24V Renshaw

Renshaw project (probably going to sell / swap)

I used the stuff we put in our ultra sonic cleaner at work, rubbed it in with a stiff paint brush then jet washed it off.

All grime from the last 20 years gone... Hello OEM finish

Bit of progress today...

Decided after painting a few engine bits to fit my 288 brakes.

Removed the first side no problem, but the back plates have seen better days LOL!!

b2008239.jpg

Managed to install the new caliper, disc and pads no problem.

Used the MK4 hoses which if you open the hole out on the body mounting point to 16mm fit straight in no problem.

8d61f38c.jpg

The passenger side was also straight forward until I discovered the rigid pipe from the ABS unit was beyond repair, so I had to make up a new one. All went in great and will be bleeding it all in the morning..

107b353d.jpg

Started fitting all the oil cooler, filter housing etc back onto the block as well with a whole pile of new seals from VW to fit...

d6a241d3.jpg

Fairly confident it will be ready for Sunday...

Jay

Well after a major push last night I managed to get the car together to take it down to stealth for the corrado forum rolling road day.

Got the brakes bled and put the front end all back together.

519caa06.jpg

Having previously realised one of the plastic bonnet release guides was in two bits I went to VW to get a new one. Typically they are obsolete so a new one was made from a suitable piece of acetal.

91561536.jpg

The final job before the drive down was to put the interior of the doors back together after replacing them both. I was determined to keep everything original and was extremely pleased to be able to use the original plastic membranes with the sealer still being incredibly sticky after 17 years LOL.

47d335f4.jpg

I have to admit to being extremely chuffed with the car hitting 190BHP and 190lb/ft on the rollers and not a whisper of smoke or hesitation.

The drive to the meet and back was amazing and made me realise, even compared to modern stuff the corrado still holds its own in all areas.

I am a happy man.

Now the fun stuff starts! ;)

Good chatting with you today Jay and cant believe with the mileage it still pulled 190bhp! Get on with the polishing cos I definately think it will come up well.

Cheers for the tips on Ford gear.

Tiny update. Fitted a new OEM G60 gearbox mount, just to make sure everything is solid, while I finalise the details of my poly mounts (front and rear).

Also fitted a new engine cover (cheers Andy) as mine was cracked. Slowly but surely I am working my way through.

Going to start focusing on the bodywork and cosmetics a bit over the next couple of weeks now the basic mechanicals are useable..

New Gearbox Mount...

6b94149a.jpg

Playing with poly mounts...

cb726aa3.jpg

Getting better slowly...

fdff8a39.jpg

Cheers fella. I could write a list as long as my arm but in summary....

Clean the hell out of it, inside and out and gradually replace everything thats rusty, worn or shot.

Paint where needed to freshen it up.

New MK4 rear brakes

Mildly lowered decent suspension (e.g Koni shocks and springs)

Some nice lightweight classy 17's (e.g BBS RC's)

Climate control install

Clean it all again

Nice Exhaust

New Steering wheel

Then once I get to that stage I will decide what to do...

Decided to sort a couple more bits and have bought some new powerflex front subframe poly mounts which I will be fitting tomorrow night.

Also bought a set of Koni top adjustables and H&R springs, which should give me a sensible drop for daily use along with some 17" BBS RC's I will be picking up in a couple of weeks :)

Jay

Where did you get the Koni's from if you don't mind me asking. My front one just exploded! They are a good 7 or 8 years old though!

Joni - Larkspeed in Leeds do them - they were the cheapest web price I found too. I rang them to see if they had them in stock before I went to collect them, and they sold them to me at the web price rather than the in store price.

Alternatively, you can usually get the ones you have rebuilt by Koni.

Jay - must admit I find the H&Rs and Konis a touch harsh for daily use compared to standard especially on the appalling Sheffield roads, though they are bearable (though I guess it's not the first time you've used this combo!)

To be honest over the last few years I have always gone straight to coil overs.

My main reason for going struts and springs this time is that I know I won't think "oh I will just lower it a bit more". I want to spend time getting it sitting right on what it's got and leave it alone, while still retaining factory handling, decent ground clearance etc..

I am sure the H&R and Koni combo will be noticeably stiffer than stock, but if the damping is right and everything else is tight it should be a good thing....

Jay

Its a good combo IMO. I had this on my green one and it worked well, I didnt find it to harsh. The front does sit just a touch too high but some of those lowering caps would work perfectly. Heres the last photo of how it sat luckily with RC's as well.

Lovely. Were you running et35 on those or some spacers?

Looks purposeful without being impractical. Kind of Aston Martin stance :)

I agree a 10mm spring seat drop would make that perfect.

Jay

That looks spot on as it is imo. A mere 10mm is all it takes at the front end of a Corrado to turn a useable, but lowered car, into an unusable one.

H&R knew what they were doing with that ride height.

I have to admit the more I look at it the more I like that as it is. I guess I will have to see when I fit them, but either way it's the look I am going for.

I think I must be getting old, but I look and that and think it can "go some", where if it was lower it would be limited.

Kev - now all we need is the dropped spindles to match the 30mm drop :)

Jay