Sign in to follow this  
56 ragtop

Which Corrado Should I Buy??

Im seriousley thinking about getting rid of my mk3 and going the Corrado route. Ive wanted one for ages and can resist the urges no more. My choices are 8V, 16V & G60. Which would you recomend as a nice usuable car that will give comparable fuel economy and driving comfort to my Golf? Are the G60 horror stories true? Thanks

Ignore the 8v.

16v if insurance/running costs are a concern.

G60 if insurance/running costs are no problem and if tuning is something you want to do. Make sure the charger service is evident.

8v a bit lack-lustre performance wise, G60 charger worries, 16v my choice personally, but then I am biased! :D

ignore 8v...

16v can be nice...

G60 horror stories are bollox.. just make sure its been service/refurbished at the right mileage...

or go for a vr.. :-) :lol

i guess it depends on your budget really, dont view the 16v as a 'soft' option, they're still fairly rapid, but definatly go for the g60 if you can afford it 8) either way, you'll be gatting a great car.

Defo ignore the 8v - it was targeted at people doing the weekly shop :D

I'd agree with chrishill, go for a good g60 if you can sponsor it - if not the valver is still a great car.

56 ragtop, The 8v was aimed at the same old dears who bought the Scirocco and thought they were trendy young things,all show and no go :lol:

It really depends on what you are looking for in a car,if you want something just to pose around in any of the Corrados will do.If you want some show and go then the 16v fits the bill the running costs are not as great as the G60 or VR6.

The G60 is definitely more go than the 16v and can give the VR6 a good run for its money in standard form,and can wipe the floor with it in mildly tuned form.

The VR6 is very refined silky smooth six cylinder fantastic noise when being "booted" but the downside being it is very thirsty when being driven enthusiatically :!:

Really very much a case of you pays yer money and make your choice. :) :mrgreen:

same old dears who bought the Scirocco

Uhm, excuse me, but that I'll have to protest at, being a BIG Rocco-fan myself. I'll let you get away with it, though, :lol: as I don't know enough about the UK market back then compared to the German market back then. At least things have changed, more Roccos are now owned by enthousiasts.

all show and no go

Erm, nope, even not despite your smilie :lol: , as the DX-engine will cunningly demonstrate, or my tuned JH (which nobody this side of the small pond knows of :roll: ) :)

Tempest

Thanks for the advice guys. While running costs are not a principle deciding factor as such, just what sort of mpg can you expect from a stock G60? Im not skint, just tight as fcuk!!! :mrgreen:

The 2.0 8v is the most economical to run. Bulletproof reliable, "nippy" enough, rather than fast by anyone's description the engine is quite torquey and makes for relaxed driving. It's also cheap as chips to insure, particularly compared to the G60/VR6.

If you want the looks and a comfortable cruiser on a tight budget, but don't want to be racing Imprezzas then the 8v is not that bad a buy. Also less likely to have been hammered in their lifetimes, so more chance of finding a good one, so don't automatically dismiss it - it depends on your needs.

Fuel economy elsewhere in the Corrado range is pretty hard to find. Strangely, a lot of people reckon that a VR is equal or even better fuel economy wise than a G60, and the 16Vs are known to suck the gogo juice pretty hard if they're driving hard too. (And the 16v engine being a bit peaky it tends to encourage revving..)

From reading many a thread on this forum I would say the fuel consumption for the 16v, g60, vr6 are very similar. I have a vr6 and driven carefully can return low 30's in mpg. Have had up to 37mpg on a very, very chilled out sunday drive. I found it very surprising since the vr is just short of 3 litres. The sound and refinement is unbeatable. As the VW mechanic said to me today, its a hell of an engine.

ta

timo

Uhm, excuse me, but that I'll have to protest at,

Agreed, a few unwise sweeping statements used in Too Hot's reply there I feel.

K

Have had up to 37mpg on a very, very chilled out sunday drive. I found it very surprising since the vr is just short of 3 litres.

Tall gearing and aerodynamic body largely responsible for that!

As the VW mechanic said to me today, its a hell of an engine.

When it's behaving itself!

K

G60 all the way dude! - tuned versions will blitz a VR6 and most other things and still return an average 28MPG

The VR6 may sound lovely but cannot be compared to a tuned G-wobbler on full bore - the sound is awsome!

It will stay happy as long as you feed it correctly - mine likes citroen saxos and loves Civic type R's - I had to remove one from the air filter the other day.

:mad:

It will stay happy as long as you feed it correctly - mine likes citroen saxos and loves Civic type R's - I had to remove one from the air filter the other day

:lol: 8) :wink:

Don´t think too much! :roll:

Go for the G60! 8)

It is a good tunenable car! :mrgreen:

Just make sure to pay attention to your G60 charger, about rebuilds and stuff... :idea:

Enjoy the supercharged world! :D