PhatVR6

VR6 belt tensioner bearing replacement - how to.

I don't have access to a press for pushing the bearing in and out.. so any idea if you can buy the pulley with bearing in already from VW that I can just swap over on the tensioner?

No - you need the whole unit for £60ish

Gruven parts do a metal pulley though - nice bit of kit

Bearing is a tenner though mate - I'm sure you could use a vice to swap it over, it's only small

yes, vice will do the job, just make sure you line it up properly before closing the jaws.

Now if only I had a vice I could use.... as you can probably tell I'm not well equipped for mechanical work!

I suppose I could pop into a local garage or something and get them to press in / press out..

Jim i pressed mine in using a length of threaded bar with some washers, really doesn't require much force.

Bearing came in the post today. I've just been to B&Q and bought a vice and M8 bolts. I've read all the guides. Time to get stuck in!

Good man - make sure it's a decent quality M8x80 bolt (grade 8.8 and above) as you don't want it snapping!

I remember doing the one on Dom's car agaes ago - use the ratchet spanners to get the tensioner bolts off as they will be tight and they give you good advantage.

All done and seems ok :)

Only question.. how tight should I have done the bolt that holds the pulley to the tensioner? It was fricking tight to undo so I did it back up fricking tight.. but an actual torque value would have been nice I think!

Ah - just found on the Vortex guide 18lbft for the 3 bolts onto the block and 30lbft for the bolt onto the pulley...

---------- Post added at 01:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:48 PM ----------

Strangely the old bearing seemed ok. No real resistance when spinning it by hand, and no obvious noises from it. New bearing on the pulley seems to feel about the same in terms of the resistance / how freely it spins. Maybe it wasn't that making the noise after all.

Will brave taking the car for a spin now and see what happens!

Jim, had the same thing with mine, changed the bearing - no change so now thinking it's alternator bearings.