huggy

Posibility of a 'new corrado'

Hi all, with so much chatter on the internet about a new Corrado and the recent revival of the Sirocco, I personally am concerned about VW giving the Corrado 2nd chance. The way I see it the Corrado at 97,000 produced was a one of, a moment in VW history that ought to stay exactly that a one off.

Also can you imagine the conversation "ohh I drive a Corrado"- "ok how much that set you back" - "four grand" - "you what? thats cheap"- "erm no, that’s about right, your obviously thinking of the new Corrado, there was a Corrado before the current model" ..................

Also consider what effect a new Corrado would have on the status of our beloved machines, they would no longer be one offs; also they may not be worth as much in terms of the dollar. At the end of the day our cars are becoming "modern classics" according to Hammond, do we really want another one, can’t we just be happy with the new Sirocco and a few Corrados?

Is it worth petitioning VW against a new Corrado, and would they even listen?

Thoughts on a post card please

I'm pretty certain. For several reasons.

In terms of positioning it within the brand.. The Scirocco and the Corrado were sort of in the same segment, but the Corrado was more expensive, so a more premium version of the Scirocco. Arguably if VW launched a Corrado, they would have to position it up slightly and that'd be treading squarely onto the toes of the Audi TT.. and I don't think VAG as a group would really want that.

In terms of the Corrado itself.. as has been discussed many times, despite acclaim from journalists, the Corrado wasn't THAT popular. They only sold 97,000 Corrado's vs something like 850,000 MK1 & MK2 Scirocco's so was really not that successful though obviously didn't have the same amount of time in production as the MK1 & MK2.. VW don't seem especially proud of the Corrado.

Personally would love to see another Corrado - if only for the articles, features (magazine and TV) that would drum up more interest in the "MK1 Corrado" - I think it'd be excellent!

Defo think Jim is on the money..... Interesting conversation though can you imagine it...What do you drive ?, O me I drive a Mk 1 Corrado, ...Av it :dance:

It's already out :)

volkswagen-scirocco-gt-tdi.jpg

A bit too big and wide for my liking though

That looks like the scirrocco.

The Corrado was going to be the mk3 Scirocco (you can see it badged as that in some early design photos), but then VW went a bit mad and made it too complicated and expensive and then sold it alongside the mk2 Scirocco for some reason. It bombed compared to its cheaper contemporaries and was thus consigned to the annals of VW history. They will never bring back the Corrado name because it wasn't (in motor industry terms) a success. The Scirocco, however, was a success and the new ones are (at least in part) targeted at the people who remember the mk1 Scirocco from their youth and can now afford a brand new 'sports coupe'.

The Corrado was going to be the mk3 Scirocco (you can see it badged as that in some early design photos), but then VW went a bit mad and made it too complicated and expensive and then sold it alongside the mk2 Scirocco for some reason. It bombed compared to its cheaper contemporaries and was thus consigned to the annals of VW history. They will never bring back the Corrado name because it wasn't (in motor industry terms) a success. The Scirocco, however, was a success and the new ones are (at least in part) targeted at the people who remember the mk1 Scirocco from their youth and can now afford a brand new 'sports coupe'.

They realised they couldn't call it a Scirocco because the Scirocco had always been an affordable sports coupe. The Corrado development costs, etc were so much higher, that they realised they had to rename it and launch it as a different more premium model - it'd be out of whack with what the Scirocco was. And presumably because they didn't then have an actual replacement for the Scirocco they had to keep selling it for a while longer than they'd imagined. Might explain why they made so many damn variants of the thing - Tropics, Scalas, Storms, etc etc...

There's nothing really special about a Corrado, I wonder if things would have been a whole load different if they'd run in down a VW production line and knocked a few grand off the price.

Technically that's true but speak to anyone with a long history of owning VWs and the Corrado is always rated as the best. Even the trade say the same. I can think of 2 very well known businesses who build very powerful VWs and they still own and love Corrados more than any other VW.

And a good proportion of the people on here have reported very positive feedback about their Corrados from complete strangers. No one ever commented on my MK1 and MK2 Golfs.

The Corrado may have been a complete flop to VW's accountants but out in the real world it was far from a flop. Whether VW make another one or not, the original will always be the most fondly remembered VW, alongside the MK1 GTI.

In 20 years time, no is going to remember or care about Phaetons, MK3,4,5,6,7,8+ Golfs, ToeRags, Stiguans, Passats etc.

As for where to place a 'new' Corrado in the current VAG line up, it's pretty obvious really. Above the Scirocco and beneath the new UR Quattro. The TT is widely regarded as nothing more than a 'boutique' car that no one really likes as a proper driver's car, so the Rado won't threaten that market.

The 'new' Corrado would be a proper FWD car all about handling, just like it's predecessor!

Edited by Kevin Bacon

Technically that's true but speak to anyone with a long history of owning VWs and the Corrado is always rated as the best. Even the trade say the same. I can think of 2 very well known businesses who build very powerful VWs and they still own and love Corrados more than any other VW.

And a good proportion of the people on here have reported very positive feedback about their Corrados from complete strangers. No one ever commented on my MK1 and MK2 Golfs.

The Corrado may have been a complete flop to VW's accountants but out in the real world it was far from a flop. Whether VW make another one or not, the original will always be the most fondly remembered VW, alongside the MK1 GTI.

In 20 years time, no is going to remember or care about Phaetons, MK3,4,5,6,7,8+ Golfs, ToeRags, Stiguans, Passats etc.

As for where to place a 'new' Corrado in the current VAG line up, it's pretty obvious really. Above the Scirocco and beneath the new UR Quattro. The TT is widely regarded as nothing more than a 'boutique' car that no one really likes as a proper driver's car, so the Rado won't threaten that market.

The 'new' Corrado would be a proper FWD car all about handling, just like it's predecessor!

Jou summed up my thinking exactly, now VW might not like what happend in the past but they may see a potential future given how the car is reguarded amongst car lovers today, along side a top gear and 5th gear featture it may well do very well this time they can learn lessons from the past use parts from the tt and sirocco and vawla a cheap new corrado that may do well.

But in my humble opinion, VW simply don't care about appealing to the "enthusiast" any more. Sure they make the right noises.. they had focus groups, invited enthusiasts and all sorts when they made the new Scirocco and proceeded to ignore about 90% of what the enthusiasts said appealed to them about the car ;)

There are only a handful of big car companies who I really think have a vested interest in catering to the enthusiast / fans of the marque and I don't feel that VW are one of them.

I don’t think its necessarily about catering to the enthusiast, car companies have a habit of re using old names for new cars, even if the take nothing from the original, most people don’t buy new cars because they fell in love with the car, most people buy new cars because they fell in love with the advert, with the reaction of their friends, with the looks of that model, with how they think it will improve their 'status' the name of it will not make the slightest difference to those people which are at the end of the day the large percentage of the buyers, it will all be in the advertising. The Spice Girls didn’t get famous overnight because they were good, they got famous because there was a good advertising campaign, and cd's were becoming cheap! They could have been called The Pepper Girls, and because of those media moguls still done just as well.

My concern is that VW will re-use the name and make a car just a little better than the scirocco, the most likely won’t be concerned about the Audi tt, its often seen as a girls car and let’s face it most of the population do not know Audi and vw are one in the same, you will most likely find a lot of people who will not buy an Audi but would a dub, for that reason it makes sense to launch a similar car, vag want to have the market if the can any company does.

any hoo just my opinion

I don’t think its necessarily about catering to the enthusiast, car companies have a habit of re using old names for new cars, even if the take nothing from the original, most people don’t buy new cars because they fell in love with the car, most people buy new cars because they fell in love with the advert, with the reaction of their friends, with the looks of that model, with how they think it will improve their 'status' the name of it will not make the slightest difference to those people which are at the end of the day the large percentage of the buyers, it will all be in the advertising. The Spice Girls didn’t get famous overnight because they were good, they got famous because there was a good advertising campaign, and cd's were becoming cheap! They could have been called The Pepper Girls, and because of those media moguls still done just as well.

Which explains why I've never had a SINGLE wave, look, comment from a new scirocco driver when I've been in my Corrado. I have far more from compliments from drivers of quattros, old golfs etc. and even old Japanese and American cars like mr2s. I don't think most owners of the new Scirocco even know what an old Scirrocco looks like, never mind a Corrado.

Which explains why I've never had a SINGLE wave, look, comment from a new scirocco driver when I've been in my Corrado. I have far more from compliments from drivers of quattros, old golfs etc. and even old Japanese and American cars like mr2s. I don't think most owners of the new Scirocco even know what an old Scirrocco looks like, never mind a Corrado.

Sad but true.. :(

Noticed that today on my way from BFV in my Mk2. Got a huge wave and lights greet from a fellow Mk2 driver, not from any of the Iroc-drivers anywhere along the route. Live in a world of their own.

Tempest

This is the new Corrado in anyone's book

I really would hate them to produce a 'new' Corrado.

Having said that, this looks fantastic!!

Agreed, I'd rather they didn't make another Rado, but that does look pretty awesome, and definitely the closest thing to resemble the Rado from VAG.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk

whats all this talk of the Scirrocco being an affordable sports coupe? I went on vw.com to price one up the way i want and it came to £36.540.00.

now I dont call that cheap by any strech, like the M1 on top gear the other night comparing it to a gti 40grand! no no no... sorry rant over :D

Nothing with reguards to motering is affordable these days, £80 to fill up £1300 insurance £290 ax for astra £190 tax corrado 2x£50 mot £and approx on average 2 x £200 serviceing. its soo anoying, the average motorist gets riped of left right and centre!

---------- Post added at 10:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:12 PM ----------

oops and £60 to fill up astra, that just about lasts a week grrr