Sign in to follow this  
Stan 24v

Pug 205 GTi

Well Ive done 180 on a bike before so a car is like scaffolding to me....all done in Germany of course.

Oh, yeah? - We believe you.

You wouldnt be one of those bikers who always passes me at about 120 - when I'm doing 60-70 on the Crianlarich to Glencoe stretch of the A82? :cuckoo: :lol:

When I was 20 I made the mistake of accepting a lift to the office from a Manxman.

"Not too fast" - I said - "never been on a motor bike before".

Sh!!t - we were at work before he got out of 3rd gear! - No crash helmets then either - not that they would have made a blind bit of difference. :gag:

No, dont ride on the road anymore.

1. After silly speeds like that, even though I bought a naked bike it would still do 150mph.

2. Too easy to get knocked off.

my car was stable as you like at 160mph (clocked), when i drove it on a...... private road..... in germany...... :nuts:

Funny how many of us own private roads long enough to do these sorts of speeds :lol:

P.s. coullstar, are your wheels from a Delta?

Ive have a 3.68FD in mine and the gearing chart for 6950rpm indicates 157mph in 5th. With 3.389FD (which I think is standard VR) its says 171mph.

I had a 1.4 205xs which i tuned up myself, was running mega compression and made a custom inlet manifold and bigger carb it was wicked fun to drive, had to get rid of it though as the best i got out of it was 20mpg! the fun times will outweigh all the times it breaks! get 1!

the little 1.4 are fine up to motorway speeds. They have close ratios as standard and a snorty Weber/Pierburg on them which does well enough. I had one before my Mi and they're great for urban work. Don't demand the attention or price of a GTi too. Leave more money for the C!

Years ago i had a Sorrento Green Gti with power steering full leather and black carpet instead of red, truly fantastic car but at the time i was working my way up to a Corrado via a couple of Rover Coupes 216 and 220T.

Loved the nimbleness of the 205 Gti could chuck around and it would take it, i suppose for todays fuel prices it would be fairly uneconomical as a daily.