Sign in to follow this  
PhatVR6

Was, Schrick VGI GB, now show us yours!

"too tight": You betcha!! ;)

But torque is torque, there's no time units involved. 180lbft is 180 lbs at 1ft, if it's applied for 10 seconds or 1 second it's still 180 lbs at 1 ft...

You're right - I don't understand what you're trying to get at Kev... If the engine was going to produce 250lbft or more (at any revs) fine, I'd totally appreciate the point. But it's not! The Shrek just widens the torque curve, it doesn't make it (much) more torquey.

My point is this - if the OE engine mount is designed to be fine with 180lbft from the standard engine, and I fitted a custom engine that developed 180lbft RIGHT through the revs from 500rpm to 8000rpm (actually a large electric traction motor..), then the engine mount would be FINE for that too. Sure, it would wear quicker if it was constantly subjected to high torque, but you can keep it constantly subjected to high torque with the standard engine aswell...

Now - what am I missing? :)

I've broken a standard corrado VR6 mount, with a standrd corrado VR6 engine, hence I wnet out and bought a vibratechnics one. I ran a vibra one on my 2nd VR6 too, and am running one (well, 3 actually) in the corrado too.

It's not so much the mount, more the design of it. it has a bolt going into it. the head of the bolt can snap off due to stress concentration under the bolt head and the way the front mount bracket can knock against it as the bolt stretches with age. the vibra one is a stud, with a nut, which is less likely to snap

I've found out the hard way, buy losing a bonnet, I'm not prpared to have it happen again, so It's uprated mounts all the way for me.

I've heard of them breaking, sure, but that's normal. Anything gets metal fatigue and eventually breaks when put under force. I'm sure the VT mount is *breakable*, even if it's a LOT stronger than the OE, so maybe when it gets to 10 years old you'll start seeing failures.

That's why I think fitting a new OE mount is a good idea - it won't be suffering from metal fatigue for another 10 years... :)

Come on lads, prove it to me, make me believe!! ;) ;)

What I can't believe is the amount you're spending on clutch, chains, schrick etc and you're quibbling over a few quid to protect your bonnet?

Well, when Phat and I are enjoying relaxed motoring with no threat of bonnet cloutage, we'll think of you with your sloppy OE mounts and notchy gearchange that goes with them :lol:

When you're at Stealth, ask Vince what he thinks of Standard OE mounts. LOL!

My feeling is simple - VW spent a ton of money designing and building the bits for this car. Some of them are rubbish, that's true, but the vast majority of VR6's leave the factory and never have a new front engine mount fitted in their entire lives...

well, after reading some of your replies in this thread I'm beginning to think you ARE a sad old man actually!

Can i interest you in a second hand standard front mount?

Is there a # I can call to see if there is a chance I can still pick one up?? Someone said call stealth, but I've heard the name Vince. Thanks for the help.

No!

That's my point, I'm quite prepared to believe the 2nd hand 1995 engine mount is close to being knackered. I don't want one of those!

Look at it this way - you buy a computer. I upgrade the CPU to one that uses the SAME power as the original one, but the guy in the shop tries to sell me a "uprated" power supply. What do you do?

I spoke to him this morning, he "strongly recommended" the VT.

We didn't discuss it at great length...

I'd imagine he'll ship anywhere, as long as you'll pay for it...

Dunno if you'll be able to get in on the group buy though. The order has now been shipped, so it'd have to be a second shipment..

You can always ask, tho.

I'm surprised there's not better places to get these in the US though - even the bargain £1074 price on the group buy will work out at nearly $2000 given the current exchange rate..

I think by the time you've shipped it to the states and added your country's duty to it, you'd probably be better off buying one from the States.

grrr, I just seen there was a few new pages to this topic and thought the schricks had arrived. :lol:

grrr, I just seen there was a few new pages to this topic and thought the schricks had arrived. :lol:

you weren't the only one either Joe :roll: :wink:

And me!! Wish i was part of the group buy, but sadly in too much debt!! Look forward to hearing the reviews... 8)

the OE mount is clearly capable of handling that. They'd have changed it otherwise.

just like they changed the design of the wipers and uprated the headlight loom wiring???

The arguement that "VW designed it that way so it must be right" just doesn't wash - wipers and light loom being 2 cases in point. If the Corrado had sold in mega-numbers when it was in production (or stayed in production a few more years...) then it may well have had more "product engineering" thrown at it, and we might well have seen different wipers and engine mount redesigns for the later models....

the OE mount is clearly capable of handling that. They'd have changed it otherwise.

just like they changed the design of the wipers and uprated the headlight loom wiring???

The arguement that "VW designed it that way so it must be right" just doesn't wash - wipers and light loom being 2 cases in point.

I agree - there's many things about the Corrado that suck because they didn't spend the time and money designing things that are sufficiently well engineered. But they still use the same design of engine mount for the current 12v VR6 engines (as far as I'm aware - correct me if I'm wrong), or more-or-less, so clearly this is a proven design that has remained unchanged for over 10 years.

I've already done the Lupo wiper upgrade and am very happy with it!!

(I'm not completely averse to the idea of upgrades and modifications.. :-) )

No, you just have some kind of strange fetish for Standard engine mounts!

Coming from a VW background, the first ever VR6 I drove (a Golf several years ago), I knew straight away the mounts were too soft. It's a cheat's way of getting a smooth engine. They're shite, plain and simple.

There's a big difference between something merely 'doing it's job' (which the OE mounts do until they snap) and something doing it's job well. The VT mounts form part of the whole performance package. You can really feel the front and rear ones holding that motor still, allowing the shift cables to do their job of changing gear, smoothly.

And in closing, if VW stuff is so good, why did Major Ivan Hurst find over 50 critical design flaws in the Beetle?

You can keep your OE mounts..... I've seen the light, the Vibra Light :lol:

K

There's a big difference between something merely 'doing it's job' (which the OE mounts do until they snap) and something doing it's job well. The VT mounts form part of the whole performance package. You can really feel the front and rear ones holding that motor still, allowing the shift cables to do their job of changing gear, smoothly.

And in closing, if VW stuff is so good, why did Major Ivan Hurst find over 50 critical design flaws in the Beetle?

You can keep your OE mounts..... I've seen the light, the Vibra Light :lol:

K

You *know* I'm quite regularly to be found slagging off VW's build quality.. I'm under no illusions..

As for the VT mount, I'm still trying to decide. I'm more or less decided to do it, but it seems excessive if I'm not keeping the car for ever, sorta thing. I suppose if pushshove I can whip the schrick off and the VT and put the old ones back when I sell the car...

.. and the length of time I keep the car depends on if Vince can figure out why the hell the steering and front suspension feels like it's about a million years old and done 10,000,000 miles on unsurfaced mud tracks.