Sign in to follow this  
Portent

VR6 chains mileage survey

I was thinking that it would be useful to get a survey going of what mileage people are on and whether their chains have been changed.

E.g.

Changed as a precaution due to mileage and rattle

Chain failure

Chains were not rattly before

Not changed, still no concerns

Just had mine done at 97k - apparently the guides were worn but not outrageously so. No noticeable noise but done anyway as they were 16 years old.

Mark

So few people ever have (or report) chain failure that I don't think you're going to get much from this thread. If you're after a recommendation as to when to check or change them it's been covered many many times already.

So few people ever have (or report) chain failure that I don't think you're going to get much from this thread. If you're after a recommendation as to when to check or change them it's been covered many many times already.

Not after a recommendation as I can see they need changing anywhere from 80k to 180k and will vary wildly with how the car has been treated. Was just interested in it and couldn't see the info in one place. Thought it would be useful for new buyers as it would show how wildly it can differ on each car.

Had a broken spring in the gear box so when the car was in bits to resolve that I had the chains done to take advantage of the fact it was in bits. This was at about 73000. There was wear on the guides I think. My good friends at DG provided me with this service.

106K - no noise, no worries.

ostrich_head_in_sand.jpg

:lol:

Sorry, couldn't resist. No noise does not mean no worries I'm afraid :wink:

Had mine changed at 73K because the upper pad was starting to wear through.

The upper plastic change guide was also snapped.

Bang on 100 000 miles I had low compression on cylinders 3 and 6 so had the chains ect done at the same time. They were fine but while the engines out .........

Mine changed at 125K, no noises, but when changed discovered I had a lucky break, as were likely to go at any time, on their last legs.

Car not driven hard in an abuse way - just fast - occassionaly !! :lol:

comes up all the time on here.

i'm on 194k and nothing been replaced on the engine, i think i've got the point where i think if something did happen i wouldn't be too upset at having to replace the whole engine anyway

i'd hate to spend the time/money doing my chains, only for something else to break internally a few months later due to the mileage

i'm on 194k and nothing been replaced on the engine, i think i've got the point where i think if something did happen i wouldn't be too upset at having to replace the whole engine anyway

i'd hate to spend the time/money doing my chains, only for something else to break internally a few months later due to the mileage

Exactly, I'm on 148K, original chains/tensioners, no problems yet. I know one day (possibly this winter) I'll be swapping the block for something that doesn't cause cylinders 1 and 6 to oil up (i.e. 2.8 VR6 block). Will probably put a new set of chains/tensioners on then. I've reasonable confidence the car would carry on as is quite happily for another 100k+, I'd just like to get it running a little smoother, more like new, there's nothing like a refurbed/rebuilt engine and its the only bit of the car I've hardly touched in 7 years. My tensioner pad was worn 60k miles ago when I got the car btw. It doen't mean its going to fail catastrophically.

106k - some wear & damage

done as head gasket needed changing and whilst at it chains got done too

mine were done at 106k miles...as well documented in my car's "for sale" thread.

the chain guard had wear and some bits had broken off...hence we took the sump off and cleaned it out when the chains were done...

now at nearly 109k (driven daily in the cold weather) and it purrs like a kitten...

thx Lars

Nice pics Dave. Should I recognise one of those?

I don't think it's the mileage that is the pointer to when the guides need replacing but the general care and attention given to the engine over the years. No oil changes and ragging the thing from cold is not going to do any of the internals any good.

Getting a good feel for the care the car has been given is your best guide. Lots of history and few owners.

mine were done at 106k miles...as well documented in my car's "for sale" thread.

the chain guard had wear and some bits had broken off...hence we took the sump off and cleaned it out when the chains were done...

now at nearly 109k (driven daily in the cold weather) and it purrs like a kitten...

thx Lars

Got to say yours was the nicest sounding and 'feeling' engine of all the cars I've driven. Oh, and that colour :luvlove:

thx Lars

Got to say yours was the nicest sounding and 'feeling' engine of all the cars I've driven. Oh, and that colour :luvlove:

you know its yours if you want it...... :D

106K - no noise, no worries.

ostrich_head_in_sand.jpg

:lol:

Sorry, couldn't resist. No noise does not mean no worries I'm afraid :wink:

Had mine changed at 73K because the upper pad was starting to wear through.

The upper plastic change guide was also snapped.

Ach! Kev, I've seen you talking about this before. You have to remember when you are 65, with a longer overview, things take on a different perspective! Obsessions get tuned more than cars. :lol:

If the engine destroys itself the next time I take it out, you will be able to say "I told you so!". However, it does not worry me as much as it certainly would have years ago.

We'll be down to our last car then - the 2009 Yaris. :pale: :lol:

Frankly, I would rather run the small risk (evidence shows it IS small) of a catastrophic failure than be ripped off for £££££££ bill for parts and labour to have the chains done - and all the other stuff advised for at the same time. Probably come to more than the car is worth nowadays.

So, I am nearly always in agreement with your meticulous attention to detail and the ideal way for things to be attended to, but based on risk, as well as less frequent and less robust use of the car by me compared with yourself, my decision has to be that I leave the thing alone just now.

PS - If you are still a smoker, by the way, you are clearly putting vital organs and your wallet at more risk than anyone neglecting to change the chains on a regularly maintained and unabused VR6. :wink: Think about it. It is a personal choice. After what I consider to be sound judgement I chose to give up smoking ('seasy - I did it loads of times :grin: ) and not to spend up to £2K on replacing the chains, etc. on my 15-year old gas guzzler, which will be taxed off the road in your lifetime, if not mine. Anyway, I have plenty of time to dismantle, package and sell Corrado storm bits on ebay if the worst comes to the worst! Remember, keep looking for the silver lining.

That's fair enough :D

I don't smoke any more, thanks for looking out for my health :D I barely drink any more either and I eat 98 of my 5 a day too :D

Nice pics Dave. Should I recognise one of those?

I don't think it's the mileage that is the pointer to when the guides need replacing but the general care and attention given to the engine over the years. No oil changes and ragging the thing from cold is not going to do any of the internals any good.

Getting a good feel for the care the car has been given is your best guide. Lots of history and few owners.

I'm fairly sure I do. I think your right with the condition thing too. I drop the oil every 5k, for the time it takes and the cost I dont mind doing it once a year inbetween a proper service..