Sign in to follow this  
Kevin Bacon

DG Autotech VR6 cams

Im contemplating getting some installed next year but i have SP263's under my bed which do i get installed D&G's or 263's :scratch:

I would be really interested in hearing more about these and all the relevant performance details and data, pretty confident the DG guys will have researched it thoroughly and come up with another great product. A comparison with the stock and the benchmark performance upgrade SP263s would be very interesting.

A comparison with the stock and the benchmark performance upgrade SP263s would be very interesting.

Yeah that's what went through my mind when I saw them.

We need a current user of 263s on an otherwise standard engine to do some back to back comparisons :D

I'd certainly be up for a set of DGR cams if there's some worthwhile gains to be had over the SP263s 8)

A comparison with the stock and the benchmark performance upgrade SP263s would be very interesting.

Yeah that's what went through my mind when I saw them.

We need a current user of 263s on an otherwise standard engine to do some back to back comparisons :D

really need to rolling road the cars before and after to see overall figures, thinking about these myself but not a cheap upgrade when factoring in fitment and remap for only 25bhp gain..

Some of these have been in constant use on a Regular DG customers VR for some time now and has reported excellent results but i'm sure Graham or Dave will add much more info if you require it :)

Makes me want another VR to add all these bits to Lol!

Some of these have been in constant use on a Regular DG customers VR for some time now and has reported excellent results but i'm sure Graham or Dave will add much more info if you require it :)

Don't know if Kip's referring to me but I have the very great privilege of being among the first to have these fitted at DG Towers. They went in as part of a head rebuild (it was going in anyway but then we found why it was I'd been losing small amounts of coolant!) and Dave and Graham are just finishing up tweaking the map etc.

Expecting to go pick her up any day now and am like a kid waiting for Christmas. Jim was there on Saturday while the car did its initial roadtests. He was very complimentary about how it sounded and Dave was very pleased indeed on the 'phone to me about how it went with the new cams in.

Roll on the next couple of days! :clap: I'll let you know what it's like to drive but given that the remapping of the ECU with an otherwise stock engine was startlingly good, the combination of a rebuilt head and another map to suit the cams should be superb.

Don't know if Kip's referring to me but I have the very great privilege of being among the first to have these fitted at DG Towers. They went in as part of a head rebuild (it was going in anyway but then we found why it was I'd been losing small amounts of coolant!) and Dave and Graham are just finishing up tweaking the map etc.

Expecting to go pick her up any day now and am like a kid waiting for Christmas. Jim was there on Saturday while the car did its initial roadtests. He was very complimentary about how it sounded and Dave was very pleased indeed on the 'phone to me about how it went with the new cams in.

Roll on the next couple of days! :clap: I'll let you know what it's like to drive but given that the remapping of the ECU with an otherwise stock engine was startlingly good, the combination of a rebuilt head and another map to suit the cams should be superb.

thats great and all but will you actually know actual figures and not just that it feels quicker/more responsive...? same goes for the remapping; i`d like to see how the graphs compare..?

thats great and all but will you actually know actual figures and not just that it feels quicker/more responsive...? same goes for the remapping; i`d like to see how the graphs compare..?[/quote:105c0z7c]

Can't give you any data for the map alone I'm afraid, although I'm sure Dave and Graham might well be cooking something up there.

However, as for the cams, mine is either going to be or has already been rolling roaded by D&G and compared with the output of a stock VR on the same rolling road. Mine is utterly stock engine wise apart from the map and the cams. Will be happy to show you the data that this generates.

H.T.H.

Ed.

Great stuff, looking forward to the results..

That makes two of us!

That said, although I did quiz the terrific twosome over roughly what bhp gains the cams would be likely to give, I was very much of a similar mind to them that it's not really about the stats (and as Graham pointed out, no two rolling roads ever show quite the same results) but what it does to the drive. I understand that you'd want to see some kind of evidence for the gains that the cams are sold on but I have total faith in Dave and Graham to have produced a product that will give silky smooth gains in driving refinement and pleasure, as well as a bit more quantifiable kick. Ultimately this was a perfectly timed DG development for me, as OEM+ has always been my intention; I want to drive a Corrado that is spec'd as VW would have it if they were building it now.

Now for the pleasure of driving it! Will stick up a review when I do.

For accurate and meaningful testing, the 2 cams need to be tested on the same car, using the same dyno, on the same day and with the same dyno operator! You would also need an independant adjudicator to oversee and witness the changes and dyno runs. That will near as dammit remove any testing error!

Unfortunately such a test is cost prohibitive, so it's unlikely we will ever see a back to back comparison.

Sellers of performance mods kind of rely on that :wink: Nearly all mods are a leap of faith.

Realistically, there is unlikely to be much of a power gain over the SP263s, if anything, but they will be every bit as smooth and tractable I'm sure. There are only so many midrange profiles that tick all the boxes. Of course, I'm happy to be proven wrong though and i'm always keen to try new engine parts!

Had a chat with Dave several weeks ago about these and from memory the power was almost identical to the 263's but smoothness was much more improved.

I dont think they'd bother doing them if there wasn't a significant improvement. :norty:

I have the DG cams ordered and am due to get them fitted soon - weather permitting. I'll update you all with figures, feelings etc when it's done.

We havent got any figures as yet so any numbers are speculation...

Honestly we think 25bhp would be the high end of any gains you would get, and depends on engine mileage and condition etc...so if your engines done 140k+ without a head rebuild etc its not going to gain as much.

Welcome to the world of NA VR6 tuning :lol:

We'll get some figures up soon :D

What's involved with this, is it just of swapping the cams and a re-map, or do you change cam followers and a few other things ?

Had a chat with Dave several weeks ago about these and from memory the power was almost identical to the 263's but smoothness was much more improved.

I dont think they'd bother doing them if there wasn't a significant improvement. :norty:

Interesting :norty:

What's involved with this, is it just of swapping the cams and a re-map, or do you change cam followers and a few other things ?

Yep - just swap the cams and a remap. If you've got noisy followers though, it's as good a time as any to change them :)

Yep - just swap the cams and a remap. If you've got noisy followers though, it's as good a time as any to change them :)

Anything else advisable at the same time??

I would love to this come late spring time...

I'm assuming a well ported head would compliment them too?

Anything else advisable at the same time??

I would love to this come late spring time...

I'm assuming a well ported head would compliment them too?

I'd imagine so. While not having it ported per se, my VR's head has been being skimmed back due to head gasket failure, warping etc. Over the 'phone I discussed with Dave and Graham that this can only help the end results of the cams going in, as it's all adding up to better efficiency and kick in the engine.

Now granted, I should see a particularly noticeable improvement, given that with a failing head gasket, my compression was down and I wouldn't have been putting out the stock 190 bhp, torque etc. That said, none of Dave, Graham or I had noticed that the car was going any less well than one would expect, which is some testament to how well built the VR lump is; it goes like a train even when slightly knackered. I had the chat with Dave and Graham when the head was in bits about whether to do anything else while they were in there; they inspected the tensioner and found it's got some life left in it. Given that and the fact that the clutch is still good, we left it as head rebuilt and cams only. But then that's just my motor: everyone's is different and I'm sure that Dave and Graham, sensible chaps that they are, would say that they'd want to have a good look around if yours went in and let you know what does or doesn't need doing. Ultimately, that's what they do: give you an accurate and fair appraisal of what state your motor's in.

Cut a long story short: my head's now rebuilt, with Mk 4 parts which give slightly better compression than stock, all to compliment the new cams. Any day now I should be driving it; hopefully with SLIGHTLY milder weather coming, I might just be able to find a road on which to give it some beans and then let you know!

:shades:

You're telling me! I must be one of their steadiest customers, and I'll tell you what, every penny has been money well spent. As much as the quality and excellence of the work, it's the friendliness of the reception eg good humour and bacon butties. :camp: but true.

Still can't believe the dumb luck of having the only place I'd ever want to take my Corrado be right on my doorstep.

:notworthy: