James.

1995 Sherry Pearl 8V

Cheers V33DUB

And I thought it was just me !

You're right about depreciation though. I've recently been toying with the idea of moving on to something newer, but there's nothing out there under 5k that floats my boat. Can't get a TT because there about as useful as a chocolate kettle and a new Beetle just doesn't sit with me as a blokes car for the moment.

Really enjoying how the car is now I've got it set up right. Don't envisage any more mods as all the boxes have been ticked, so time to sit back and enjoy. And even though the car now has 145k on it, I feel there's a lot of life left in it yet.

Thanks Adam. Ooooh Skol, old school ! Though I'm more of a Hoffmeister man.

May I ask the question about your MOT ? Sounds like you've jumped back into the wilderness and left civilisation behind.

Ps: I've not forgot about the grill.

Edited by James.

I missed the retest deadline because the campsite decided to flood the day i was taking it so spent the day fishing for tents instead. ill go into detail next time i see you!

might leave it untill next year now, the season is drawing to an end so will give me chance do what i need to over winter!

might leave it untill next year now, the season is drawing to an end so will give me chance do what i need to over winter!

roll cage !

How quickly three months can pass.

Since my last update I've:

Clobbered a kerb half asleep on the way to work. Kerbing the front passenger wheel 3/4 of the way round.

Changed the wheels front to back, as the tyres seem to be wearing quite fast. One to watch.

Changed a front P/S ABS sensor. Only to find the ABS still doesn't work properly.

Got a new MPG record ( 47.7 ! )

Spotted Oscar on the "Blackpool Breeze" VW website (picture taken at Tatton).

Had the exhaust partially separate between down-pipe and cat. Made the car sound like a Spitfire though. Much to the kids at schools amusement.

So yesterday I set about resolving the cars running issues. Popped the pass side wheels off to swap them over, so that the nearly new rears are now on the front in time for the snow we're meant to be getting soon.

whilst under there I decided to take a look at the ABS. I changed the front sensor a couple of weeks back. But now when I slow down and reach about 5mph the ABS kicks in and doesn't half feel awful. I'd put the new sensor in but wasn't happy with the alignment. I checked resistance on the front two. Both the same. Had a look at the front sensor and it seemed to be slightly further away than usual. popped it out, cleaned the hub surface of crust and connected everything back up. Wheels back on and hey presto. ABS service has resumed. The distance must have been giving false signals. Causing the ABS to cut in at the same slow speed each time. I wish they were all that easy.

Now the tricky one... Exhaust gasket.

I procured a gasket from Corkills VW mid week. Along with the M8 bolts that hold it together. How daft is this though. The nuts are un-available. A quick rummage through my nut/bolt drawer and I've got three M8 nuts to hand.

In ready-ness I had the gas and angle grinder ready. Once under the car it soon transpired that I didn't need them. The exhaust was being held together with rust and good will. The nut heads and bolts had simply rusted away and fallen apart over the years (check out the picture... new vs old) So I set to work drifting the three bolts (if they can still be called this) out, cleaned the exhaust faces up and installed the new gasket. She now purrs like a kitten, instead of growling like a scalded cat. Again a relatively easy fix.

I'd have treated the old chap to a wash and wax if it wasn't for the fact that all the locks and seals would have frozen up in the night. Giving me a major "berg" shaped headache in the morning. Best drop a bit of unleaded in the old boy and call it that.

For the moment that is....

Edited by James.

Thought I'd update the old thread with what's been happening to Arthur.

And to be honest, not a lot. A lot has been happening with him, but in regards "to him" is limited to a couple of MOT passes, new pagid pads and discs, the odd joint and brake pipe, timing belt, couple of stickers here and there, wheel bearings, Uniroyal rainsports, laser alignment or two and a bit more lacquer peel. But as with the marching of time, even our shine and joints are prone to wear.

Now as some people may know I love to extol the virtues of the 8v to those who may want to, who are forced to listen, or to those who generally feel obliged. A wonderfully well mannered road going car. A stunning "drivers car" through country roads. A comfortable long distance tourer that's graced the best, Scotland, Yorkshire and Wales has to chuck at it. Even grabbing the odd kudos point here and there in the process.

As sad as it may sound, I genuinely feel bad if the unofficial fourth member of the family is left behind. Going to Anglesey last month returned a new MPG record as a show of kind to the family.

But enough of my "Which car review". What's the old bluffer been doing for eighteen months since I last made noise on here ? The answer my friend is blown' in the wind (of West Lancashire).

Here's a few images here to paint a picture (to save me prattling on), but in summary, he's been converted into a rather capable works van. Lugging around on regular occasion: Radiators, cookers, makeshift roof light/sunroof conversion ???, many many many bags of rubble, cast baths, pallets and even the odd kitchen sink.

160K and going strong. Here's to another 160 old bean.

Edited by James.

53MPG?! I think you need to get a 'Bluemotion' badge for the back of it - that's mighty impressive.

Must get Arthur and Shery Baby together sometime James :)

KIPVW !!!!!!! not seen that name for a while

This is exactly what I was thinking !

I think everyone need's a little rest from Corrado's now and then and I think Kip has been enjoying one. Love the Nugget just lovely and original

Hey Paul. Good to hear from you. Hope all is well. Yeah, should put a mini meet together. Feel like all Arthur and I do is work, so a day away from it would be great.

Stay with me...

It’s fair to say I’ve wrung every pennies worth of enjoyment out of the old 8v.

It’s been an incredibly faithful servant to the family. Taking us on holiday, being used as a daily driver and over the past few years as a work horse whilst I restored an old house.

So this week, with the other Corrado finally out of the garage, and an extra few hours on my hands, I backed the 8v in, with a view to hopefully breathing new life into the ageing paintwork.

Remembering how the 8v required a small amount of welding for the previous three or so MOTs, I thought it prudent to check the underside before any top half work is carried out.

I started with the rear drivers arch as this had an amount of grot that required  priority attention.

CA16F233-A5B6-43C6-A8F5-315F2ACBAE9C.jpeg

The next two hours removing the rear bumper should have been a warning. First three bolts withdrew with relative ease. The fourth crumbled like flakey pastry. After half an hour with the grinder and another half with the drill, the bolt head gave way.

Upon removal, the rear apron was found to be heavily rusted around the mouth of the bumper mounts.

AC591C9F-0EA8-4CD5-9DB5-D472B8D39D8E.jpeg

I worked my way around the car. Stopping at the holes along the fuel lines. The fuel line mounts that have rusted loose and the front cill that contained half a cup of grit and dirt.

EC2DB95F-5A8D-4A31-96A2-9DF817091CBF.jpeg

FF4F653A-2E84-45EE-88A4-3D71EC987B38.jpeg

A227B2D4-717D-4BE5-9A16-8AFB12F2488E.jpeg

Wanting to gain clarity on the cill, I became  ever more frustrated at being unable to remove the front bumper bolts, and therefore the front wing.

The final straw was finding that the mud collecting in the inner fold of the filler neck was acting as structural.

88B337EC-6CB2-4B30-82B3-5326123646F3.jpeg

Admitting defeat, I retired indoors. 

So what am I getting at ? The answer is I don’t know. I don’t know whether to laugh or cry. Laugh at all the joy we’ve had together, or become upset at thinking is this the end for the 8v ?

Values have risen to the point where the car may be worth saving. I desperately want to keep it and not break it, but the welding bill alone could reach four figures (my welding equipment is in storage, where I can’t get access).

Anyone been in this situation ? Any advice is warmly welcomed.

Oh no, it doesn't look too great, and I know how crushing it feels when you are hoping that the rust you see doesn't go too deep, only to find horrors underneath when you finally bite the bullet and start stripping it back.

I'll be honest, it doesn't look too great. I was in a similar position to you a few years ago, but it wasn't quite as bad. I considered breaking, but in the end was determined to fix it. Like you, I was worried about the cost of repair, and even considered doing it myself, despite not being able to weld. 

I finally got a bit of money aside and got a quote - it wasn't as bad as I thought. I got the welding done, new sills, repairs to the rear apron (not as bad as yours, but a couple of holes higher up, and also a hole in a similar place to yours under the bumper on the rear quarter. I painted myself which wasn't the best job, but enough to get through last winter. 

I don't regret it one bit - if you can already justify the cost against the rising prices of the cars, then you're almost there. But I fixed mine for the same reason you want to fix yours - the car has been through a lot with me over the years and I wanted to keep hold of it as long as I could.

It's not something anyone wants to say, but the fact it's so bad in the visible areas means its likely to be not far behind in others (underneath the underseal). I think your next step is to attempt to strip back the underseal all the way along the sills, any areas that are split even if just slightly - paying particular attention to jacking points, mounting studs and the areas with visible rust. Grind or peel it all back until you get to clean primed factory metal, as it'll need welding to that point anyway and will make for a much more accurate quote for welding. If you strip the interior, carpets & sound deadening etc, it'll also keep costs down too. The painting is likely to be where you'll be hit hardest financially. It's a hard one as 8v are toward the bottom end for values, so the amount of work required probably doesn't make it financially viable. That said, the emotional attachment you obviously have with it is what will determine the outcome and is something only you can decide. Stripping everything back and out to find the full extent of it, then getting a few quotes should give you a better idea. Have any mates or work colleagues with a Mig? Even local Corrado owners who may be willing to help will keep costs down too. Best of luck with it whatever you decide mate. 👍

You can buy the whole floor pans from Heritage because its the same as a MK2 golf - but its all the other bits . Maybe break her up sell the parts and put the money towards a nice perty high revving 2.0 16V .which will more then lightly put a smile on your face.  Maybe mix it up a bit a MK2,3,4 golf or MK2 Scirocco. MK4 R32 is a good investment. 

Edited by Keyo

IMO if you’re thinking of doing it to turn a profit, give it up now and bin it it’s not going to be worth doing.

If you’re going to do it (the old school way) for the love of the car, knowing you’re wasting thousands of pounds you’ll never see ever again, just get stuck in, grab your credit card and find a safe place to hide the bills...

2 hours ago, Jamie said:

IMO if you’re thinking of doing it to turn a profit, give it up now and bin it it’s not going to be worth doing.

If you’re going to do it (the old school way) for the love of the car, knowing you’re wasting thousands of pounds you’ll never see ever again, just get stuck in, grab your credit card and find a safe place to hide the bills...

All of this ^^^^^^ !

This video is good timing. I'm not sure the owner realises actually how much money it will cost to sort out the car though, needs a paint job and engine rebuild by the sounds of it, mismatch interior, sunroof , electrics , and more. - looks great in red though.  Im pretty sure his electric light issue is not a major because its not as if the Corrado had the infamous Mercedes biodegradable loom.  its paint and engine he needs to worry about. 

Edited by Keyo