VW_OwneR_85

Vr6 , tt seats

Did you work out what colour it is? It isn't reflex silver i don't think. Reflex replaced satin silver around 1999 ish... It is much lighter than your car..

tbh i think its just had work done and the colour of the paint they mixed up didnt match 100% and where the paint peeled you can realy see the differance but the atlas grey i got was slightly darker but its not that noticeable,im happy with it :) hopefully be able to get stuck in next week with sorting out the running problems.,

thought idd post a pic or two ,

still aint got banded steels :( my temp insurance has run out on the corrado and driveing over here right now is absolutley horrid!

so no point insureing it again until the weather cheers up , only one thing to sort out from the conversion which i found out from driveing these past few months and thats the vss signal to ecu , it still drives amazing and i could leave it as it is tbh but the rev limiter kicks in at 5.5k revs because it doesnt see a signal from vss, iv been informed on what to do so its no big deal, would like to sort out the interior soon aswell,

DSC00071.jpg

sorted a few things out on the mk2 but i want to sell it as these cars are just money pits! better i focus my attention on haveing one good car then going bankrupt on two half assed projects

DSC00080.jpg

Shame you want to sell the MK2 - I didn't find them that bad money-wise compared to the Corrado. It could have had the touch up in Pearl Grey btw - the colour is very close to Atlas Grey and pearl grey replaced atlas on the later cars.

I did exactly the same as you at the beginning of the year btw - swapped a working Audi A4 TDI for a MK2 GTI that needs a new engine!

thats a good shout on the colour! could well be , its not that noticable realy , just the scuttle looks a little darker then the rest , i had a vr6 swap in mind for the mk2 as iv got my old vr engine just sat there and its something i wanted to do for awhile but adding the money up for other bits n pieces im looking atleast another £500+ that im never going to get back on it, im thinking from the sale i could get myself a nice black leather interior and the wheels iv allways wanted with a little extra to play with :)

oh yea found out why the golf had a running problem, think the abf motor was sat outside prior to the previous owner installing it , moisture had built up inside the spark plug tube and corroded that crap out of it,

DSC00072-1.jpg

Edited by VW_OwneR_85

ah gave the old dawg a clean and polish this past few days, its been sitting at the back of my shed gathering all sorts of dust so i thought i best sort it out now before it gets to much,

DSCF0239_zps9f7ff0d0.jpg

all wrapped up untill next year :)

DSCF0242_zpsa85ce5a0.jpg

Fantastic thread, Chris. Read it through from the beginning and really admire what you've achieved. Your dedication, skill and enthusiasm is impressive.

Found the section about the windscreen of particular interest and now have a grip of what's to be done on mine.

It's an inspiration, mate, and thanks for the time and trouble you've taken to post it all up. Keep it going.

thank you for the kind words sir, its been an absolute treat owning this car , its made me do things i wouldnt of normaly done, i.e welding , painting etc , plenty more to come, only the start of it ;)

i dont know much about 3 phase and single phase supplys but i do know my shed has a 3 phase power supply as my sparky m8 pointed out, but what iv used can easily be run off of single phase , my friend darren has a shed that iv helped him do his golf in and his power supply is single phase from an extension lead from the main house to his shed via another lead! , lol when the kettles on the lights dim! haha sounds crap but it runs the welder and compressor with no problems at all, also my other friend goerge has a shed thats like 50 mtrs away on the same setup as darren and theres no problems there with useing a welder , the one i learnt with is a siegen mini mig 130 amp i think? its not hard you clean the metal and on panels its literly point and shoot for 1.5 secs and rinse repeat ,on bigger stuff like angle iron and box section what i do is tac my work and then point and keep it going whilst doing a circular motion across both sections which brings both surfaces togther which also produces a nice weld pattern, , its just scary the first time because of the whole welding electric thing but you get used to it as your confidence builds and you soon learn how and what needs to be done, if your a handy man and like your tools its deffinatley worth getting ,has so many uses other then to fix a corrado :)

Edited by VW_OwneR_85

I did part of a welding course a couple of years ago but had to give up due to health issues. Very scary at first LOL. Learned the basics of mig tho'. Setting it up was always tricky. I don't have any light or power in my garage - rented council job in the city - but hope to remedy that soon as and get stuck in, if poss. Certainly enjoy DIY.

Great read, liking what you've done

I'm trying to decide if I want to remove the quater windows or not when i spray it (but that probably wont be till next year)

Great read, liking what you've done

I'm trying to decide if I want to remove the quater windows or not when i spray it (but that probably wont be till next year)

cheers bud, deffinalty worth removeing the windows for a better job, some people have used things like plastic strimmer wire to pack up the window seal so the paint flows under but you can only do that with the horizontal edge, my mk2 golf has had paint before and they just masked off the seals , the hard paint line is so obvious, also if you did remove the windows yourself before hand it would save you abit more money as the painters wouldnt have to mask them up with care,

cheers, i used this stuff http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/E-Tech-Lens-Tinting-Spray-Light-Tint-Red-/280942543598?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item41697b02ee

but the trick is to let it cure and re scuff with scotch pad and finish off with a 2k clear coat, will look 100% professional,

otherwise the gloss wheres off and doesnt look so good after a few months, i actualy need to finish the ones on the corrado off as they have no clear,

heres some others i have done with a clearcoat,

DSC00876.jpg

DSC00875.jpg

smoked,

i actualy didnt like them but my m8 did,

DSC00843.jpg

brilliant, ill give it ago, you needed different coloured bulbs for indicators or reverse?

actually given me some real inspiration to get on with mods to my car reading your thread. always wanted to give spraying a try and nice to see someone who has gone for it.

na no need for coloured bulbs, its a transparent paint so it still shines bright even though its coloured, yea give it ago but be warned paint is time consumeing! and your only get out what you put in and protect your lungs from paint vapour!! a diy dust mask wont help here ;)

16's not quite 8j for the front and not quite 9j for the rears to meet the offsets i required, realy cant wait to get my tyres fitted :)

Wish I'd never sold mine! :( can't wait to see em on mate 👍

Wish I'd never sold mine! :( can't wait to see em on mate

same here!!! iv been wanting these since the first page of this thread!!! , just cleaning them up and rattle can spraying them satin black, already finished one and its looking rather nice, did you have any problems getting tyres fitted? i cant help but think the tyre place over here will think im mad when i ask them to fit my tyres! , also you have any problems with getting them balanced?