VW_OwneR_85

Vr6 , tt seats

yea anything but the standard handles , my neighbour has an old pug estate which has very similar audi style handles very flat aswell , i was tempted to cut them out ;) the linkage was abit of a head ache but i sussed that out , i'll get a pic of that so others can see and possibly save them a few hours,

DSC00832.jpg

DSC00833.jpg

Edited by VW_OwneR_85

LC9Z!

DSC00837.jpg

Took far to long to get smooth!

DSC00836.jpg

DSC00839.jpg

DSC00840.jpg

smoked rears for a friend, he'll be more then happy i recon :) and yes i am wearing marrigolds ;)

DSC00843.jpg

thanks kempy much appreciated,

well had a lovely time playing bodyshop and finished my passenger door today, looks mint! realy realy happy with it,

cleaned up the green algee line on the window which is normaly covered by the seal also greased up the window rollers

so now my window is silky smooth :)

heres a shot of the linkage, basicly the nut thats welded on pivots on the threads when you open or close it, i tryed useing

wire bent to shape but it flexed to much and lost the travel required to open the latch,

DSC00846.jpg

this was the original which worked for a few pulls until it bedded in and couldnt open the latch anymore,

DSC00818.jpg

think i'll get 2 weeks insurance out and drive it before i start on the drivers side,

DSC00848.jpg

DSC00849.jpg

forget what i said above about takeing 2weeks insurance out to drive it! the weathers been absolutley crap! so on with drivers door!

some pics that arent above and some tips for anyone wanting to do this themselves

old shoddy n dodgey!

DSC00852.jpg

cut out a sqaure thats big enough for the A6 moulding to sit in! from here you can

adjust your handle so its sqaure with the body lines,

DSC00853.jpg

getting it sqaure and in same position as passenger side { 75mm in and 35mm down from edge }then mark the outside!

DSC00854.jpg

cut on the inside lines for a nice tight fit!

DSC00855.jpg

now get the mechanism working ! as you can easily pop it in or out and make any mods,

far easier then when its all welded up, the space is very limited!

DSC00857.jpg

Edited by VW_OwneR_85

need to get the remote central locking kit wired up,

DSC00883.jpg

DSC00885.jpg

DSC00886.jpg

and its ready to rock!!!

DSC00887.jpg

should realy get a little bit more creative with photography ,

DSCF0038.jpg

DSCF0041.jpg

My wireing harness was finnaly posted out on weds and got here this morning! so stoked!

also sold my borbet A's to fund banded steels , which is what i wanted in the first place ,so hopefully the next time this car touch's tarmac its going to be exactly how i want it!,

posty dropped this off this morning :) , been a long time comming!

DSCF0073-1.jpg

everythings going to plan, going to re new the arb bush's and a brake pipe now the bay is empty, im not spraying or tideying the bay what so ever, just gona clean out all the old gunk in the corners and wax oil it where it needs it,

DSCF0074.jpg

useing my old clutch, its a sachs clutch and still has quite abit of life left in it,

DSCF0075.jpg

going into retirement ;)

DSCF0077.jpg

got new fly wheel and pressure plate bolts to go in along with a new clutch release bearing for the box,

DSCF0078.jpg

made a clutch centering tool by wrapping electrical tape around the socket extension,

DSCF0079.jpg

gearbox is filthy!! so going to clean that up tomo and get it fitted and test fit to see what the crack is with this down pipe, i thought idd be abit nervous as iv never done a conversion before but im not , im actually more concerned with how rusty the front cross member is! {the section with the pas pipe goes through}

DSCF0076.jpg

Edited by VW_OwneR_85

cracked on today, didnt get as much as i hoped done but still progress none the less :)

renewed the front brake hard lines, thought that was going to be easy but nope! i had to cut through the brake fitting in the arch, as they were just a rusted mess!

need to order another brake hose and 2 banjo bolts for them , anyone know what size they are? , got the copper hard lines fitted up to the arch's and ones capped off

ready for a flexy, so i best not forget about the brakes!

searching through a box of bits that iv slowly gathered over last year with the intention of fitting i came across a gearbox out put flange seal,

strange why there was only 1, so i fitted that to what i thought would be the hardest side,

pressed off fairly easy , although it wouldnt budge when i tryed to pry it off with a jack bar,

DSCF0080.jpg

as it happens idd say this was the worst side any way ,

DSCF0081.jpg

fitted the box & thermo houseing, removed the old mk4 header tank pipes & modified the front mount,

DSCF0082.jpg

& fitted the rear mount, think tomo it should be sat in place for a look at the down pipe or i may fit new arb bushs!

DSCF0083.jpg

had a quick sneak peek at the wireing loom, its all labled up nicley and all looks fairly straight forward, think matt @ OCD has done a good job with that!

Coming along very nicely pal, gutted I didnt get to see this conversion happen. Ah well its an excuse to come back to the rock to have a look at it.

cheers guys, yea rick gutted myself that you couldnt be here, knowing you were here for tech know how and help gave me the confidence to go for this conversion in the first place, just a shame that this wireing took aslong as it did,otherwise this would of been completed months ago! but realy enjoying it so far, for some reason everythings going smoothly i guess its because up to now its just been an engine swap but now its time for the conversion!! ..

started on the down pipe this afternoon, damn its a ball ache!! probably wouldnt be as bad if i had a pipe bender and fresh tube to work with , all my bends/ tube are comming from both dp's cut up!

side by side

DSCF0084.jpg

chopped the top half of the 12v dp

DSCF0085.jpg

bolted it up and propped it up to exaclty where it needs to be.

DSCF0089.jpg

engine sat in place,

DSCF0090.jpg

and heres what i need to fill in,

DSCF0092.jpg

kind of figured out half of the right side,

DSCF0096.jpg

thought this part was gona be easy but its gona take time! wouldnt be bad if there was loads of room but im just gona have to work through it no matter how long it takes,

well iv almost finished the down pipe, ran out of blady gas! damn that stuff doesnt last long!

just need to make a joiner peice and weld up a hole from where i cut out a lambda boss and then reposition them where i see fit,

then weld the flexy/flanges on , the main brain pita work is done so i dont have to work out which bends to use where etc etc

like i said all my bends and tube have come from both downpipes so iv had to make it all work ,

heres two 45's think i managed to get 5 in total,

DSCF0094.jpg

took me awhile to figure it out but i got there

DSCF0097.jpg

one leg prety much ready for welding, the flanges will be welded last as you wont be able to remove the DP easily , and its been in and out around 6 times,

DSCF0098.jpg

DSCF0099.jpg

Welded as much as i could, i ran out of gas so i had to stop , the big hole is from where i cut out a lambda boss, i will fit those at the end once everythings piped up just need to relocate them where i see fit, atleast this jobs almost done! Happy days :)

DSCF0106.jpg

looking good mate!

cheers buddy,

I need to learn how to weld! looks very similar to how mine is

yes you do!! i cant imagine doing this stuff {car diy} without being able to atleast tack weld, idd say bite the bullet and go for it! want any tips just ask, who did your down pipe btw?

well finished my down pipe today, so happy with the out come, just waiting on the heat wrap to arrive so i can get it wrapped up,

DSCF0110.jpg

i made sure that there was no bures or welding wire pokeing through any of the welded areas aswell,

welds dont look amazingly neat but iv got very good penetration.

DSCF0111.jpg

Good work mate! The welds look fine to me. As you say, penetration is the key..... and we all like a bit of penetration don't we? :D

Those little Argon/CO2 mix bottles don't last at all do they? 10 mins I got out of mine. The CO2 lasts a lot longer and to be honest, you can still get good results with that :D

Graham from DG done it as he done the conversion for me.

Will be reading into thats for sure as I will need it for what I have planned!

The CO2 lasts a lot longer and to be honest, you can still get good results with that :D

i started learning with plain c02 and come to think of it yea i think it did last longer,when i went to get more gas i got given argon co2 mix and i actualy thought something was wrong as it was welding different lol , but i love the way argon/co2 welds its so clean and perfect, cant remember the last time i used just c02 tbh so i might have to go back to it,

Graham from DG done it as he done the conversion for me.

Will be reading into thats for sure as I will need it for what I have planned!

dont read into it , do it lol , it took me around 8hours of play time to actualy get comfortable with mig welding and thats something reading wont teach , when i first started out i was so nervous lol ,so get practiceing way before you actualy start your awd beast!

started prepping the wireing today , LOL took me like 15minutes to realise that the fusebox plugs are locked in place!!! i wasnt happy!

crammed in the foot well with a mess of wires! arghhh!! ahwell its a good experiance eh ;)

well getting there ,heat wrapped the down pipe the other day so thats ready,

haha been playing auto electrician the last couple of days,

lmao!! had to get into the most awkward position possible to be able to see the plugs on the back, took me 15 minutes of pure struggleing to realise that the plugs are "locked"

in place by a bar! , lol i was like, surely these plugs cant be this tight!! ,

DSCF0115.jpg

had to prety much re arrange the whole loom and make certain wires longer , , takes awhile especialy when your triple checking every wire you do,

brought myself a blow torch soldering iron, i use the bare flame and its Mint!! i use it with thin plumbers solder , then use heat shrink wrap ontop,

DSCF0117.jpg

organised mess!! , the new ecu position, just goning to use a hot glue gun or some adhesive and bond the ecu to the bracket whn its in the right position,

DSCF0118.jpg

so made the adjustments in the loom , and loom taped it up to just past the brake servo and plugged it into the fusebox, just got an ign live to connect up and hopefully electrics wise inside the car should be done!, the plug for the dbw pedal is there ready, just made a start this evening on the brakcet for the pedal ,dont know how other pedals are but mine is going to need chopping and re welding with an offset put in to bring it to the right a few inchs,

need to source a bracket for the diagnostic port aswell, its new home

DSCF0120.jpg

DSCF0119.jpg

heres the plate im gona use for the pedal , just need to trim it here and there and drill some holes, hopeing to bolt it in with the 2 bottom bolts from the servo. gona use counter sunk bolts put in from behind the plate and tac weld the heads into the plate so its just three studs that the pedal bolts to , and then offset the pedal bar to bring it up and at 100mm center to match the old pedal

DSCF0125.jpg

heres the gap that needs to be made up,

DSCF0131.jpg

pedal finished, well almost ;)

i know some people have said how sensitive these pedals are especialy in 1st gear but i wonder how mines going to react now with it being alot longer then stock

might calm it down abit.

DSCF0134.jpg

DSCF0135.jpg

downpipe heat wrapped and bolted up

DSCF0137.jpg

engines back in , hopefully for good this time! gear cables connected , clutch slave cylinders in,

DSCF0136.jpg

got the brake servo and the clutch master cylinder back in {damn what a f-kn tight fit that is!!}, and the pedal arms hooked up,

found out that them two pedals sit slightly lower then what i used to measure up for my DBW

so as a result my dbw pedal sits slightly higher now,!! DOH! just need to chop 3/4" out the bar and re weld it ,

hopefully have my rad support panel back tomo from sand blasting , LOL im expecting a shed load of holes .

Edited by VW_OwneR_85

well its almost there!!

havent filled the cooling system yet,

just ironing out some wireing issuses at the moment, hopefully be sorted very soon,

cant wait to hear it running!,

DSCF0141.jpg

well after hours of hunting down the wireing problem {an un connected ECU live } the beast fires up!

just need to tidey up the loom and replace a few perm lives for ign lives add a few wires here and there and bobs ya uncle i'll be the proud owner of a 24v corrado ;)

DSCF0149.jpg

running like crap at the mo, need to feather the pedal otherwise it cuts out, so stoked on it starting though :)

little vid

th_Shestarts.jpg

Edited by VW_OwneR_85

mine when i first got it running had idleing issues. i found an air intlet leak and after sorting that all seemed fine. im starting to wonder if this idle issue is common on first start, maybe the ecu after the reprogramming needs a bit of time to settle down?!?!

congratulations on getting it started ,mine was also the same on first start up (i had not plugged one of the hoses on back of inlet manifold)check for air leaks ,,

24v sounds great doesnt it ;)