harryc

Which replacement ariel?

If you have an aftermarket stereo, you need to make sure the power supply to the antenna is connected (black wire along side the antenna cable) to the power antenna or amp remote output (usually blue and White wire).

If the antenna power supply wire is not connected the signal will be as if the antenna is not connected.

I'll have a look at the weekend - I think you might have the answer!

Curses - took the radio out this morning and there are a few interesting cables lurking behind it. Someone has clearly had to connect the original wires into some intermediate connectors so now there are loads of wires of different colours eventually going onto a block that goes into the radio. There is a stray red with a white stripe wire . . . . and when I plug the radio back in there is a whirring noise (indicating some sort of power getting to the unit and doing something with the CD ?) but the radio doesn't power on.

At the end of the day all I want is great radio reception across FM, LW (for cricket on Radio 4) and MW for 5 Live. I'm tempted to go to Halfords and get them to fit me a DAB head unit! They have some for £99.99

I bought the same one as you got, I checked the power at the aerial end with a volt meter,(ignition on) I had power,so I installed the new unit !

MW LW and FM loads of stations.

Good luck with your installation.

I've also been having similar problems to you, first tested the antenna power at the aerial end which wasn't working even though it was connected. Then checked the head unit where it was also connected, so I then fitted a new antenna power cable from the haedunit up the a pillar and round the edge of the headlining. Unfortunately despite this now working the signal was no better so I purchased a new aerial base and hey presto i finally have a signal. Hope you get yours sorted soon!

Tried a new aeriel base and that had no effect.

Took the radio out to see if there were any loose connections and now there most definitely IS - the radio no longer switches on. I have clearly dislodged something but can't see what. Grrrrrr :bonk:

More time today and I have been able to expose the problem - Two original looking connector blocks joined to a newer looking harness with a BIG block then lots of wires plugging into the smaller 17 pin block that goes in the back of the radio. Loose from this was the main power connection but also the fuse in a cut out fuse box had also blown. replaced the 5 amp fuse with a 10 amp (all I had spare) and the radio works again :cheers: although the reception is still poor and no existent in the MW but at least I have something. Think I'll leave it alone now . . . .

Edited by 4eyes2wheels

hiya - I have a 1994 Corrado VR6 - late type... would base type would I need?

It's most likely the later type ! (booster behind the radio) you are best off checking the areal first , it's only a five minute job.

Tried a new aeriel base and that had no effect.

Took the radio out to see if there were any loose connections and now there most definitely IS - the radio no longer switches on. I have clearly dislodged something but can't see what. Grrrrrr :bonk:

More time today and I have been able to expose the problem - Two original looking connector blocks joined to a newer looking harness with a BIG block then lots of wires plugging into the smaller 17 pin block that goes in the back of the radio. Loose from this was the main power connection but also the fuse in a cut out fuse box had also blown. replaced the 5 amp fuse with a 10 amp (all I had spare) and the radio works again :cheers: although the reception is still poor and no existent in the MW but at least I have something. Think I'll leave it alone now . . . .

Have you tested to see if you have power for the antenna supply? The issue you have sounds the same as what I had and replacing this wire sorted the reception out,

Cheers

Scott

Have you tested to see if you have power for the antenna supply? The issue you have sounds the same as what I had and replacing this wire sorted the reception out,

Cheers

Scott

I have not tested it - no multi meter (hangs head in shame). I did however take the aerial connector that plugs into the radio apart and strip back the shielding plastic to expose more of the core, then re-attached it all and hey presto - much better FM and even a usable MW recption for 5 Live. Still not perfect but looks like the radio end was at least as much to blame.

It's most likely the later type ! (booster behind the radio) you are best off checking the areal first , it's only a five minute job.

Not got chance to check before I plan to do the work, I currently don't have any radio installed, is there anyway of telling from looking at the wiring block on the radio plug wires?

Does anyone have contact details for the Ebay seller?

It looks like he's been booted off Ebay!!

Otherwise. Where else can I get an aerial base at this sorta price?

Hello

This is the one I bought, it says the seller is away until 25th March so you should be able to place an order tomorrow

Cheers

Scott

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VW-Beetle-Golf-Passat-Polo-Roof-Aerial-Antenna-Base-3-/360322452672?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item53e4e44cc0

Aha! Thanks. I didn't see the message about him being away until tomorrow.

I think I need the other kind. Mine's a '96 N Reg. But I'll drop him a line tomorrow.

Response from Car Masts UK

Hi Mike

If members request a discount for orders over say 10 pieces or £ 50.00

then I am happy to grant a 10% discount but I would rather avoid

giving discounts on a lot of small or individual orders for single

gaskets and masts etc. Hopefully members will just be pleased with

finding a source of quality aerial antenna parts, especially the

gasket as I believe we are the only source of these, and they often

perish on older models. I think the easiest and most effective way is

to just mention our ebay shop with a link to our ebay VW shop category

which is: http://stores.ebay.co.uk/car-masts-uk-shop/VW-/_i.html?_fsub=8691524&_sid=113038492&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

I trust the base is received promptly and solves the problem, and many

thanks in advance for any publicity or editorial you can achieve for

us.

--

Kind Regards

Malcolm car-masts-uk

Edited by MikeVR6

Can anyone tell what ariel connection i need from this photo? Not the greatest pic but best i could get at the time.

IMG_0679.jpg

Will this ebay one fit as a replacement?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VW-Beetle-Golf-Passat-Polo-Roof-Aerial-Antenna-Base-3-/360322452672?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item53e4e44cc0&clk_rvr_id=244156808034&afsrc=1#ht_542wt_907

Hi is this correct for 95 corrado thanks cannot find antenna on etka. Note it has a none threaded end- I believe there are late and early but as mentioned cant see nowt on etka. 

aeriel.jpg

aeriel1.jpg

Edited by Keyo

part number refers to mk3 golf  / vento will probably have been fitted to corrado as i would assume vw just fitted what was available during build.

4 minutes ago, ger040 said:

part number refers to mk3 golf  / vento will probably have been fitted to corrado as i would assume vw just fitted what was available during build.

Thanks mate I purchased it for £30 nos so cant go wrong really as i think vag charged £120 for them - might just have a different plug- easily sorted. 

Edited by Keyo