Sign in to follow this  
PhatVR6

Was, Schrick VGI GB, now show us yours!

Schrick are just putting the finishing touches to the order and hopefully will

ship Friday or Monday. They are going to ship surface mail as the consignment is

quite big as you can all imagine, air freight costs were very very high. I'm

hoping to have my hands on them end of next week. I will be in touch as soon as

I have any more news.

Any more news? I'm hoping they were shipped friday or today, and are going to be here very early next week...

In which case, what am I bid for the Shrick VGI, gas-flowed throttlebody, all vacuum gubbins and ECU on my black VR6?

This would be in exchange for your existing ECU and throttlebody (I have the manifold and cover waiting to go on).

If anyone is interested, I can post details of the torque curve ("...a Geoff special..." Scott, AMD, March 2004 VWCCGB Rolling Road Day) on this 215bhp beastie.

Spoke to Vince - he's been told the Schricks have been *shipped* (surface mail), but has not so far been given an ETA for delivery, so my booking for next week will remain for now.

He seriously recommends the VT front mount though for the Corrado (but at £130 + VAT it's a bit pricy :( ), but a new OE might be a good alternative at about £40..

Get the vibra mount.

See my "wahoo! VR6 is in!!!" thread to see just how close the VGI is to the bonnet. it's about 8mm off.....

A new OE one will be just as useless as a 10 year old one. You're going to be getting over 180 ft/lb of torque wrenching the engine back at 3000rpm..... I can't believe you haven't added a VT mount to the jobsheet yet!

The VT mount is cheaper than repairing a dented bonnet.

K

True enough, but the OE mount is already more than capable of handling 180lbft of torque at 4500 rpm, so why's the lower revs so different? Ok it might move slightly more than the VT one..

It's not the torque that's the issue. It's just likely that your original mount will be worn out, and the VGI sits closer to the bonnet than the stock one does.

Maybe, I just have a habit of always replacing worn out items with something uprated..... I only settle for stock if I can't buy anything else better.

It's not the torque that's the issue. It's just likely that your original mount will be worn out, and the VGI sits closer to the bonnet than the stock one does.

I disagree, it has everything to do with it. The only thing stopping the engine flying back is the front mount. Add extra power and torque to the engine and it's struggle for freedom becomes harder to contain, and at lower revs.

An OE one may "suffice" in holding the engine upright but it won't suffice when you're changing from 2nd to 3rd gear at 6000 rpm with a more powerful engine than standard.

There is a reason VT cost as much as they do. They're the best.

oh yes...

51367233.jpg

tight....

51369248.jpg

so your'e talking £90 difference between a factory mount and a Vibra one......can you get a VR6 boonet and hae it painted for £90???? didn't think so....

I understand what you're saying Kev, but I have to point out the engine won't be producing significantly more torque than it was before. Stock figures say "181lbft" at high revs. It doesn't matter what revs that's generated at, it's still 181lbs force at 1ft from the centre of rotation. Given that standard VR6s range from average - 175-180lbft to the rare 195-200lbft from the factory, the OE mount is clearly capable of handling that. They'd have changed it otherwise.

The Schrick improves response at low revs, sometimes giving up to 200lbft at 3500rpm, but as even that is no greater than the torque produced by a standard engine in some circumstances... We're back to square 1..

The bonnet issue is significant, however, and even with your VT mount Phat that's a bit too close for comfort.. That's why most people cut a small section out of that strut on the bonnet when fitting schricks, to give it room to breathe..

And no, I can't get a painted bonnet for £90..

More torque applied over a shorter time span = more load on the mount. It's simple physics.

Put in very basic terms, the front mount is at the end of a longer lever that is being pushed down quicker and harder than standard. It can only take that for so long before going pop.

I know what I'm getting at isn't coming across well on text but there's no way I'd use a standard mount for longer than I had to with a modded engine.