joebloggsVR69

Top Gear

Was good to see Tiff on Top Gear again :)

That bike that was racing the Atom is what is currently sitting in my garage - the S1000RR 8)

..and you can't ride it as it's your Dads..

Did love the way the damn bike kept popping wheelies everytime he fed the power in, I seem to recall that the bikes gyros etc kick in and stop it going all the way over.

Not a bad start, a little less forced than the last series, also good to see a car in normal peoples budget being tested.

The bike has traction control but I dont think they have an anti-flip system. If they did I would be straight out there and buying one and giving it the beans all the time.

Not the best show really, but I loved the Darwinesque 911 time line. Some real old classics there.

Can't stand that John Bishop bloke, had to turn it over at that point.

I can't believe the Atom costs £150K! Personally I'd buy the £36K one and turbo the Honda motor to 500hp and get the same effect. The V8 one didn't even sound like a proper V8. It's one of those god awful, tinny sounding flat plane jobs....yuk.

Apparently the V8 is two Hayabusa engines welded together.. hence the rather motorbike-esque scream from it, rather than the traditional V8 thrum!

Yip! IIRC, Aerial designed and made the crankcase and plonked Hayabusa heads onto it. Quite popular using bike heads on small motors, such as Yamaha R1 heads on old Mini engines :D

All credit to them for that but gimme an old ground shaking cross plane V8 any day of the week :D

The bike has traction control but I dont think they have an anti-flip system. If they did I would be straight out there and buying one and giving it the beans all the time.

He had the TC off which you need to take the seat off to get to the switch IIRC - with it on you can't wheelie - there is a feature that prevents it lifting the front wheel off...

Clever stuff. Does the bike have DBW throttles? I would imagine to prevent lift, the output from the Gyro backs off the power by either closing the throttles slightly, or retarding the ignition / fuel cut?

To prevent lift mechanically would require all manner of clever stuff!

Clever stuff. Does the bike have DBW throttles? I would imagine to prevent lift, the output from the Gyro backs off the power by either closing the throttles slightly, or retarding the ignition / fuel cut?

To prevent lift mechanically would require all manner of clever stuff!

Yes it does.

It has all sorts of clever electronics on it to stop you for from over doing it and it spitting you out as the end result.

Mostly it comes down to a pre-set option like wet, dry or track but IIRC the gyros etc control the power delivery depending on grip, throttle request and angle of the bike.

The options also tweak the throttle range of movement, wet will only give you a smaller amount of power over a big twist of the throttle and the track gives you all of it for not alot of twist.

Cool! Who'd have thunk bikes would get so clever? Many of them still run on carbs :D

I'm not normally a fan of nanny state driver aids, but DBW really has opened up so many useful features. It and it's brigade of sensors react waaaaaaaaay faster than any human response and the potential danger has already been removed before the driver realises he even was in danger.....

Very few if any new bikes run carbs, its all FI now. DBW throttles would scare me on a bike if Im honest. I really like the idea of ABS on a bike but I think with traction control its taking something away from learning to ride properly.

I did gulp at the cost of the Atom but then look at the cost of the cars its faster than.

Yip! IIRC, Aerial designed and made the crankcase and plonked Hayabusa heads onto it. Quite popular using bike heads on small motors, such as Yamaha R1 heads on old Mini engines :D

All credit to them for that but gimme an old ground shaking cross plane V8 any day of the week :D

When you consider that bike derived V8's are commercially available from around £14k, charging £150k for one (admittedly powerful) one in a £38k Atom does seem to be taking the piss a bit to me.

If you wanted a £150k trackday car you could buy a race ready Corvette C6R or Mosler for that kind of money. Seriously.

And no matter how quick the Atom is they're nowhere near as bonkers quick as one of those. Remember how quick that Aston Martin race car was around the TG track? Seem to recall it was 8 seconds quicker than the Atom.

Got a feeling I've already seen tonight's show, as Top Gear Australia showed it a few months ago. The upside down driving on the advert seems very familiar. Its a good episode however, the Aussies have a lot more banter than they do on their own version.

WTF are those idiots doing upside down on top of the car???!!!! :lol: :scratch: :shock: :lol:

So is the new Stig DEFINITELY Tiff? That overtake in those rally cars was.. absolutely mental!

So is the new Stig DEFINITELY Tiff? That overtake in those rally cars was.. absolutely mental!

I dont think it is Tiff he would be laughing his arse off while doing that overtake

Sorry guys, but this was actually filmed a few months ago so its more likely to be Ben Collins. I also preferred the Aussie version.

Anyone else amazed that Chris Evans can afford to spunk £12m on a Ferrari??! I know he's got some wedge but that's a lot of spare dollar to sink into a single motor!

Just accept it for what it is now, an entertainment show. Better than anything else on at the same time.

That's right. Like anybody was watching Dancing on Ice instead eh?

For me last night's highlight was that Transit Van.

That had to be staged.. I recognised the XJ220 alloys the second the thing rolled onto the screen and knew that it was probably an XJ220 chassis / drivetrain sitting under a transit body!