davidwort

lock tumblers

anyone got any lock tumblers (the little brass key fittings inside the barrels) or old vw locks lying around?, could do with re-tumbling a couple of locks and VW want something like 80 quid for a massive bag of them :roll:

can't be arsed to file down the wrong sized ones I have :)

anyone got any lock tumblers (the little brass key fittings inside the barrels) or old vw locks lying around?, could do with re-tumbling a couple of locks and VW want something like 80 quid for a massive bag of them :roll:

I've got some old locks but i think that i gave my tumblers away after i retumbled mine.... I'll have a look for you

You're asking the wrong dealer. I've been to two where they keep them individually under the counter.

I heard about that but I've never found a dealer thats had them in stock yet...

You're asking the wrong dealer. I've been to two where they keep them individually under the counter.

I heard about that but I've never found a dealer thats had them in stock yet...

cheers Alex,

Kev, I'm sure you're right, I'll investigate further :)

I've got one polo lock to take apart so I could do swaps :)

Is it a bag of 100 you get for 80 quid? Bloody rip off! :D

Just wondering if it's worth clubbing together and buying a "Forum bag a tumblers" to share out as and when folk need to re-tumbleweed their locks?

I must say, new tumbleweeds really make for a smooth and crisp action lock :D

EDIT: Worth noting that replacement barrels come with 7 or 8 tumblers IIRC, so far more secure than the original barrels, which only have 5 or 6, IIRC.

David, I've got some but rather not give them all away as I need some for spares myself. If you know which ones you need then I'll send them or I can send what I have and you can return the ones you don't use?

David, I've got some but rather not give them all away as I need some for spares myself. If you know which ones you need then I'll send them or I can send what I have and you can return the ones you don't use?

very kind offer Dave, If I can work out how to push out the lock pin in the polo ignition lock I have I'll have a few in there, then I'll have a go at my corrado handle this weekend and see what I need, perhaps we should do as kev says or keep a google/skydrive spreadsheet of which ones we all have spare :lol:

there's only a few different one's aren't there? If enough people want re-tumbling done I might invest in a full new pack, TBH I haven't checked on exactly what you can get from the dealer reecently so I'll do that today or tomorrow too.

I have 7 different keys for two Corrados at the moment :lol:

my mate got a bag form under the counter for a fiver from the leics vw. if you know the numbers ill tap him up.

numbered 1-4 from what i can remember.

As far as I can tell there sets from late and early handles, can't remember which way round but 1 set is numbered 1 to 4, the other set is not numbered at all. From memory I think I've mixed them when retumbling, seemed to work ok.

As far as I can tell there sets from late and early handles, can't remember which way round but 1 set is numbered 1 to 4, the other set is not numbered at all. From memory I think I've mixed them when retumbling, seemed to work ok.

in my exoerience they are the same just some of them have no number stamp.

been a long time but i think 1 is to the left and they progress to the right as the numbers increase if that makes sense??

I took my lock barrels to TPS last year and they tumbled them for free for me, got them to do 2, they said they couldn't charge me for some reason...

now I'm grumpy, smashed my old polo (6N) ignition lock apart and stripped my drivers door handle out only to discover that the tumblers are slightly bigger in the polo ones than the corrado, wider and longer my about 1mm (scratches head) so I guess I'll just have to be careful what I order from VW, dad has a few spares apparently and I'm geting him to badger TPS to see if they hold a handful I can pinch, otherwise I'll be back scrounging :)

trouble is I didn't list what I needed before putting the handle back in, d'oh!