Critical_Mass

Radiator suppliers

Hi all,

My radiator is springing leaks left right and centre.

Ive checked with my mechanic and he can get me one for £110 plus vat. ECP do them for £175!!!

I didnt realise these were so expensive, or am i being a cheap skate!

Can anyone point me in the direction of somewhere that does them cheap, can they be got for cheaper?

In my search for a replacement rad for my G60 I went everywhere and talked to a LOAD of folk even in america... It would seem that £150 was the cheapest I could find for the now obsolete g60 rad.

I would think that you'll not get a brand new one for less than £100... I'd be biting your mechanics arm off personally!

Yeah think that may have to be the option ill take (it usually is). My sisters boyfriend works at ECP but at £175 even with discount i cant see it being as cheap as the one my mechanic can get from him suppliers.

---------- Post added at 02:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:37 PM ----------

Try this place Alex - http://www.carcooling.co.uk/catalog/VW_Corrado_88-1255-1.html

http://www.adrad.co.uk/car-radiator/catalogue.php?&manu=VOLKSWAGEN&model=CORRADO&year=1993

http://www.northernradiators.co.uk/products/car_radiators/volkswagen_radiator/corrado_radiator/index.html - This is the cheapest place.

Edited by Critical_Mass

i remember alot of threads on here where people have bought non-genuine VW rads and they have had problems with leaks, then end up going to VW and coughing up.

think i had to pay around £180 for a VR6 one, but it did look nice

---------- Post added at 02:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:05 PM ----------

the way i made myself feel better about it, was that the original rad lasted 15yrs and over 150,000miles

VW say the VR6 radiator is now obsolete. When i checked a few weeks ago there were just 2 dealers left with one in stock, Guernsey and Sterling.

/\ Oh FFS. The Corrado radiator is vehicle specific. VW are absolute chunts. I can walk into BMW dealers and still get nearly all parts for my ancient old Tourer.

Anyway, the original VR Radiator is made by Denso Marston and is the best bar none. They're based in Yorkshire and might be contactable to get one direct. As said above, I've yet to hear of a positive story from using a pattern radiator.

Feck. My VR is going to need a radiator at some point.. if VW have obsoleted that, I think I'm going to go and firebomb my local dealership!!

I paid about £220 inc VAT and discount a couple of months ago. At the time I thought it was a bit of a rip off, but since fitting it my coolant temps have been around 10-15 degrees lower than before, and at least I know it will hopefully last another 15 years! :)

Edit: and thats with a honking great intercooler infront of it :p

I wouldn't panic too much. Setrab and Mocal both have custom radiator services, so if it comes to it I can't think of any brands better than them tbh.....

They're based in Yorkshire and might be contactable to get one direct.

Doubt it, Kev. I heard that they have not made automotive radiators for years. Just commercial, agricultural, plant etc.

also, if AVS are anything to go by, then you wont be able to get one directly from them anyway (I rang them up to get a g60 one a few months back), even if they still do those radiators...

Feck. My VR is going to need a radiator at some point.. if VW have obsoleted that, I think I'm going to go and firebomb my local dealership!!

Likewise!!

Anyone checked if Classic Parts are making VR radiators? I don't have a part number to hand to check..

Well gone for one from ECP now, i know it maybe not as good as OEM but thats not looking promising going all the comments. Can get it at a discounted price of £88 inc vat and also can get it for tomorrow. Not sure my car will last much longer to be honest.

Serck still make one off rads !

All aluminium, go upto four core, they keep in stock nearly all templates for most road cars.I have dealt with them direct,and have used there products for years, top quality

Doubt it, Kev. I heard that they have not made automotive radiators for years. Just commercial, agricultural, plant etc.

Ah OK! They must have made one big consignment for VW all those years ago and then people have slowly eaten all the stock away.

what other rads could be used? What does the Mk 4 or 5 one look like and could it be adapted to fit with different hoses? Perhaps the fan thermoswitch could be grafted in to the header tank? Just a thought?

Are you sure it's obselete. Dealers seem to have a habit of saying parts are obselete when there is 1 left or there is zero stock in the UK.

When i enquired about 3 weeks ago i was given the same story by my local dealer

Discontinued last year, a single unit in stock at the German factory £200+

Guys

Possibly going to have a go at fitting a new rad tomorrow and ive read up on whats needed. BUt one think thats not been mentioned is how, once the slam panel is pulled forward a bit to allow access or removed completely, how do you keep the bonnet raised enough?

Im pretty sure on mine its attached to the slam panel (??)

Yeah just checked, the L shaped bit of metal the end of the bonnet stay rod attaches to is on the last bolt of the slam panel - the one at the back attahed to the wing ???

Anyone got any pics of theirs?

Edited by Critical_Mass