24V Renshaw

Renshaw project (probably going to sell / swap)

Popped round to Andys this morning and we spent a couple of hours, between cups of tea, wet sanding and then rotary polishing down one side of the car and the bonnet.

Pictures speak a thousand words, but I am gobsmacked by what Andy managed to get out of the paint with just the initial cut. I have a bit of time to spend now working my way round the car in the evenings and getting all swirls out as best I can....

Lots of swirls in the paint.

1a6439d8.jpg

Wet flatted with 2000 grit pad

c00030c4.jpg

Result after buff...

8240551a.jpg

Bonnet looks OK too ;)

afe5245a.jpg

Coming together slowly..

f2e23f80.jpg

Jay

Well you cant argue with the results but I would have suggested that jumping straight in with some wet sanding was risky. Personally I would have started with a heavy cut polish first...or did you do that? Does Andy have a PTG?

Gotta say rados do have awesome paint from factory, some great results you've got there. Are you still having the car painted?

Here's my old dbp vr (now swompys) after 1 hit with menzerna intensive polish (I normally follow this wih final finish but was short on time), no wax or sealant etc.

DSC00348.jpg

We had a go with a cut first using Mez on a coarse wool mop but it was just not taking out some of the deeper little scratches. The wet sand got them straight away and then was

easily lost.

Like I say we have only really done a first pass and I will now spend a long time going through all the stages over the next few weeks.

I am holding off paint until after the winter, partly due to this coming up so well.

Still loads to do but it's got me excited about cleaning it up.

Jay

Glad to hear that mate. I love detailing too. Nothing beats slaving away for hours cleaning the car lol.

Great results Jay,

Glad its given you more motivation, nice to see how this little baby is coming along

Cheers guys.

Got to thank Andy (C5 OEM) for his work, I am happy to have a good go at detailing but have always gone for fresh paint so am not that well practiced and it would have taken me a lot longer to get to this point.

I want the car to look smart for the winter and with a set of BBS RC'S on there and the konis I bought it should come together in the next few weeks.

Jay

That's the beauty of the original paint. It's that hard, all it needs is a wet sand and good mop to bring it back to life. I was astonished when my detailing friend went over the dull bodywork of the 8V. The pearl really "pops" now.

You can really see the depth of the pearl in your paint now.

Manchester detailing mafia in the house !

Mini update. After a quick wash in preparation for a bit more detailing yesterday I took one look at the rear wiper and decided it just had to come off as IMHO it looks completely out of place on the rear of a coupe.

1ab221ac.jpg

So it was out with the spanners and 5 mins later it was all smooth. A 5p rubber bung is it's replacement until I get the paint done at some point and make it permanent :)

5ef2b4e7.jpg

Oh and my shiny Miltek finally arrived, so I need to try and get that fitted soon.

Jay

does look much better without the rear wiper, and after the x5 let you down with the birth of your little girl i see something in your reg.

M326 ABY, take out the 26 and you have M3 ABY or perhaps i have drunk too much grolsch lol

Finally sourced myself some BBS RCs which are going to have a full refurb as although solid and overall pretty straight they have seen better days. A full set of four brand new continental sports 205/40/17 I managed to win for £300 on eBay are in the post to me to go on them and I have a pile of bits to fit to the car post powder coating. MOT is due at the end of March so I have some work to do.....

f9ba7b59.jpg

Jay

Nice wheels Jay, reckon if it wasn't for the scratch on that spoke you'd have got away with just a good clean!!

talk about curbage, looking forward to seeing what they look like after being re-furbed.

---------- Post added at 12:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:10 AM ----------

My all time favourite wheel.

same here, as i have had 4 sets of these while owning a corrado.

It makes me shudder to think that someone could neglect their car so much to let that happen.

What will you do to get them right ? Grind back the rough edges and fill the holes ?

The edges actually look a lot worse than they are it's mainly just the lacquer lifting and corroding. A quick rub back, full sand blast and powder coat and they will be as good as new :)

Jay

It's a common problem with these wheels, due to the factory finish.

I have the same alloys on my Mk4 Anni, the previous owner bought new ones due to the corrosion :lol:

Yeah I always preferred the painted versions anyway rather than the ball polished.

Can't wait to get them on now, but it's miltek exhaust fitment tomorrow first...

Jay