tony_ack

Ant's VR6

i would also get some copper washers for the caliper hoses. Just finally fitted mine (plus the pipe from the ABS to the flexi), bled the front left but it kept getting bubbles, started the engine, pressed the pedal and brake fluid just leaked out of the hose at teh caliper end. Unfortunately, i used smaller copper washers so i guess this was the problem. Hopefully ECP will be open tomorrow to pick some up.

Cheers Hasan - I saw your update in the 288mm thread on this after I'd done it!

The 2nd hand setup I got came with chopped flexis, so I still had the bolt and washers on that. The bottom washer unfortunately didn't come off the bolt without a bit of brute force, so I bent the washer... I just hammered it back into shape and hoped for the best as I needed the car back on the road - luckily it's not leaking!

Other than that, the 288mm swap was pretty straight forward. Before I started properly, I cracked open the bleed nipples on the rear calipers to make sure they were okay, and I also loosened the brake line > flexi unions on both front brakes. These were the two areas where I knew something could have gone wrong, so I wanted to make sure I wouldn't get stuck.

Stripping down the old brakes was straight forward, my big breaker bar made short work of the carrier bolts and the discs were off within 30 minutes or so (would probably have been quicker if it wasn't for lack of space in the lockup!). I had foolishly split the dust seal on one of the 288mm calipers, so I reused one of the ones off the old calipers. Ideally I would have got new seals, but couldn't afford them, and the old seals were intact and healthy any way. I swapped over the calipers and flexis quickly to minimise fluid loss, then built up the rest of the brakes.

Next I moved onto the rears. One of the rear calipers was sticking slightly, so I had some new seals. You get seals for both sides in the kit, so I did both sides - no dramas again! I reassembled the rears, checked for leaks all round, and got ready for bleeding.

I messed up the bleeding, as I forgot to open the bias valve (though the car was supported on axle stands under the rear axle). I also wasn't helped by the fact the old brake fluid was the same colour as the new fluid, so I had to 'guess' when each side was done. I did all four corners, then bled the master cylinder and ABS pump. I found the Easibleed very useful!

Brakes are now a bit spongey (or rather spongier). They seem to behave okay under light braking, but under heavy braking they don't seem to bite too well even when I put the pedal right down, and then the ABS kicks in (probably activated by the pedal position sensor). I guess this may also be down to the fact the discs were a little rusty (but are almost new - they've just been lying around for a few months). I'm hoping the braking performance improves this week as rust wears off the discs and the brakes self-bleed, and if not I'll have another go at bleeding next week, with a different colour of fluid!

Here's a comparison, side by side of the 280s and the 288s.... it's pretty obvious why the 288s should be a lot better.

IMAG0353.jpg

Here's a very useful resource I found about Climatronic. It's part of the Bentley manual for an Octavia, but it includes some pretty basic info about the system - probably at a lot higher level than the wiring diagrams and the like we've posted previously, so very easy to make sense of!

http://seliak-grup.ro/octavia/workshop_manual_heating__air_conditionning.pdf

Good link Tony ;)

Hi buddy where did you get your cup holder from? looks OE?

Regards

chris

Cupholder was off eBay - it's out of a Passat (can't remember if it is B3 or B4). Cost about £30 though so not cheap, and it was new old stock. I find it isn't a completely perfect fit, but you can only see that when you're installing it, and it looks the part as you say. I want to paint it beige ideally but I need to find paint that won't peel off and is scuff resistant.

A couple of more mundane tasks this weekend.

I did an oil/filter change. It went okay - I got the wrong size socket for the filter housing (managed to get it off by being uber-careful with a set of grips), and also the filter drain plug had been previously rounded, so I couldn't drain the filter first. Other than that it went okay. I used the Titan Race Pro S 10w50 oil as I've heard the VR6 likes it, and it has quietened the engine down even more.

I also bled the rear brakes again - I didn't have enough fluid left to do the full lot, but it has improved the pedal a lot to the point where it is no worse than it was before I fitted the 288s and refurbed the rear calipers.

I am about to lose my lockup where I do the work, so aircon is definitely on hold for the moment!

Always an anjoyable read Tony! Did you bleed the master cylinder and abs block as well? I have terrible brake feel at present after completing the fitting of my 288s this weekend.

I am starting to feel that the car is almost "finished" and where I want it to be!

Well, Corrados are never really finished, but I'm pretty happy with it at the moment.

I had noticed last week that the passenger front mount was a mess, which was annoying as it is a genuine mount, and less than 6 months old. I suspect that the front mount is the latest casualty of the dodgy alignment. The mount hadn't worn, rather it had collapsed in the centre, so the strut had kind of pushed the rubber in the centre upwards, meaning there was about 1cm height difference between left and right.

I changed it yesterday for a Febi VR6 item - I know they're not the best quality, but it was all I could afford, and to be fair I don't want to spend loads on genuine if it's just going to fail again in a few months. They're easy enough to change - I left the strut attached to the hub to make sure the alignment wasn't messed up, and compressed the spring so I could get the mount off. All done in an hour.

I also had a mess around with the airbox... I removed the helmholtz resonator and the trumpet to give me a bit more 'loud' on WOT... I do like the noise it makes now, the induction roar on a VR is pretty sweet, and the best thing is that it sounds no different to the unmodified airbox unless you give it some beans. Also, I've not damaged the airbox in any way, so I can put it back to standard if I want.

Finally, the brakes are improving all the time.

I got a bit of good luck yesterday... after clearing out my lockup I went to hand back the keys, but the lady who owned it wanted me to stay on at a reduced rate as she didn't want to get a new tenant in. So my rent was reduced from £55 per month to £10 per month... I could have got it for nothing but I would have felt a bit uncomfortable with that. So I still have somewhere to work on my car!

So here is the next list of jobs I want to do to finish it off:

-Aircon (though this is on hold until I can afford the parts)

-Rattle and squeak patrol

-Fix heated mirrors

-Sump gasket oil leak (need to wait for the next service)

-Underbody treatment and repair

-Stone chips (not many of these)

-Various body dings and a couple of rust spots

Definitely a lot better list than the one I started with a year ago!

---------- Post added at 02:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:12 PM ----------

Some pics I took yesterday near Sheffield:

IMAG0364.jpg

IMAG0374.jpg

IMAG0367.jpg

IMAG0368.jpg

IMAG0370.jpg

IMAG0371.jpg

While I was off this week, I wanted to do some work on the missus' Golf, which has the same KR engine as the Corrado. It had been running pretty pants lately, idling badly and pinking quite badly in all gears and revs over 1/2 throttle, even though it was being fed with super unleaded. I decided that the fuel and intake system was due an overhaul.

1. Tested the fuel pressures to make sure they were in tolerance - all was okay here.

2. Gave the metering flap, intake boot and throttle body a good clean to get rid of all the gunk

3. Swapped from a K&N panel filter back to the standard filter

4. Took off the intake manifold and replaced all the gaskets, including the ones to the throttle body

5. Renewed the vac piping

6. Checked the injector nozzles. They were okay, but the injector seats were shot (and already crumbling - right above the inlet valves!!!), so I ordered some new seats from VW classic parts. Also got some new seals on order from VW.

7. Checked resistence across the WUR - in tolerance

8. Cleaned ISV and checked it was buzzing... it wasn't. Found the earth terminal was corroded AND the wire to the temp sender was shot... fixed these and now it's fine

9. Checked the timing... it was about 25 deg BTDC!!! Set it to 6 deg BTDC (probably the cause of the pinking)

10. Set the base idle to 1000 rpm and guesstimated the CO (it's a bit rich tbh)

I took it for a drive and it's miles better now... pinking is almost gone and a little hesitant when first started when cold, but a big improvement. I think the remaining problems are partly due to the false air entering through the injector ports which will be sorted when I get the new seats.

Well after the non-starting drama last week, the car has behaved impeccably. Since I decided to take it off the road for the winter I have fallen in love with the car again - every minute of driving (even stuck in traffic) has been a pleasure. I came home this evening over the Snake Pass, and the car was simply amazing - when the VR6 turbo guys end up on these sorts of roads they must be s*****g themselves as it was mental with just a Schrick'ed VR6.

The insurance runs out on Saturday so I'm enjoying the last few days!

Well, it's all tucked away now for the winter. It was a sad day.

IMAG0416.jpg

I'm now in my new daily - a diesel Audi A4. It's a bit of a comedown from the Corrado. A whole 90 bhp (when it is running right which this one isn't!). It is big as well. Big and heavy. But it's also economical and it means I can reduce the mileage on the Corrado.

IMAG0408.jpg

omg ant, I got so worried that it had been wrecked when you said Retired!

Glad to know it's safe and tucked up. I threw the tarp back over the Plum today. We can't all have garages! :-s

Great read Ant - not been through the whole thread but having looked through the last few pages, it's definitely one I'll come back to!

That Audi sounds awful!! Is it less like driving and more like navigating a paddle-steamer? :grin:

Great read Ant - not been through the whole thread but having looked through the last few pages, it's definitely one I'll come back to!

That Audi sounds awful!! Is it less like driving and more like navigating a paddle-steamer? :grin:

To be honest, the Audi is okay... for £700 with 11 months MOT I'm pretty happy with it! The ride is nice even on the bumpy roads, though I need to remember to slow down a bit in the corners. It was rough when I picked it up, but I spent a full day yesterday tidying it up, including a clay/polish/wax and it's now quite presentable. The biggest problem with it is that it's just so big compared what I'm used to, which makes car parks a bit more daunting.

It needs a cambelt sooner rather than later, and there's a split in the boost pipe which I think is causing a loss of power and excessive smoke. Other than that it is mechanically sound.

The garage for the Corrado is dry which is the main thing, and pretty clean (the oil patches are from the Audi's service!). I want to give the Corrado a good clean as it still has the last 2 weeks of road dirt on it. Although there a few jobs that need doing to it, I'm loathed to start on them at the moment, because as it stands, the Corrado is still fully drvieable.

---------- Post added at 11:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:15 PM ----------

Speaking of car parks, after the detailing session yesterday, I headed to Halfords for an air freshener and audio cable... it was pretty late so the car park was nearly empty, so I parked in a space with nothing around me.

When I came back out a Land Rover Discovery had parked next to me on my passenger side, with very little room between that and the Audi. It is annoying to think that someone with the whole car park to choose from decided to park really close to me. So I got back in my car and started messing around with the air freshener/audio lead. While I was fitting them, the Land Rover owner came back and tried to get in his car. He had left himself almost no space to open his door, so opened it slowly, tried to squeeze in, and when he realised he couldn't he SLAMMED the door against my car and got in. I yelled at him but my windows were closed. I banged on my passenger window but he was already in his car now and didn't hear me. Still oblivious to my presence, he started tucking into a packet of crisps so I got out of the car to get his attention but he was already driving off. I don't think he ever even knew I was in the car. I checked my passenger door and he had chipped the paint. So glad I wasn't in the Corrado, but it's idiots like these who really annoy me.

so sorry to hear about that mate :/ driving standards seem to have fallen through the floor in the last few years. Well it seems that way to me anyways.

I have GOT to resist spending money on the Audi!

It's pretty poverty spec (for an Audi), with no climatronic, no driver info in the dash, windy rear windows (as in wind-up; they do not produce wind) and a basic sound system. I keep finding myself drifting onto eBay, then having to stop myself again!

The head unit is the original and it is shot - it suffers from a common problem where when you try the volume turn it up or down it goes to max volume, and the LCD is damaged. It's a basic cassette and there's no aux input. I was looking at a direct replacement (£30+ second hand) and a special adaptor to plug in the aux (another £30), but WHY?? I still have a spare headunit sitting in my shed which I got with the Corrado - I can use that instead!!

I'd like the driver info panel for the MPG readout amongst other things, and it looks cool, but it's another £80 for the clocks, and £35 for Vag-tacho to get them working... a lot of money for looking cool

And then Climatronic....ummm.... no.

Cosmetically, it could do with a front bumper - or at the very least a lower grille on the off-side as it's had a bit of a prang there in its past. I may just find a cheap grille and live with the bumper, unless I can find one uber cheap in the same colour. One of the mirrors is red and one is black - again this I may just live with! It is also missing a rear mudflap and a small piece of trim. Other than that, it is cosmetically in very good condition, which is surprising given the price!

One thing I did need to spend money on was fixing the boost leak, and a fuel leak - rang VW and it was £25 for a 5cm length of boost pipe, and the fuel piping to the injectors was about £15 per metre!!!!

I am still considering where to begin on the Corrado. I think the first job is a good wash and new wax, including all the muck up the arches and rear quarters. I need a sunny day for that so I can leave it outside to dry all day. Also, I want to get the wheels off, and give them a clean on the inside.

I want to change the front discs and pads this winter - the ones I used for the 288 upgrade were part-worn, and the discs had pitted a little. I thought they would clean up, but after a month they hadn't improved much. I think the discs will be the last job before getting the car on the road again, as I don't want the new discs rusting away while being stood.

Underseal scares me a little. I guess I need to get under the car and see where it's damaged, and poke around to make sure there are no rust holes. I'll save that for a day I'm feeling brave. I know there's a hole on the seam line on the back panel (under the bumper and in the boot), so I'm planning to get the rear bumper off to assess the damage there.

There's also the aircon to fit. Now the car is stored I can get the front end off and decide which condenser I can (make) fit.

Hi Ant,

I got scared when I saw she'd been retired! I am really chuffed that I sold her to someone did everything I wanted to do but just didn't have the skill, time or money to do! they are hideously addictive cars and now I have moved alot closer to where I work and I seriously tempted to get another VR :)

If your ever driving down the M40 and fancy a cup of tea and the chance to show her off, give me a text/PM as it would be lovely to see the both of you again.

John

Yeah, maybe retired was the wrong word, as it makes people think I've scrapped her or something!

Unfortunately I'm not going to be down that way in the Corrado any time soon - the plan is to take her off the road for a few months over winter, then insure her in the spring. You've probably seen that I've sorted quite a few of the cosmetic issues, but there's always work to do over the winter.

I'd definitely get another if I were you... it's hard to imagine life now without a Corrado!

I got the front end off to see if the MK3 Golf condenser would fit. It fits almost perfectly in terms of size but the pipes are just in completely the wrong place. Even with a bit of bending I can't get the top pipe sit right under the slam panel (the one at the bottom near the crossmember can be made to fit with a little persuasion). It is a shame, because slam panel clearance for the condenser itself is not an issue, and the passenger side brackets line up perfectly. The search continues!

Perhaps a standard Corrado condenser is the best option without chopping up my slam panel. The only problem then is getting the mounting brackets, unless anyone here either has some,or can fabricate them?

Thought I'd get some time to work on the Corrado this weekend, but the missus' MK2 has failed the MOT, so plans have changed.

-Both rear brake pipes need replacing

-Both front ARB drop links need replacing

-Steering rack boot

-Handbrake (one side is not working apparently so probably a seized mech!)

The ARB links come to £60 from VW so that's not the best start (heard bad things about the GSF ones for the MK2)

Don't have the patience to do the brake lines and bleed the system myself, so I'll palm that off to the garage. Same goes for the steering rack boot as I don't know how easily the track rod end will come off

I spent some time on the Corrado today. I took off all the wheels to give the wheel wells and arches a really good clean, but the main purpose was to see how badly it was rusting.

Well, some good news and bad news.

The good...

-the rear arches are mostly okay

-very little around the fuel filler - just a bit on the left-hand inside of the filler hole where the underseal has separated slightly

-nothing around the windscreen

-inner front wings are completely rust free

-sills are mostly okay except for a small (less than 5p) rust bubble on the left hand sill near the front (smaller than the rust I ground out of the opposite sill)

-all wheel wells clean and rust free

-most of the visible body is rust free, just a couple of spots of very light bubbling

The bad...

-three visible rust spots on the rear panel... not bad on it's own, but I haven't checked the rear valence under the bumper yet, and...

-1.5" hole inside the boot on the rear panel, where it joins to the floor. Seems to be on the join, and hidden by the foam that packs the spare wheel, but still needs fixing

-rear arch to sill join on the near side looked okay, but the 'lip' was loose... after a bit of prodding it was rotten! I've removed the loose rust and the completely rotten metal from the area, along with some of the underseal to try and stop more water collecting there

-rear arch to sill join on the off side was bubbling on the lip, but doesn't seem to be rotten (well, I can't put my finger or a screwdriver through it anyway and there seems to still be some solid metal there)

-surface rust inside all the suspension turrets

-front off side wing lip is bubbling quite badly... may be just enough metal left to salvage. Near side front wing is starting too, but should be easy to repair.

-both front jacking points (not the actual proper jacking places, but the 'nipples' that stick out at the front of the floorpan) have collapsed and rusted

So now I have yet another new priority. When the car is back on the road in the spring, I'm going to book it into a trusted classic car restorer (missus' friend's dad) to get me a quote to sort out the rust properly. He's meticulous about his work, and as these areas only get exposed once every 5-10 years, I want to make sure they're done right and the repairs will last. The car could do with a respray eventually as it's a bit of a patchwork quilt at the moment, but that can wait a few years.

NSR arch-sill join

IMAG0458.jpg

OSR turret

IMAG0463.jpg

The MOT garage numpties broke the central locking on the MK2 so another day I was going to spend on the Corrado was spent on that instead. Still I had some time to start looking at the battery tray. There was rust around the clamp and also a bit more where one corner of the battery rests against the tray, and that was pretty much it. I've ground most of it out, but I'm going to give it another going over next week.

The bonnet release is acting up a bit. It opens the bonnet okay, but the lever under the dash doesn't return to the closed position when you let go. Then, even if you push the level back yourself, when you close the bonnet, it only locks on the passenger side. It might be because I didn't put something back right when re-fitting the slam panel, but I'm not sure yet. I didn't have time to look at it today, but I took the grille off as a precaution before I closed the bonnet.