retrocorrado

hydraulic tappets!!

hi, i have a 1.8 16v (1990). when its cold the tappets ting loud and then stops and starts and so on till its warm then its fine, i have engine flushed it and put in castrol and new filter, hasn't helped!! i then took it took a couple of garages and they gave me the old `its gonna cost ya'!! i cant be the only person whos had this prob?! can anyone help with a cheap fix?!

There is no cheap fix to rattly tappets. People try molyslip and the likes but your only hiding the issue and it will come back. 2 options really, live with it and maintain regular oil changes, I have not flushed my engine before but just dump and re new oil regulary. I heard flushing can cause problems? Perhaps some else can correct me if im wrong. You could try a thicker oil too. Otherwise, a new set of tappets, wont be that expensive as you dont have 12 like the vr. Just go for the INA ones if you can, factory fitted. Again, I understand the cheaper after market ones can get rattly quickly. Euro car parts sell them, have a look on line.

thats what they do mate . mine and everyone on here is the same , they are dry as a bone when you start the car , no oil on them because it has drained down . it takes a few seconds on mine to stop ticking as the oil is pumped to the top, [last place the oil gets to] . i would not worry unless its like it when warm. i sorn my vr every winter as its only a weekend car and not a daily , when i got the tax last weekend , i started her up it sounded like a tractor! ok bit over the top but it was bad . i let her warm up as you should do ,few minutes later and a mile or so it was as quiet as it should be .dont let someone in a garage tell you that you need new cams !

a new set of tappets, wont be that expensive as you dont have 12 like the vr.

there's 16 of the bu99ers on a 16v!

so you're talking 200 quid!!!

so hard to tell which ones are shot, they shouldn't make a lot of noise on startup unless they are really worn

if you are quick, run the car till warm, then stop it, whip the inlet and cam cover off (easier said than done on a 16v)

pull out the cams and check each tappet, the knackered ones will have drained down, the better ones will still be pumped up, of course if one or two are worn the others may not be many miles behind, but if you have one or two really rattly ones, it's potentially a cheap way to get rid of the noise :)

hi ive had this prob,ive ran mine on 15w 40w oil with a bottle of stp oil treatment.that cured it.the last oil change i did was with 10w 40w and the stp that seamed ok aswell but the head gasket went so i couldnt realy try it

there's 16 of the bu99ers on a 16v!

so you're talking 200 quid!!!

so hard to tell which ones are shot, they shouldn't make a lot of noise on startup unless they are really worn

if you are quick, run the car till warm, then stop it, whip the inlet and cam cover off (easier said than done on a 16v)

pull out the cams and check each tappet, the knackered ones will have drained down, the better ones will still be pumped up, of course if one or two are worn the others may not be many miles behind, but if you have one or two really rattly ones, it's potentially a cheap way to get rid of the noise :)

Haha or they could sound like mine eh Dave and people will think its a diesel!!! Cheapest I've found is from a motor shop on the bay, but not sure if I should trust them. Would cost around £80 however the car isn't used everyday so might not be too bad....

Edited by eugopnosaj

i have been doing a bit of digging today and have been told that there is an american oil stabilizer on the market that is defo gonna work, but ive heard it all before and even if it does work, how long for!! i also spoke to a vw nut who says they suffer from a crystal build up on the lifters, is this true?? i know someone said they all tap but its loud!! i start work at 4am the neighbours love it warming up!! think im gonna have stop bein a stinge and get my wallet out!!

you're not going to save them I don't reckon, once the valve inside is shot that's pretty much it, there was a post on Glub GTI about taking them apart and cleaning, but like valving on dampers these things wear out and deposit build up may be impossible to remove, I think you need to bite the bullet and buy some new ones.

Or you could do like Jason and leave them, like he says, his rattles at idle like the top end has done a million miles, but it doesn't do any harm :)

I have plenty of perfectly good 2nd hand tappets. (came out of a few different heads i've been tinkering with) Couldn't tell you how many miles are on them though. You can have 16 for a tenner plus P&P.

I have plenty of perfectly good 2nd hand tappets. (came out of a few different heads i've been tinkering with) Couldn't tell you how many miles are on them though. You can have 16 for a tenner plus P&P.

def worth a go as new ones are over a tenner each at best,

at worst it will cost you a cam cover seal and possibly an inlet manifold seal.

Well if the OP doesn't want them (or you have at least 32) then I'll be willing to take them of your hand, for £10 they cant be worse than mine I suppose...

No probs, i'll have a look and see how many i have and let you guys know. I may even have some abf ones which are apparently lighter.

No probs, i'll have a look and see how many i have and let you guys know. I may even have some abf ones which are apparently lighter.

not sure you can use ABF ones with KR/9A valvegear though

Pretty sure they're the same, once the valves/collets/springs are in place a 9A and an ABF are identical from above. I thought the only difference was the number of ridges on the valves/collets, sodium filled valves and the diameter of the exhaust valves.

Im also pretty sure i've used KR tappets in my abf head and vice verca, will have a look though.

The tappets don't actually attach to the vales or anything. So im 99% confident they are the same, as i said ill have a look though.

hi, if its cool ill take those of ur hands, for the sake of a tenna!! even if it lasts a few months!! do you have pay pal? if you want email ur details? if you already sold them, no worries, cheers.

Still waiting on payment and a postal address from retrocorrado......... all packed up and ready to go since monday.

If he doesn't respond by friday they are yours eugopnosaj. I could only find 16, though im sure i have another 16 somewhere!

Still waiting on payment and a postal address from retrocorrado......... all packed up and ready to go since monday.

If he doesn't respond by friday they are yours eugopnosaj. I could only find 16, though im sure i have another 16 somewhere!

Ok cool thanks :)

Ok, no response from retrocorrado so they are all yours eugopnosaj (jason pogue i take it?).

I was charging him £18 inc royal mail standard parcels postage on the basis of if postage was less than the £7.50 something i guessed at i would refund the difference.

If that's ok, paypal gift it to: [email protected] and i will try to get them out this weekend, if not Monday.

Thanks,

Kunaal

Done, although when i sent some out before (should have kept them now haha) it only cost about £3/4 to post at standard delivery

Thanks buddy,

Standard parcels is either £4 or £8 depending on weight, i wasn't sure which bracket they'd come in. Will get them in the post as soon as i get a chance.