MikeVR6

Koni TA's - too damn low

My VR is running Koni top adjustable shocks and I'm unsure what springs, fitted by previous owner. Anytime there's weight in the back the wheels buff against the rear arches when I hit a bump. The ride is also very harsh even with the adjusters set on their softest setting.

Ideally I'd like to raise the car by 10mm or so. Would you guys recommend replacing the springs and shocks or can I just fit a set of better springs to achieve this?

might need to get the arches rolled plus change to better springs - yours may be ebay specials!

What Coullstar said really but skinny tyres will make your ride crashy and some brands are worse then others...

What springs are anyone using with Konis? I've got H and Rs and they're way to harsh for the roads round here. Would be interested in changing them for something else if anyone had any recommendations...?

Interesting comment. Dukest has the same combo and it is really comfortable. I have Nothelle springs but i dont know if theyare available elsewehere unfortunately...

I'm running 205/45 R16 Yokohama A520s. The suspension was fitted by a previous owner who was also on the forum Rick. He spent a lot of money on the car so it's hard to believe he would have used cheap springs. I'll have a look and see what's fitted. The ride is really firm and speed ramps/pot holes are a PITA. Hopefully changing the springs will do the trick. Any recommendations for springs? I see opinion is split on the H&Rs.

I wouldn't go with H&R's if you want ride comfort, they're not bad by any means but they're more biased towards handling then ride.

I'd go with Eibach's. I'm not sure if they're available just as seperate springs but the most comfortable set up i've experienced in a corrado was in my old vr which had fk konigsport coilovers wound down a fair bit. They had koni shocks like yours but fk springs.

Your tyres are nice and chunky btw so shouldn't be a problem there.

Eibach springs are firmer than the H&Rs - I run H&R springs with a 30mm drop with Bilstein B6 dampers on OEM Speedlines with 205/50/15 tyres as per spec and there is very little difference to standard ride quality, except on very bad surfaces. Wheel size and tyres are the biggest factor in imho - go back to 15s and you will notice a real difference.

I'll second that, Eibachs aren't generally softer than H and Rs. However I run H and Rs with Koni TAs and there is night and day difference between mine and a standard car. Mine handles like a demon but the ride is barely acceptable. In fact it isn't acceptable on anything other than a very good surface.

The rear Koni dampers (atleast on my G60) are "adjustable". That is, there's 3 grooves in the damper that you can somehow move the lower spring seat into, by moving a clip I think..

I managed to dig out a bad old picture, hopefully you get the idea.. If it's on the lowest you could try raising it.... :-)

The rear Koni dampers (atleast on my G60) are "adjustable". That is, there's 3 grooves in the damper that you can somehow move the lower spring seat into, by moving a clip I think..

I managed to dig out a bad old picture, hopefully you get the idea.. If it's on the lowest you could try raising it.... :-)

Mine have those grooves too, I think it will only change the stance i.e. height of the car, shouldn't affect the damping unfortunately.

I'll check the rears for adjustment. Maybe that will do the trick.

I had a look through the receipts that came with the car. This is the Koni kit http://www.venommotorsport.com/product_details.php?id=19513&manufacturer=Koni&category=Suspension

SSK27 and not cheap. But I see the drop is 30 - 35mm all round. Which is really too low for the roads around town.

I found an Eibach kit on E-Bay. 25mm drop on the back and 25-30mm on the front. Sounds much better. The same Eibachs for all models of Corrado?

They should be the same indeed, you may want to check if the spring rates differ between models as the VR is a bit heavier up front. I've never run eibach's on a corrado btw but have done on several other cars along with H&Rs a couple times, I think the ride on the H&R's is horrid baring in mind the drop you get. Obviously it depends on what your used to and how low you want the car. I'd consider FK's too actually as they're pretty much as soft as you'll get imo.

I've got the H&R/Koni setup.

Ride is a little harsh on the very worst roads, but not too bad otherwise. I do now subconsciously avoid potholes.

I would say that tyres can make a massive difference - I am on 16"/7.5 wheels - I originally ran 195/45/16s and they were awful. I am now on Conti Premium 2s in 205/45/16 guise and the ride improved substantially.

i would try somebodies set up if you could, befor you bought because there is that much choice, and what people can bare as comfortable, obviosly depends on the individual. i for instance have fitted gaz fast road shocks, and i thought with them set on fairly soft setting, not softest, lowered a bit when on 15" speedlines, felt like origional. when on 17" stretched a little coilovers hardened up, your spine want to go nthrough the top of your head, so with neverything there is a balance, its finding it, but at least with coilovers you can alter the height and the ride comfort to fine tune the ride.what et are your rear wheels