bench (with and without hump) but i didn't fully consider the effect this has on the tunnel. I left a bit untrimmed that I thought would be covered by the Hump, but alas there is no shortcut! I need to just work out a better way to trim the back bit behind the ashtray.

Secondly, for some reason my camera decided to be crap and stop taking good pics so apologies for the lack of clarity and limited number of shots!

Aside from that they went together well - a little snug in places but there is no avoiding multiple layers of leather on an edge. I might try and thin the material down with a scalpel at the edges to help the fit. I will give it another go on monday and post pics of my progress.

th_100_1574.jpg

th_100_1578.jpg

th_100_1579.jpg

Very interested in this buddy, especially you can do them in beige leather :) will supply all the trim too as the rado will be off the road for a while getting a nice new engine!

Moved to suppliers as this seems to be more about advertising them.

Yeah, sorry about that. It has sort of become one!

Very interested in this buddy, especially you can do them in beige leather :) will supply all the trim too as the rado will be off the road for a while getting a nice new engine!

yep likewise. I also have a steering wheel i want retrimmed, its an Isotta one, so not standard. Will drop you some pics if you wish, plus i ahve some leather offcuts which might help?

yep likewise. I also have a steering wheel i want retrimmed, its an Isotta one, so not standard. Will drop you some pics if you wish, plus i ahve some leather offcuts which might help?

do it mate. i'll see what i an do?

OMG, this is just the best service...

I figure, surely if i were to want a custom colour etc we could just re connolise the leather using a furniture clinic kit or something of that sort?

Nice work there bud :clap: I would be intrested in getting my steering wheel re trimmed at some point, but I would need to sause another wheel whilst mine is being re trimmed. Let me know what you think the cost would be and how long you would need the wheel for.

I like the look of the steering wheel on this page, how much all in do you charge for this kind of wheel as i have one on my mk2 golf and the leather on that could do with a refurb

I like the look of the steering wheel on this page, how much all in do you charge for this kind of wheel as i have one on my mk2 golf and the leather on that could do with a refurb

£60 posted for that wheel.

Nice work there bud :clap: I would be intrested in getting my steering wheel re trimmed at some point, but I would need to sause another wheel whilst mine is being re trimmed. Let me know what you think the cost would be and how long you would need the wheel for.

I do this work in the evenings so I would allow a week or so.

So, how does it work, do i send you a steering wheel and you do your magic on that wheel as i have 2 wheels (leather and stock non leather) , so thinking i can hold onto the leather one and send you the non leather.