Sign in to follow this  
PhatVR6

Was, Schrick VGI GB, now show us yours!

Well given that my engine this morning felt like pixies had grafted an extra cylinder onto the block lastnight, looks like the Shrek is doing it's job :lol:

Feels like it needs a pinch more fuel, especially for 5th, then it's going to kick arse 8)

It's awesome, you're sitting there in a line of traffic hovering at 3000rpm and the engine feels alive and fighting at the bit, ready for an onslaught....when a gap presents itself, feck me.....kind of feels like a mini-turbo surge.....awesome, well chuffed :D

In fact the whole car felt spot on this morning and I didn't want to pull into the work carpark!

The icing on the cake was the gearbox oil change. Out with quantum synthetic and in with Redline MT90.....I kid you not, the box feels like it's been rebuilt. The oil is *that* good.

I'm a happy man again :lol:

Oh, forgot to say, you can't feel the changeover point and the speed is deceptive. You don't get a *massive* boost in pulling power, but you will find yourself drawing closer to the car in front *way* quicker than before and the engine also feels smoother and quieter with the Shrek.....all good really.

K

I can't wait to get mine back on......that mid range grunt in 3rd is awesome. I find myself backing right off until the road ahead i empty, then just planting the throttle and letting it tow all the way from 2000rpm right to the redline. then slowing and doing it again because it sounds and feels SOOOO f*cking good!

Yeah 3rd is probably where it's best actually. It's also good around town, I found myself loafing round roundabouts in 4th this morning thinking I was in 3rd.

Nothing really, it just behaved itself today!

I can still feel a strange surging on part throttle, so the engine is still not right, but it still felt a lot better than yesterday and I could actually feel the Schrick's effect......which is awesome.

If Corrados came from the factory with the Schrick, it would have sold in droves I reckon....

You car is a moody biatch, ain't it Kev??!!

Agreed on the factory supply tho. If they'd come from the factory with the VSR manifold they would have wiped the floor with everything. Even if they'd reserved the VSR manifold for the Storm it would still have been a bonus.

Not only that, but if it had that much torque from the factory, I'm sure they wouldn't be in such an appalling state now, on the whole.. If people didn't have to thrash the living daylights out of them from day one...

Yeah it certainly is. There's just something I haven't found yet, and I bet it's a 5p rubber seal or something!

The VSR never gave as much as the Schrick does, it didn't have tuned length runners and it needed a switching output from a certain revision of Bosch Motronic. So although it appeared to be DIY friendly and neat as stock, it was never as straight forward as that and they were nearly twice the cost of the Schrick - normal RRP that is!

K

At least us that are "in the know" about the VGI can be happy in the knowledge that our cars are now showing their true potential.

Now go buy an ATB diff and a 3.94 final drive and find out what the VR is REALLY all about.

If I get mine done in time for Inters I'll happily take anyone out for a razz in it to show you just how much difference changing the gearing makes.

In fact, I think I'll have to sprint it just to see what it'll do.

No, it doesn't throw it out. The speedo drive is on the side of the diff, and rotates at the same speed as the driveshaft (and hence the wheels, that's how it measrues road speed, providing you have the right tyres on it)).

All the final drive does is alter the relationship between the diff and the rest of the gearing. Whish as you will all know, is horrendously long and ruins the car.

Now go buy an ATB diff and a 3.94 final drive and find out what the VR is REALLY all about..

Yeah that's next on the list. Want to get the engine running well first.

Stormseeker, no it won't affect the speedo. It's only altering things beyond the FD. i.e. wheel size that affects the speedo.

Out of interest, Supercharged and I have proven that Corrado speedos *are* accurate on the way to Stanford Hall on Sunday, with a Garmin GPS box. Basically, the Corrado over reads by 3-4mph, as it was designed to. It's no where near as inaccurate as has been suggested on here a few times.

K

well my speedo must be knackered somewhere then??!! anything above 70mph is exactly 10% out all the way up to 120 indicated

out of interest, when your in 5th....is the speedo needle and the rev counter at the same angle all the way round?

well my speedo must be knackered somewhere then??!! anything above 70mph is exactly 10% out all the way up to 120 indicated

out of interest, when your in 5th....is the speedo needle and the rev counter at the same angle all the way round?

At around 3900ish rpm you should be pulling 100mph in the VR, so if yours is pointing over to 110+, it's way off!

K

Never noticed to be honest, I will have a look...

BTW - The test Kev mentioned was in the G60 (with standard wheels / tyres - 195's) and it seemed to get even more accurate as the speed went higher... I touched 120mph on the speedo and the GPS reported the top speed as 118mph

We'll have to do a similar test on the VR soon (i'm also interested to see what the Shrick does!! :wink: )

At around 3900ish rpm you should be pulling 100mph in the VR, so if yours is pointing over to 110+, it's way off!

Same on the G60 then... 8)

You also need to consider that the rev counter could also be innacurate.

My Schricks just arrived :D Fitting time 8)

Just been out for a lunchtime Schrick fix and my God, it just seems to get better!

The car is *really* motoring on this rainy, thick, cold aired day.

I reset my ECU on Sunday, so maybe it's still 'adapting' to the changes the Schrick has brought about?

Think of the way an 8V MK2 drives and you get the picture, only on a *MUCH* larger scale :lol:

Hurry up and get yours on boys, you're missing out on some serious fun :lol:

Jedi, I don't see how the GPS can be wrong. How often did yours poll the satellites?

Jedi, I don't see how the GPS can be wrong. How often did yours poll the satellites?

Could there be a disturbance in the Force? :lol:

does it still pink under load?

Nope!

Reckon it was the ECU relearning. The ECU had been reconnected after an hour or so yesterday whilst finishing off the Shrek, and then I took it out for a spin. Pinked, didn't feel that much different, but today - it's been fantastic :lol:

Quote:

Could there be a disturbance in the Force?

ha ha,,, could be....

i think it polls every 2 or 3 seconds. will have to wait till i get to try your car again kev, i'll hook the gps up in there and check the speed.

It may just have been a bad time - if all the visible GPS satellites were over in one particular quadrant of the sky the readings would be pretty innacurate..