Sign in to follow this  
Stan 24v

Fecking quick cars!!!

Hopefully not a pea roast, but even if it is its still impressive!!!

Have a look at this video and see how quick some of the cars are:

!

Now, watch this one...............

Awesome!!!

blimey when you watch the F1 on telly you can never fully see how fast those cars are, but they make very very fast cars look bloody slow. 8)

Great vids. Until you see one of these things go full pelt round a corner you really have no idea what they can do. I dont watch F1 but I did go about 10years ago to Silverstone for the GP and I was simply astounded at the speed they went through the first corner. Probably the most impressive thing I have ever seen on 4 wheels by a long long way.

To echo Coullstar. I went to Silverstone mid 80's. Standing at club corner - I just couldn't comprehend the speed the F1 cars took it at. It was a 90 degree bend and the cars were like on rails! The downforce kept them glued to the track, when they should have slid off.

I have this theory as to why the newer circuits in F1 aren't liked as much by the public the older ones. Since safety is inevitably much higher priority than it was in the past, the run off areas are much larger and thus the cameras are all much further away from the cars than they are at Spa, or other older circuits. This means what you see are all really long shots and you don't get a proper perspective of speed. The long straights in China are a case in point. The cars are probably nibbling 200mph by the end of that, but watching on the TV you'd swear they were doing 80, tops.

That is amazing! You really can't comprehend how fast they are until you see a comparison like that!

I have this theory as to why the newer circuits in F1 aren't liked as much by the public the older ones. Since safety is inevitably much higher priority than it was in the past, the run off areas are much larger and thus the cameras are all much further away from the cars than they are at Spa, or other older circuits. This means what you see are all really long shots and you don't get a proper perspective of speed. The long straights in China are a case in point. The cars are probably nibbling 200mph by the end of that, but watching on the TV you'd swear they were doing 80, tops.

I'd agree with that. I went to the Monaco GP a couple of years ago & was sat right on the first corner. It's a relatively slow one but we were so close, you could feel the power of the cars! We also saw a couple of guys plough into the safety barriers...who doesn't like a crash or two!

There's one car on that first clip that seems a bit quicker than the others. Is it a Radical or something similar? 55 seconds in.

I heard a rumour that small capacity turbo engines are coming back to F1?

I'm not sure they will be the same 1000hp / litre spec from the 80s, but probably around the same power they are now, 800ish ponies.

They certainly are Kev:

F1 ENGINE RULES FROM 2013

1.6-litre, four-cylinder turbos with energy recovery and fuel restrictions to replace current 2.4-litre normally aspirated V8s

Fuel efficiency to increase by a target of 50%

Overall power to remain same at approx 750bhp

Checks and balances to ensure costs are contained and performance across all engines remains comparable

Plan for advanced 'compound' turbos to be introduced in subsequent years

Power of Kers energy recovery systems to increase from 60kw in 2011 to 120kw in 2013

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsp ... 255871.stm

Bit of a silly idea to save costs... Force all the f1 engine manufacturers to spend millions to develop i4 turbo's. Ferrari are leading the brigade against the fia iirc.

New rules are strangling motorsport, look at the old btcc days, mini's, volvo's, etc.

Making the same 750hp with 50% less fuel is going to be a challenge!

Agreed on the silly FIA rules etc. What with the Ferrari shadiness and the corruption at FIFA's top level, sport isn't sport any more. It's just a business and they won't be happy until it gets to the stage where no one watches it any more.