alip_corrado

Engine loom tape

Hi all,

Probably going to seem like a bit of an odd one this but I'm odd so I'll ask anyway.

I'm doin some wiring in the engine bay and I'm finding that the tape/wrap around the looms has seen better days. It crumbles away when simply touching it.

I'm planning to take all the old crap stuff off the looms I'm working on and re-tape them with some fresh tape. I intend to use just plain old electrical tape. I just wanted to check if this would be ok, or if there could be some thermal issues (I'm guessing not as most looms don't come into direct contact with anything that gets very hot.

Would I be ok to just use electrical tape or is there anything else someone can recommend if not.

Many thanks in advance.

I picked up the cloth tape from Audi..... £5.84 a roll.

I did originally buy some off eBay, but it went up in flames like nobodies business when I did a little fire test!!! which I didnt think was good for engine bay tape..

The part number for the stuff from Audi is: 000 979 950.

Pete

maplins do self amalgamating too. don't use electricians tape, it'll come loose and look shoddy in no time with all the grime around an engine bay.

ive got a roll of genuine vw tape round my old mans house somewhere. if you cover postage its yours.

Fair cop. Will give the other chap til the end of the weekend. Should be able to grab it on monday.

Sound ill try and find it tomorrow and work out the price. Wont be more than £2 i imagine

Sorry mate, been meaning to reply, didnt make it round my old mans last week but im going on tuesday so will grab it then.

Seems a bit of a coincidence that the person who had revived this thread on their first post has a link in their sig for Adhesive & Pressure Sensitive Tapes Manufacturers ??

I have no association to this eBay seller but I use this Tape..https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TESA-TAPE-51608-ADHESIVE-CLOTH-FABRIC-WIRING-LOOM-HARNESS-15m-25m-19mm-15mm-9mm/252275241094

other sellers of Tesa tape are available..

Hmmm I've used Tesa tape on my engine bay... waterproof and heatproof... never had any issues with it.

Tesa tape is for interior looms, for engine bays you want the Scapa Rayon stuff

Direct info taken from the Tesa website... http://www.tesa.co.uk/industry/tesa-51026.html

(tesa® 51026 PET Cloth tape is designed for the engine compartment wire harnessing, providing high abrasion protection.) plus its almost visually identical to the oem stuff.

I've used it for many years without any problems.